• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

yamicat has no TCL

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Looks like the cast aluminum arm may be bolted to the engine to support Its left side and fastened to the secondary and frame making it a TCL.

My concern is AC will give us '12-13 owners a new improved TCL before next season after I've spent $700 on TTCFs.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Fairly confident that there is not a true tcl on the viper. I am quite familar with nytro engine mounting as well as the proclimb. They typically have a bolt that runs from one sled of the sled all the way across to the other side. I assume this bolt goes through the cast pc on both sides. Also the motor mounts are very rigid on a nytro motor this way. I May look into installing my 11t engine into my sled this way this summer with some billet.

I uploaded a pic with the areas circled that the two long bolts go through.

Last edited:

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Keep the Suzuki twin

I hope Cat keeps the 1100 Suzuki and lets Yamaha mount and clutch it. The Yamaha triple is a great engine but I like the twin better. Yamaha knows how to build and clutch a four stroke and Cat can build a great riding chassis.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--It sits a little higher because it has rear exhaust -- it also has probably
has better cg and balance with that configuration.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/Arctic-Cat-Yamaha-Speculation--Reading-Between-the-Lines

You can see the engine motor mounts in the above link.

There is no TCL on this engine. It also sits way too high, you could fit a small child underneath it.
I'm sure this will be one of those "subject to change" things that happen before final production

It sure does look like they could mount it lower. . . But is lower better? If you know what I know about yamaha and some may. . . The Engine mounting points, nytro, vector, apex, rx1, even the phazer engine are in the same location relative to the clutch location. So my theory is that some new yamaha motor is going to fill this area in and rather than engineering the mount points twice they made it the same, as it likely doesn't matter that the nytro motor is higher.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
you want a lower center of gravity, the lower the weight the easier it is to lay over and the less it wants to counter roll (go the other way when you plane out)

the lower center of gravity in the M series is one of the reasons its such a predictable sled on its side, and is so easy to flick around.

-Aksnopro

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
you want a lower center of gravity, the lower the weight the easier it is to lay over and the less it wants to counter roll (go the other way when you plane out)

the lower center of gravity in the M series is one of the reasons its such a predictable sled on its side, and is so easy to flick around.

-Aksnopro

Are you sure? The prormk is extremely easy to roll over and the engine is mounted fairly high in the chassis?

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
Cat has been working on getting the motor down and back for some time.
It's the reason for the laydown motor.
It's the reason they angled the cylinder base on the ZRT600's in the mid 90's.

This is Cat's project, Yamaha approves and signs off.
My bet you will see that motor a lot lower by the time it comes to production.
They can easily redo that Exhaust manifold

Question I have is will we see a TCL on 2014 Cat's?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Cat has been working on getting the motor down and back for some time.
It's the reason for the laydown motor.
It's the reason they angled the cylinder base on the ZRT600's in the mid 90's.

This is Cat's project, Yamaha approves and signs off.
My bet you will see that motor a lot lower by the time it comes to production.
They can easily redo that Exhaust manifold

Question I have is will we see a TCL on 2014 Cat's?

Coming from someone who has mounted a yamaha motor in a chassis that was not designed for it. I know that it is not as easy to get the motor down and back. Th stater is under there. . and the motor mounts are there to and are cast into the block. I highly doubt you will see motor position change from now to production. They were probably able to move the motor a inch to the rear of the chassis with mounting it higher and there were more benefits of being back farther than having to be 2 inchs forward and 2 inch lower.

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I can see too low a CG in a mountain sled to be an issue.
Theres a fine line to balance it on it's side. Too low and it will want to come back down. Too high and it will fall on it's side.
Boat manufactures study this big time too.

These are trails sleds, lower the better=flater

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
Coming from someone who has mounted a yamaha motor in a chassis that was not designed for it. I know that it is not as easy to get the motor down and back. Th stater is under there. . and the motor mounts are there to and are cast into the block. I highly doubt you will see motor position change from now to production. They were probably able to move the motor a inch to the rear of the chassis with mounting it higher and there were more benefits of being back farther than having to be 2 inchs forward and 2 inch lower.

Agreed,
I think this will be a very nice maching (if your into 4 strokes)
I am excited about this partnership with Yamaha. I think this will bring AC to a whole new level. Bring a very good machine to a great machine.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I can see too low a CG in a mountain sled to be an issue.
Theres a fine line to balance it on it's side. Too low and it will want to come back down. Too high and it will fall on it's side.
Boat manufactures study this big time too.

These are trails sleds, lower the better=flater

True. . . But possible trade offs once again to a trail sled. Is that you can have it super wide and that inch taller might not matter because it makes ease of manufucturing the same from mounntain to trail. But may be better for mountian. Thats my hopes anyways.

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
When I went into the Navy I had not idea what I wanted to do. I did know I wanted to go into Engineerng.
I got out as a Boiler Technician and 24 years later still boil water for a living.

Had I known then what I know now I would have went into the service but leaned torward Mechnical Engineering.
I think it would be a blast to work R&D at Arctic Cat

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
When I went into the Navy I had not idea what I wanted to do. I did know I wanted to go into Engineerng.
I got out as a Boiler Technician and 24 years later still boil water for a living.

Had I known then what I know now I would have went into the service but leaned torward Mechnical Engineering.
I think it would be a blast to work R&D at Arctic Cat

I too would love to work at cat. . . And I think it I was to persue it I could in some shape or form other than on the line. . . But you honestly could not pay me enough to move my family to TRF. Just nothing up there.

Premium Features