• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010-2011 M8 which lightweight can

B
Nov 28, 2007
Laramie, wy
HPS can i think works the best for the M's. Had a DandD on my m7, created a bog, went to HPS and never looked back. Beware they are loud though, easily one of the loudest in our group other than the turbo 1000, but it only barks when u get it up to mid to high RPM range, so loading it shouldnt be a problem. my 2 cents

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Do you have a picture of the hps can you put on your 2010. Or is that it? Putting one on mine oncei pick it up

C
I would eventually like to get a can for my 10 M8, but I am going to be patient and wait, to see what really works. For the money I want something that will enhance the performance, not take away, and of course the loss of weight.
So far, I've heard some are using the D & D can installed on the 09 M1000's, as the stock muffler is the same as the 10 M8's. So it fits and apparently with no loss in performance.
It is early yet and I want to hear more before making the move.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Anyone run the speedwerx can?? It exits out the tunnel but goes through the footwell to do so. Looks like it could cause a little boot melting.....

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
hps

I like the looks of the HPS does anyone know if the 2010 hps for the m8 is out yet?

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
going to be purchasing a 2010 m8 sp 162. I guess the first thing i want to do is get rid of the suitcase it has. Does anyone have a sound clip on some cans. I been looking at hps and super Q. What about jaws and mbrp?
On my 07 m8 i has a speedwerx but am looking at something else this year. Looking for something that sounds good and has a good tone. Nothing to extremely loud.
Thanks in advance

If you dont want loud then dont get a jaws. In my mind the MBRP cans sound the best on the M8's. I have never heard an hps...or at least didnt know it was one. The super q sounds nice as well but I liked the sound of the mbrp can better on my sled.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
Be Carefull...

It seems surprising that there are so many silencers offered for such a new package. Or perhaps not so surprising considering the fitment is identical to its big brothers silencer. There were only a handful of 010 M8s out on the snow last spring. This begs the question as to how the development process was so quick to yield so many choices. Our testing yielded some interesting results with regard to performance. We tried a Speedwerx M1000 silencer, it fit nicely and seemed to run well on the snow. However some dyno testing proved particularly interesting with the results showing a nearly 5 hp loss yet no other significant adverse runnability issues. This resulted in immediate design changes to create a production piece that ultimately didn't lose power. That being said I would respectfully caution all considering silencer options to be careful because of the possibility of turning a great running sled into a good running one. Also to take noise considerations seriously as Colorado riders will find themselves explaining to noise enforcement personal why they're sled exceeds the 96 db limit and being fortunate to be allowed to go home without having been issued a ticket. It has been communicated that db compliance testing will likely ensue at major riding areas in December.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Most cans lose HP and thats a fact. From what i understand mbrp is one of the worst and hps and super q are some of the better ones but all will lose a little hp and some will cause a bog on bottom end, stick with the factory and your sled will thank you.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
I not sure I agree with most silencers effecting a power loss however certainly most do not gain much if any. It is a particularly sensitive issue on the 2010 M8 due to the nearly 23lb stock unit (most will be inclined to replace), and that fact that the M1000 cans do fit but may cause significant power loss. When you consider the the 09 silencers weight of approximatly 12lbs and that the 2010 M8 did manage a net weight loss over the 09 M8, even considering the weight of the silencers respectively... It leaves us greedy to finish the job, it would just be a shame to do it in trade for the 010 perf gain.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
So the 09 M8 can will not fit on the 10 M8????. Ill have to head over to the deal and take a look at one of these new motors as i havent seen one yet.

As far as I know it won't fit. The stock can is the same as the m1000. I ran hps can on my 07 without any other mods and really liked it. Hopefully hps will have another good can for this 2010. I think mmsports ran a hps can from an m1000 on the 2010 m8 and liked it.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I have had good luck with the Skinz Ultra-Q on my M, and did not feel a loss of power from the low-end up to the top. I have also heard Skinz is one of the best in providing a significant weight loss without loosing you power. Speaking with the the guys at skinz about a week ago they are not going to make the 2010 M8 can the same can as the M1000 unless it performs to their liking; should have a better idea after they do some additional testing. I have been a big fan of these guys, and I believe they sell products that flat out work.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Talked with Scott today about the HPS cans. Said the cans are almost ready to ship about another week or so. $389. Drop 17 and a half lbs. No loss in power zero zilch nada. I'm ordering one as soon as they are ready to ship. he said they've been working with a 2010 hcr since last year. Can't wait to get my can for my sno pro

Monty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wet Coast
I not sure I agree with most silencers effecting a power loss however certainly most do not gain much if any. It is a particularly sensitive issue on the 2010 M8 due to the nearly 23lb stock unit (most will be inclined to replace), and that fact that the M1000 cans do fit but may cause significant power loss. When you consider the the 09 silencers weight of approximatly 12lbs and that the 2010 M8 did manage a net weight loss over the 09 M8, even considering the weight of the silencers respectively... It leaves us greedy to finish the job, it would just be a shame to do it in trade for the 010 perf gain.

Well put, that's why my mbrp silencer will sit at my dealers until some testing get's done.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I have had good luck with the Skinz Ultra-Q on my M, and did not feel a loss of power from the low-end up to the top. I have also heard Skinz is one of the best in providing a significant weight loss without loosing you power. Speaking with the the guys at skinz about a week ago they are not going to make the 2010 M8 can the same can as the M1000 unless it performs to their liking; should have a better idea after they do some additional testing. I have been a big fan of these guys, and I believe they sell products that flat out work.

I will obviously second the notion that Skinz are top notch people making top of the line products.
A few things to consider with silencers. When a company advertises a hp increase from a silencer it isn't necessarily the silencer causing the increase. Rather it is a mathematical equation of the power to weight ratio you have changed. Basically, dropping weight will free up HP. So hypothetically you may gain 5 and loose 5.
Some cans can loose HP. There is no doubt. Some companies have a standard design that they just make fit onto each particular sled. That is the extent of their design and research. Some people just want loud and there are companies out there that will just sell you loud.
Other companies do extensive testing with flow rates that need to mimic the stock exhaust. I'm not an expert in the field of expansion chamber design, but the technology seems to be changing. Much like we are seeing with Polaris. Manufactures are counting on the silencer to provide some of the back pressure for the pipe. I believe this allows for a more usable power band, but requires the pipe to work more in conjunction with the silencer. Long gone are the days when you could ride with just the pipe and the silencer did nothing more than silence.
A lot of first year silencer design is probably done with a prayer. As consumers we hate it, but some times we are the product testers. As stated, the better companies sit down and really study what role the silencer is playing other than to silence. They do their homework and take their knowledge and send out a product with a 99% probability that it will work great!
As for manufactures putting effort into silencer design, I don't think it is at the top of the to do list. They produce a product that passes epa regulations and works with their motor and pipe design. They do this with the idea that 90% of these silencers are going to be taken off within the first week and end up in bargain bins at next years haydays. It hardly pays to start using titanium and exotic materials and technology to lighten their silencer if it is going to add another 500$ to the cost of your sled. Especially when you will switch out the silencer anyway for half that.
Sorry for the long read. My bad.
Cheers :beer;

Premium Features