• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'18 TS ordered, which bike to put it on?

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I've done some research and see a few different opinions on what makes a great snow bike. Some like close ratio transmissions, others prefer wide ratio. I've narrowed my choices on bikes to get for my '18 LT 137 Timbersled LE w/ TSS to 3 bikes: Beta 500RRS, Honda CRF450RX, Yamaha YZ450FX. All bikes have EFI and would need bigger tanks.

Beta:
Pros- 200W stator, factory lights (street legal for the summer!), factory thermostat, 6 speed gearbox, big bore thumper, 12 month warranty, broad power curve, electric start and kick start backup stock, spark arrestor comes stock, Italian princess.

Cons/others- Wide ratio trans (could be con, could be pro), $10k price tag, more linear power band (could be easier to ride, but won't have that mx thrill)

Honda:
Pro- Reviews claim a powerhouse for a motor, Honda shop is minutes from my house, electric start and kick start back up.

Cons/others- Only 90W stator, unproven since it's a brand new model (?), 5 speed gear box, close ratio trans (again, could be a good thing?), twin exhausts make adding spark arrestors more expensive, no stock lighting

Yamaha:
Pros- Lots of snow bike accessories available, 160W stator, popular choice as a snow bike, strong motor, Yamaha reliability, excellent suspension out of the box, least expensive price tag by ~$800 (MSRP)

Cons/others- 5 speed gear box, wide ratio trans (could be a good thing?), no stock lights, Yamaha shop is seconds from my house, not street legal off the showroom floor, probably the heaviest of the 3 (not by much I bet)?, electric start only (accessory add on back up kick starter available).

Anyone have any advice, good or bad? Have to choose a bike fit kit in 10 days....

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
My vote is the Yamaha F or FX

we run 4 of these Yamahas on snow -- 2 FX and 2 F bikes. The F's are lighter and a bit snappier and geared a bit better (closer/tighter?) for snow. IF you don't have to have e-start, get the F. If you must have e-start, get the FX.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The honda.
Easy choice.
Its the only close ratio estart light weight 450 out there.
With a backup kickstart.

Not being able to pull the next gear up really sucks.

I have searched quite a bit for anything bad about the rx with no luck

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks for the responses, guys. Rumor has it the '18 YZ450F's will have e-start, time will tell. I may be overthinking all of this, but just trying to get it right the first time, as the investment in a bike is large enough as it is.

From the responses, a the closer ratio transmissions seems to be a plus, which I can understand. However, if you've got the big bore type power band with lots of bottom end torque, could you effectively hold a gear longer (like on the Beta 480, similar to the Husky 501)?

I'm 240 without gear, and that's why I chose to go with the long track. I originally thought I'd keep my sled and ride both, sled for the deep powder days and the bike for the other days, but the more I think about it I'll probably sell the sled and just have the bike. My days on the snow are limited, so having 2 snow toys probably doesn't make sense (I got 4 days on the snow this winter.....ugh).

Thanks again.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Which bike

Try the beta. I would like to see the review. ? I am also interested in the beta and its' power and transmission. Currently riding an fx with few complaints although I preferred the 6 speed close ratio on my prior bike, a te510 husky.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like no KTM300 EFI in the US for 2018. 250 only ? I would wait for the 2018 Yamaha YZ450F. See what they release. I like the F and find no real issue with kick only. I came off a Smartcarb CR500 (first carb before Pulse) and i became a kicking expert. I had thousands and thousands of kicks with the POS carb so kicking the 450's a piece of cake ! The 2018 will also have the narrow Cycra style plastic I've heard which will be nicer than 2014-2017 clunky stuff. Hopefully the have the E start and back up without the weight of the FX ! I really like the F and the way its setup for snow riding !

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I really want the E start, since I'm fat and have a sedentary job, I don't see that changing by fall. :) So people's consensus is that close ratio is the way to go, regardless of having a big bore "grunt" to pull more through the gears? The Beta's are known for very linear but torquey power throughout the rev range. Thoughts?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I really want the E start, since I'm fat and have a sedentary job, I don't see that changing by fall. :) So people's consensus is that close ratio is the way to go, regardless of having a big bore "grunt" to pull more through the gears? The Beta's are known for very linear but torquey power throughout the rev range. Thoughts?

The thumper (beta) also has a lower rev limiter than the rx or fx.

Makes the gappy tranny that much worse.

D
Jan 22, 2017

The Beta 500 with an open airbox + mapping is unpowered......
350XCF is a lot more fun and powerfull to ride!!!

This year i ride a 2016 ST120/450XCW and for the next season is the new ARO120LE/YZ450FX

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO

Ah, excellent point! Didn't think of that.

The Beta 500 with an open airbox + mapping is unpowered......
350XCF is a lot more fun and powerfull to ride!!!

This year i ride a 2016 ST120/450XCW and for the next season is the new ARO120LE/YZ450FX

Should be an awesome combination. I think I'm leaning towards the YZFX.....I very much appreciate all of your inputs. Can't wait to try out a season on these things.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I rode a few times and am hooked. so Ive been reading and researching trying to decide on a bike too. My must haves are.....

fuel injection ( no brainer now)
E start and kick
close ratio transmission

adders:

recluse clutch
better seat

unless I'm mistaken that leaves Honda or maybe the new Yamaha.

Ive ridden a Suzuki 450RMX and YZ450f both with TS kits I much preferred the Yamaha for many reasons

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
You're in CO so get the most horsepower and close ratio. Period. I've lived in CO for years, now in WA and bikes are anemic enough here. Add another mile plus of elevation, idk how a guy would do it. Lighter snow there would make up for some cause mashed potatoes sucks the power out of a bike fast.
idk anything about the Beta, but if the Honda has the snort now and close ratio, e start with kicker and Honda reliability, then it stands out as a perfect out of the box bike to me.
And you get dual exhaust! (Idk how this could possibly help a 1 lung motor but it looks cool)

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
All replies are much appreciated!! Guess I'll shop around and see what the new Honda is going for, then see what the new yzfs will be.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I dont like the part you said about having to pick a fit kit within 10 days. I have asked my dealer this question, and his initial response was the deadline is "later". he is looking into a more exact answer on this. Many of us may switch bikes between now and next fall, so hopefully Polaris will have a fit kit order deadline in sept, or something

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yup, that's what I'm going to be asking my dealer this week. I figured sometime in September would be the deadline. April is way early. Toys change in my garage rather quickly sometimes. Lol

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Seems to me you're on the right track.

I'd want kick and e-start both, and have had the kick keep me riding on 2 deferent bikes. Once on a 4 stroke with acid battery that started at home, but not up on the cold hill. 2nd time was last week on a 2 stroke with LI battery, e-start just flat died on the hill, but would kick right over.

My want list, would be e-start with kick backup, bike that can run a PR 2 Racing ECU, and if swapping back to dirt, forks that could be run with just a spring rate swap. And would prefer a 6 speed, for dirt and fast snow trail. Oh and a radiator fan is damned nice for spring riding, or even riding hard when cold.

Wide ratio doesn't bother me as much as others around here, I've got a 2016 500XCW with the PR2 ECU and it rips all gears, and flys on the trail in 6th. Stock ECU it wouldn't even pull 6th gear on a flat trail. Folks may not admit it, but Colorado trees are so darned tight, you got be darned good at picking lines to even get out of 1st gear in the gnar.

So my 2 cents would be to talk to PR 2 Racing about the Beta, and any other bikes you're interested in, and go from there.

Also I'd add the KTM/Husky bikes to your list. Be it 450 or 500. PR 2 doesn't have an ECU yet for the 2017 500 yet, but does for most other models. Should to be able to add a kick start to the 2017 500. Pueblo KTM shows they have 2 deferent 2016 500's, know they'd be 2 years old by snow season, but they check all of my want boxes with Kick, e-start, ECU, and the open chamber forks would be easy to swap springs in. Could be worth a try to shoot them a low ball offer on a 2016?

Out of the bikes you listed, I'd lean towards the Beta. Would feel better if I knew the ECU could be hopped up.

Premium Features