• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to the mountain scene

S
Sep 20, 2009
Big Sky, MT
Alright guys, first off I have to say that this site rocks, the amount of information I've found on here is priceless! I just moved out here to Big Sky, Montana this March. I've always been a sledneck back in ol' NW Minnesota, but after riding around the course a little in the company sled (05 800 RMK) I was absolutely hooked with riding on 6 feet of untouched powder. Which is one of the major reasons I've decided to stay for the winter.

I just purchased an 07 M8, completely stock, and I'm looking for some help on the "must purchase" extras while I have some time, and some extra cash. I looked at the SLP pipe kit, but after doing a little reading, i'm a little confused if i have to put a boondocker on ($400?) after installing it. and it sounds like i'll have to heat tape a few things in the engine compartment right? Anyhow, any ideas would help if you feel they are definitely needed. I love wrenching on my toys, but it sounds like i'm a rookie compared to most of the members of this site.

Pumped for snow!

Snowdrift

DSCN1588.jpg

Last edited:

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Welcome to the forums!

Sweet Sled!

There is quite a bit of info if you search for the SLP Pipe Setup on the M8. I know of many sleds running the SLP setup without a fuel controller, even from 0-3000 Ft.

Also on the 2007, consider doing the Float Conversion on the rear suspension. I did this on my 06 M7 and I thought it was a great upgrade in handling and overall weight reduction.

The 2007 M8 is unique as far as mods and making power compared to the other Cat 800's, Check with RkTek on here and ask him about his setups and which worked best on his 2007.

John

Last edited:

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
you will not need the boondocker with the the SLP pipe. Its the best bang for the buck IMO.

Other must does to the 07 M8 is Fastllane - No snow running boards
also what Dragnman said. the original high lifter jack. Best $200 I have spent on this sport :beer;

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
venting and heat protection, if you want to ride the deep. fastlane nosnows and a bdx or ve bumper kit, and you've got one of the best tunnel setups for less than $400, if you run the bdx. the nosnos on the 07 are absolutley the best you'll ever buy, after more than 10 years of fighting ice filled running boards i don't ever even think about it anymore. in fact they're one of the favorite mods i've put on my sled. lots of ways to loss weight quick and realitivley cheap.

T&A1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Craig, Colorado
My own opinion...... I would go with the speedwerx exhaust. The fit and finish isn't as nice as the SLP but the tunnel exit silencer gets rid of any powder bogging. I have the slp and I'm switching to SW this season!!

S
Sep 20, 2009
Big Sky, MT
Welcome to the forums!

Sweet Sled!

There is quite a bit of info if you search for the SLP Pipe Setup on the M8. I know of many sleds running the SLP setup without a fuel controller, even from 0-3000 Ft.

Also on the 2007, consider doing the Float Conversion on the rear suspension. I did this on my 06 M7 and I thought it was a great upgrade in handling and overall weight reduction.

The 2007 M8 is unique as far as mods and making power compared to the other Cat 800's, Check with RkTek on here and ask him about his setups and which worked best on his 2007.

John
Thanks John, I'll do that. I just want to make sure it's going to be worth the cash, I believe it's around $700 (pipe kit). The float conversion you're talking about, is that just a swap of shocks, or a whole new skid?

I got my first taste of "real" snow up in northern Michigan a few years back. A few buds of mine and I went up to Houghton, or as we called it that weekend "ooooton." Had a blast, although I only riding around on my little ZL 440, which did alright in my opinion for what I had to work with.

I wonder why it's necessary to have these boondocker kits on your sled with modifications, shouldn't the sitock EFI monitor air/fuel ratios and adjust accordingly? Anyhow, thanks to everyone for all the great posts, just realized that the sled already has the nosnows on it, NICE!

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
- Yep I ride the Keweenaw Peninsula from the Bridge on Northbound. Houghton has grown a lot over the years, still an awesome place to go for rididng as you are in the center of all the action.

The pipe kit can be found for less than 700 for sure, but still a big investment. Actually arctic cat makes a bolt-on kit for the rear skid, I think it goes for like $470.00 (PM Freeagent and she usually has the best price) and replaces the torsion springs with a fox float setup, you get a lot for the money on this kit.

Like I said, the 07 reacts a little different to mods than other years, RKtek has done extensive testing on the 07 800 versus say an 08. Kelsey can give you a pretty good setup to run.

Take Care,

John

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.
the stock fuel injection run an open loop system and it doesn't adjust as much as a closed loop system like a car. there isn't an oxygen sensor so it can't tell if it is rich or lean as well with just a pipe temp sensor. I would run a fuel controller just so you can adjust the fuel curve, if you don't have one you can't adjust anything.

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
...shouldn't the sitock EFI monitor air/fuel ratios and adjust accordingly? Anyhow, thanks to everyone for all the great posts, just realized that the sled already has the nosnows on it, NICE!

No, two stroke EFI on snowmobiles is not closed loop like on automobiles. On cars the computer reads output from the oxygen sensor and adjusts. Although some people are experimenting, the factories have not done it yet on two strokes. My guess is that sensor reliability does not meet their standards yet. EFI on a snowmobile follows a preset map based on a bunch of things like throttle position, temp, pressure, etc. but not O2 yet.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Agree with previous post... talk to Kelsey at RK Tek. He has some great setups for the M8. Start with the secondary clutch kit from him. Best bang for your buck. IMO

Here's a link to his page.

http://2strokeheads.com/

Good luck and have fun,
Boone

Premium Features