• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1989 Ski-Doo Safari Cheyenne Voltage Regulator/Rectifier Problem

Jul 23, 2014
I have been experiencing headlight/taillight bulb burnouts. I tested the AC voltage at the headlight socket and found that it surged above 15 volts. Since bulb burnout is commonly a result of a defective voltage regulator I pulled what I believe is the voltage regulator from under the engine (1st picture of connector location under engine attached and four yellow wires and one red wire in connector). My sled has electric start (battery). The voltage regulator is made by Tympanium (2nd picture attached). The Tympanium unit has three wires (yellow, red and green) (3rd picture attached). So, the first question is: Is this Tympanium unit just a voltage regulator or is it a combo unit voltage regulator and rectifier (to charge the battery with DC)? The second question is: What is the function of each of the three colored wires? Note: The shop manual states that the AC ground is a separate circuit from the DC negative ground circuit.

Voltage Regulator-Rectifier Female Connector.jpg Voltage Regulator-Rectifier Tympanium Mfg.jpg Voltage Regulator-Rectifier Wires.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2014
I was hoping to get a direct replacement - regulator/(rectifier?) unit plus 3 wires with matching colors and connectors. However, I have not been able to find one. Thanks for the web link. I'll add that to the others that may be a potential source. Our local snowmobile shop could not find a replacement nor part number from their distributors. There are many potential units on eBay as well as other sites - http://www.steadfastcycles.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4207. I can forego the rectifier portion because I rarely use the electric start. The sled is so easy to start with the pull cord. My main concern is wiring it up properly not knowing the function of each colored wire on my original unit.

Voltage Regulator-Rectifier Male Connector - Image Size Adj.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2014
Voltage Regulator Problem Fixed

Ordered VOLTAGE REGULATOR SKI-DOO SAFARI GRAND LUXE LC 1984-1988 SKIDOO from Castric on Amazon for $33 + free shipping. Came with simple instructions to match existing color coding with new voltage regulator color coding. Regulator is not easy to get out below engine but possible by unscrewing two screws. Old regulator terminal pins in gray connector were easily removed with needle nose pliers. New voltage regulator wire terminal pins easily snapped in. Checked out the A/C voltage at headlight connector and new voltage regulator kept voltage less than 15V. Installed taillight and headlamp bulbs and I am back in business.

Thanks for SnoWest Forum assistance. :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features