• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what truck do you drive? poll

truck you're driving?

• Total voters

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
06 Super Duty. 9 Hours 1 way to the mountains !! Trucks Do Matter !!! >>>>.
GrandLake2009026.jpg

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
yeah a diesel is definatly nice for pulling. What cracks me up is that people think you need a chiped diesel to pull a couple of sleds around. If I was pulling a 30+ foot fifth wheel around all the time or something then I would have nothing but a diesel. But i dont. And winter cold sucks with a diesel. How did people ever pull a trailer 10-15 years ago before the big diesel fad? LOL!!!!!!!! To each his own

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
04 GMC yukon xl, 6.0 gas, 3/4 ton & quadrasteer. It's bone stock, has quad seating (makes it way easy to access 3rd row seats), seats 5 six foot + tall guys comfortably and stores gear inside warm & dry. Pulls a 4 place open w/5 sleds on it at 85 + mph all day at around 9 mpg. I have been in just about every brand & engine combo on trips west & have found my Yukon to be about the best comprimise between comfort, pulling power, fuel mileage & reliability. I'm not knocking anybody else's ride, this just works well for me.

Watching people come in from MN alot, I have to wonder why more people don't go with your setup. Cramming that many people into a truck really doesn't look that fun.

Nothing fancy here, just a 01 2500 dodge cummins. She isn't loaded, only has a smarty programmer for fuel mileage and the pulling the bigger loads, but you know she runs nice and gets the job done. Only things we are planning to put on her are some fender flairs and a grill guard.

bighorns071.jpg

Oct 27, 2008
old is good

well I've ran crew cab Chevy and ford both power stroke and duramax i love diesel but there is something about an old good built ford here is my 77 short bed was a 1/2 ton but that didn't last long after the built 514 was put in its sitting on 39.5 boggers it is a blast to drive and will pull any thing but when the peddle is down im looking at 5mpg maybe lol no replacement for displacement

100_0887.jpg

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I have an 01 Dmax I got for $3500 salvage yard special with 150,000 miles. Got about $7000 total in it. It is a good truck for what I do.

549ec604.jpg

68aa9de3.jpg

b5d3bd4c.jpg

What do you guys think is the weakest point of your truck in stock form?

I always felt the suspension was a little light duty on General Motors Trucks.

I have heard crazy stories about 6.0 Ford Diesels blowing head gaskets, turbos and injectors.

Dodge auto trannies are good for about 40,000 miles before they are toasted so I hear from my friend who is a Dodge garage mechanic.

The old 6.5 diesel GM motor is a total nightmear, which I had until it broke a crank, after it lunched the injector pump, after it killed the pmd brain on the pump, at 140,000 miles

The 7.3 Ford is an oil leaker and has a few electrical glitches but they sound like a lot of bang for the buck without any major malfunctions that are common.

This is just stuff I have heard around the shop except for my experience with the GM trucks.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
Dodge trannies are good for 40,000 miles? Umm, I guess that could happen if you chip the crap out of it and hot rod it, but in my experince they are good for a lot more then 40,000. Mine's got 130,000, my dad's got at least 160,000, both auto no issues with ether.

I would say the lift pump is the biggest issue on the dodges (diesel.) But that is not a hard fix, put a gauge of some sort to watch it or put in a aftermarket one.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS I AM GLAD THAT FORD DIDNT TAKE THE BUY OUT OPTION INSTEAD THEY OPTED TO SALE OFF SOME OF THEIR FORD EURO STOCK! AS FAR AS FUEL MILAGE GOES DON'T USE YOUR VERY UNRELIABLE COMPUTER READOUT ON YOUR CONSOLE! tHAT NEVER FLIES WHEN YOU HAVE TO FIGURE MILEGE FOR A LIVING.

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
06 Super Duty. 9 Hours 1 way to the mountains !! Trucks Do Matter !!! [/IMG]

17 hrs for me. You gotta be comfortable with four guys and the truck needs to be reliable for the bad weather; which seems to find me every time. '08 Super Duty for me. :D

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Who said anything about a truck? LOL

I'm rocking VW Diesel with some "work" done. Yanks my sled fine. Clearance is really the only issue.

J

jpstrr

Mar 14, 2009
Midwest
Has anyone done the DPF delete on a 6.7 cummins and actually seen a increase in fuel mileage, and if yes how much.

thanks

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
2002 and 2008 Dodge diesels. 02 is a 2500 quad cab, Edge Juice with Attitude controller, K&N intake, 4" exhaust from turbo straight back, billet auto tranny and torque convertor (ate 2 stock trans/convertors before I finally did this). 2008 is a 3500 mega cab completely stock (for now). The 02 gets around 14 mpg pulling my 27 ft enclosed with 4 sleds and 24 mpg empty. Haven't figured mileage on the 08 yet. Just bought the 08 and we'll see how it compares to the 02 towing my trailers. I know it's gonna be a lot nicer for long trips, it's got twice as much room as the old girl:face-icon-small-hap.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Has anyone done the DPF delete on a 6.7 cummins and actually seen a increase in fuel mileage, and if yes how much.

thanks

I'll let you know next week, I have the 5" turbo back exhaust in the garage and I'm waiting for the backordered H&S tuner to show up. The people I've talked to that have done it see close to 10 more MPG on the overhead lie-o-meter but about 5 or 6 hand calculated MPG. Give James at Rollin smoke Diesel a call, he knows what he's talking about and has some pretty good deals on exhaust and programmer kits.

C
Nov 23, 2009
2009 Dmax, 5" Black Ceramic MBRP Turbo back, 3" downpipe, Edge Evo Race, PPE mod airbox, 6" Procomp, 35" Toyo's on 20"s. I consider this my "summer sled". Tuning the diesel is almost as fun as tuning the sled. At least it holds me off until the snow flies. There is one huge advantage though... I can pick up waaay more chicks with the truck!
041.jpg

045.jpg

Premium Features