• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09-10 Dragons with the Pro-Tapers

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Another thing to watch out for...The factory wire ties that hold the hand grip heater wiring to the bars is wearing through the black protective coating causing the wires to short out to the bars. The wire ties are way too tight.

Another area of concern I noticed while dealing with this problem is the insane amount of corrossion in the electrical connectors for the hot grips from the main wiring harness.

The pics were hard to get good but it will give you an idea of what is happening.

5-9-1027pinesride001.jpg

5-9-1027pinesride002.jpg

5-9-1027pinesride003.jpg

5-9-1027pinesride004.jpg

And then they wonder why there's blown ECM's...Fuses are necesaary, Hello???

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dave... Great thread. Great pix that I appreciate seeing!!

This is typical of wiring in many of the Polaris sleds...

Also people who are cutting off zip-ties to fix something and then replacing them need to be careful not to over-tighten them. (snug... not tight)

IMO... it is a good idea to check over the ENTIRE wiring harness on the sled, pull covers, consoles, pipes, airboxes etc and make sure things are routed correctly, and not chaffing thru as shown in Daves pics... add chafe protection as needed and don't tighten the zip ties too much as this can break the wire inside of the insulation and you won't even know that it is broken.

Dave makes a great point... an inline fuse on the grip heaters would be a great idea to add on to the system... if your throttle or the brake gets rotated from a crash or rollover (especially on the non dragons/PRO's) or the bars get twisted up.. the grip heaters WILL short out. Same goes for some of the other circuits in a crash... there really are no fuses on the sled... Bummer.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dave brings up a good point about corrosion ... especially for sleds on open trailers (even covered).

Dielectric grease should be part of the pre-delivery program from the factory/dealer... but it isn't...
In all the connectors, especially non-sealed ones like the grip heaters, those should get a good dose of the grease to keep corrosion to a minimum.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Dave brings up a good point about corrosion ... especially for sleds on open trailers (even covered).

Dielectric grease should be part of the pre-delivery program from the factory/dealer... but it isn't...
In all the connectors, especially non-sealed ones like the grip heaters, those should get a good dose of the grease to keep corrosion to a minimum.

I was putting dielectric grease on mine when I found the harness rubbed through from the plastic cover over the electronics. I have to look at my grips I have one that gets hot and the other barely gets warm

B

beefspots

Mar 10, 2008
Dayton, Wyo.
rmk let me know if you figure out why one heater is hot and the other is warm....................i have replaced mine and its still the same one hot the other is warm.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
rmk let me know if you figure out why one heater is hot and the other is warm....................i have replaced mine and its still the same one hot the other is warm.

if I remember, put all the sleds in the trailer to get them out of the way before my back surgery should be sometime this summer

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
grip heater fuse

What amperage fuse would need to be installed inline to protect the wire harness? Not sure what the amp draw is on high heat.

G

gijoe

Feb 14, 2011
Utah
Dave makes a great point... an inline fuse on the grip heaters would be a great idea to add on to the system... if your throttle or the brake gets rotated from a crash or rollover (especially on the non dragons/PRO's) or the bars get twisted up.. the grip heaters WILL short out. Same goes for some of the other circuits in a crash... there really are no fuses on the sled... Bummer.[/QUOTE]

Great info. What size fuses should we put in there?

Premium Features