• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's the deal with fuel boxes?

K
Dec 23, 2007
Hey guys...
I'm new to the Cat scene as of 3 days ago..
I'm now on an 08 M8, bone stock right now, and coming from an 800 RMK, I love it.

Over the summer, Im planning on Reeds, a pipe/can/y pipe, SLP's intake, and because I hear they're needed, a boondocker fuel box.

Now, my question is, what do these do?
Are they mandatory?
What if I, as a 16 year old, have no experience on an EFI sled, or how to tune air/fuel?!?

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
slp set up

I hope to save you alot of problems . I had a 05 m7 I put pipes boondocker box ,reeds and intake on it . All I had was nothing but problems with it . The box makes it go from a sled that adjusts the fuel automatic to one that you have to all the time some times several times a day . The best thing is on your 800 you don't have to run a box on it if you use slp set up . So a long store short that is what I would do . Maybe call slp and talk to them.

U
Jan 15, 2008
Bellingham,WA
The minute u change anything from stock it deviates from the factory tuning (the motors computer). To adjust the fuel curve u nead the box. My advice to you is leave it stock. The M8 is a great sled stock. Ride it a year, then think about changing things.

K
Dec 23, 2007
Ok.
I kind of recall reading on here a while ago, a bunch of guys posting about how much trouble they've had with their Boondocker boxes.

So the ECU(??) will automatically adjust for the pipe, reeds, and intake?

And then all I'dhave to touch is the clutching, correct?

U
Jan 15, 2008
Bellingham,WA
The ecu is set up for the stock parts, if you change any of those parts the ecu,s settings from the factory will not match the new requirements created by the aftermarket parts. Thats where the fuel box comes in. And lots of guessing! If you want to ride leave it stock.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
The ecu will not make adjustments for aftermarket add ons. It is designed to run with the stock equipment. If you add pipes, cans, reeds, head, etc... the sled will sometimes not run correctly. I'm not saying that you need a BD box to run heads and a pipe, but it may be needed to get the sled to run correctly if the add on make the performance worse than the stock stuff. Some manufactures say thier stuff doesn't need a fuel controller and others do. Best thing to do is call the manufacture and tell them what you want to do and ask them if you need a controller with those items.

B
Nov 29, 2007
Sherwood Park, AB
I run a 07 M8 with the SLP single set up, timbersled intake, attitude box and digatron. I ride from 1500-8000ft so the box was only for protection at lower elevations but up over 5000ft the box is basically set up to a point were it's out of the picture and running great. I have only had it out for 1 day since the install but there is a definate difference in performance.....actually quite impressive!!! I did add a little fuel in the pilot and needle range(green and yellow) up the trail and once at elevation(6 - 8000ft) and 2 long pulls later I cut back as much fuel as possible. I have read on here that once you start loading up the motor with cluthing you have the potential to add more fuel but I have not got to that point yet. If you don't run at low elevations I wouldn't waste your money, but be careful on the trail IMO!!

Have fun with it your on a great sled and clutching alone will give you nice gains.

B
Nov 29, 2007
Sherwood Park, AB
The ecu is set up for the stock parts, if you change any of those parts the ecu,s settings from the factory will not match the new requirements created by the aftermarket parts. Thats where the fuel box comes in. And lots of guessing! If you want to ride leave it stock.

Stock is set up with a lot of safey, and if you add aftermarket products on in baby steps NO there is NOT a lot of guessing, just need to understand what you are adding to your engine.

B
Dec 21, 2006
I will disagree with 6-go's statement a little. The aftermarket product would have had to cause the failure. SLP runs there single, intake, and V-Force on that sled with no fuel mods. The M8 from the factory is very fat in the fuel. That is why you can add some performance without adding fuel. It is already there. Be careful though in the 6000-6500 rpm range though as A/C leans out right there. If you cruise at that rpm for too long your egt's will keep rising.

K
Dec 23, 2007
Ok so if I want to even throw a can on, to get rid of the stock sound, I could do that and not expect to have to touch anything, or are these things so touchy feely that the slightest thing will throw it out that little bit?

SLP's ad for that BD box says that weith a pipe, reeds, and intake, the box isnt needed but more significant things such as a head or nitrous, you'll need to use it.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i am in the midst of modding my 07/m8...bigbore,nitrous etc,etc...in retrospect l should have considered only the slp pipe and can if it could be done without the controller,and then just concentrated on lightening her up...aftermarket air intake,mesh hood,timbersled rear skidand possibly the barkbuster frt,oil injection elimination,Stm valves,Bdx rear bumper,clutching etc etc etc...that the direction l would go...engine basically stock,a wicked sled with every other piece getting put on as you can afford it and not affecting your reliability...and in the end of it all...if you want..then boost it...but you sure will be happy in the meantime..

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I hope to save you alot of problems . I had a 05 m7 I put pipes boondocker box ,reeds and intake on it . All I had was nothing but problems with it . The box makes it go from a sled that adjusts the fuel automatic to one that you have to all the time some times several times a day . The best thing is on your 800 you don't have to run a box on it if you use slp set up . So a long store short that is what I would do . Maybe call slp and talk to them.

My understanding of the way a Boondocker Fuel Box works is that if only modifies the fuel signal from the ECU. If I am right the ECU still compansats for tempature and altitude. So if you add fuel at any rpm you are only adding fuel to what the ECU is already telling the injector to do.

JasonAK

B
Jan 3, 2008
I run jaws twins on my m7 and a bd box...

They were easy to dial in and the mapping once dialed is left alone. I picked up alot of performance on my sled, and I would do it again in a second. What Jason said is correct, the stock ecu signal is modified downstream of the signal to the injectors by the control box and can change pulse length plus or minus.
After years of riding big bore carb mod sleds, this thing was the easiest sled I have ever dialed in. JMO. John

K
Dec 23, 2007
You guys sound experienced and know what you're doing... I'm 16 and would probably set it up to burn it down before doing it right.

Is it just like.. endless possibilities you can mess with or what?
The sled works very well from what I can tell with the 168 miles on it...
Pretty sure it's broken in now, but I just want it to have a bit snappier sound (can) and maybe try for a bit more throttle response (reeds, intake, pipe)

But from what I've read... I can only get that most are saying with anything more then a can, I'm going to have to mess with fuel settings VIA a BD box?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Jason,

That is what BD say's but I have not seen one that works like that. That is also why you can have multiple maps loaded.

This depends on the level mods - the more you deviate from the factory mapping and power (say a big bore kit) the more you'll have to dink with the map throughout the day. An SLP pipe set should be a "set it and forget" mod as it isn't adding TONS of fuel to run spot on. Don't waste money on reeds, the stockers work fine. The intake is preference, but i seriously doubt any offered will add power, most will loose it - BUT a good aftermarket intake will lessen deep pow bogging that the Ms have some issues with and an intake will definitely loose weight!

As for the ECU not compensating because you have a BD box (or any box) is crap. It still does the exact same thing it did before - but the BD box just adds or subtracts fuel on top of the factory mapping changes. Again - the reason you see people messing with the boxes throughout the day is usually because they've added enough power that the factory mapping adjustments don't match what the new added power mods need at different elevations, temps changes, etc - in other words the factory ecu is correcting for the needs of a 700, but you're running a 900. The 900 isn't always gonna need exactly 10 points of adjustment at WOT - sometimes it will need less, sometimes more, thus the need for continued adjustment. Stay small in the mods (m8 with an SLP setup) and you won't be monkeying with it much, if ever. Hope this helps.

:D

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
If it was me i would leave it stock , and spend my money on light weight parts. A Boss seat will dump 10 + lbs off that sled , and that is before your stock seat soaks up a bunch of water.

In the 09 Arctic Cat accesory (spelling:confused:) book you can get a kit for the A arms that will dump a few lbs and it costs less than a $100. And maybe a can for a few more lbs off the front end. All of these things will make the sled feel like it has more power , but will not VOID your factory waranty.:beer;

Last edited:
Premium Features