• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 850 HP/TQ

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Look at it this way still stock form 28 more HP than Axys so can't be all that bad--they must be doing something right--going to be a good sled

So the axys only makes 142 hp? I thought it was 155. That's 15hp difference. But that's still impressive!

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Yup 15 hp more than the axys stock, not 28 hp. Pipe and pvc get 165 hp on the axys, I'm sure the aftermarket will get that 850 to 180 hp with a pipe , head, pvc. Time will tell.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Not sure where you see that.. 2010, 2o15 and 16 all have had 163 plus hp, the other years between there it was down two hp from that.. Jim brings this up in the 2016 article he wrote under the shoot out article

There has only been one run were the etec made 163hp.... most were in the 150s. I think its pretty safe to say this mill makes 10 more than the 800.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
They weren't able to utilize the refer unit so the air it was tested in was 45-50* humid. So I suspect the 850 etec will be a solid 173hp in real world cold air, in other words 10hp more than the 800 etec. Also about 10lb-ft of tq across the entire dyno curve. The Axys is around 155hp, so about 15-20hp more will be nice stock! Excited to compare the two next season.

BLSDEEP

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman
They weren't able to utilize the refer unit so the air it was tested in was 45-50* humid. So I suspect the 850 etec will be a solid 173hp in real world cold air, in other words 10hp more than the 800 etec. Also about 10lb-ft of tq across the entire dyno curve. The Axys is around 155hp, so about 15-20hp more will be nice stock! Excited to compare the two next season.

The Dyno numbers should all be SAE corrected numbers which takes all temp, B-Pressure, Humidity into the HO/TQ formula.

Also, seeing the graphs overlaid is the real story. Ill bet the 850 Is much flatter on top than the 800 and certainltly broader than the Axys graph which appears to be real peaky.

Also I would not consider a bigbore, unless someone comes out with the exact same piston tech as the stock 850. Why go away from what appears to be awesome technology? Now turbo on the other hand...she is begging for it!!!!!

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Wow Expensive HP

My old dog 06 Poo 900 (866 ) with a SLP kit on it has -- Gave 1500.00 for it (166 )

Maximize your sled’s performance with the addition of an SLP Performance Edition Kit. With an amazing 173 horsepower at 7900 RPM and compatibility with 91 octane pump fuel, this package will satisfy your performance appetite while being very dependable. In fact, its broad powerband gives it a temperament that is vastly improved over stock.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Dyno numbers at sea level are some what of a mute point IMHO ....At 9000 feet like all sleds the sea level HP rating get vastly reduced and proper clutching and setup becomes key... Peak HP also is meaningless in the high elevations except on those big long steep climbs .... Most mountain riders like torque and mid range grunt because we are constantly on an off the throttle boondocking or in the trees.

DPG

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Ok well say 15HP then but still sounds good--wait til the big bore and turbo gurus get ahold of it-should be interesting
the BB potential will be awesome,Till now there still was no motor to date that wood make more HP than the 07 880 build , and surely not even the e techs . but now I believe I will be behind the new Iron with a BB.Doo really stepped up the game this time, and the clutch, very nice!

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
The Dyno numbers should all be SAE corrected numbers which takes all temp, B-Pressure, Humidity into the HO/TQ formula.

Also, seeing the graphs overlaid is the real story. Ill bet the 850 Is much flatter on top than the 800 and certainltly broader than the Axys graph which appears to be real peaky.

Also I would not consider a bigbore, unless someone comes out with the exact same piston tech as the stock 850. Why go away from what appears to be awesome technology? Now turbo on the other hand...she is begging for it!!!!!

You mean a FORGED piston??:face-icon-small-hap

SHR has 2 ring FORGED BB pistons and hard anodized ring lands/domes...pretty close- BJ

G
Apr 23, 2008
keep in mind folks, the long stroke has some higher pistons speeds and the heavier rod and heavier piston means we have to pay close attention to NOT revving beyond 8400.
the reciprocating weight is much heavier than the sled design was. our NEW super crank comes with penalties.

Rpm limits will be lower than previous, more in line with the old RT and fusion..
Though the rod is replaceable, the rod PIN is not. damage from det and pre ignition will now require a full crankshaft replacement. I hope none of you thought the rod could just be changed out and go..lol oh no...

the marine crank repair services should be able to fix a good core but it wont be cheap like the old built up crank is to repair or replace.

no more backyard shops tapping on cranks with old wives tale fixes.. that in itself will help :face-icon-small-hap

lets hope it pans out for the best . no need for a high dollar trolling motor in a sled. save that for the bayliners ..

and ya, measured the demo and hope to be on jims dyno with a turbo asap. the flat landers would love to finally have a turbo thats worth the effort to own at sea level..

have a good summer

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
You mean a FORGED piston??:face-icon-small-hap

SHR has 2 ring FORGED BB pistons and hard anodized ring lands/domes...pretty close- BJ

Curious, but now that Nikasil is being replaced with the plasma coating, think that will be difficult to cut? Between the iron ring lands and plasma coating, I'd be hesitant to do change too much.

Premium Features