• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dynoport pipe durability

Timberdoodle218

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2010
Tofte MN
So I have burned/blown a hole in a second Dynoport pipe on my 800R. Any chance the ceramic coated option is more durable? I have their Y pipe and can so I would still like to run their pipe. I know it costs a bit more (haven't went to site to price yet) but am wondering if it would be less prone to cracking then blowing a hole. I should add the first time happened rather quickly and was replaced for free.

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
I have a dp coated pipe and y 6 years now and close to 16000 kms and still going. I did get a small crack in it last year in the pipe. Just welded it back up.
I would contact dp and tell them about it, maybe they do a up grade for you. Doesn't hurt to try.
I have seen alot of slp pipes crack over the years too.

A
Dec 19, 2011
Do you have a pic of the damage. Pipes are steel, the rest of the motor is aluminum and starts to melt at 1300deg f. What is happening that you are melting steel pipes?

The ceramic coated pipes should be pretty durable, Anything with ceramic coating tolerates crazy heat.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would say the painted pipe is more durable....at least that has been my observation. I always run a few bands around aftermarket pipes to keep them from resonating, it seems to help prevent cracking. Also silicone the springs to avoid one more source of vibration.
Did you call Rich and get his take on it?

T
Sep 1, 2009
Do you have a pic of the damage. Pipes are steel, the rest of the motor is aluminum and starts to melt at 1300deg f. What is happening that you are melting steel pipes?

The ceramic coated pipes should be pretty durable, Anything with ceramic coating tolerates crazy heat.

I think what he means is he's cracking or corroding the steel pipes resulting in a blow out. Youd never find a running 2 stroke that generated enough heat to melt the pipe.

Timberdoodle218

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2010
Tofte MN
Yes it's cracking and then pieces break off turning into a hole. You could stick three fingers in it. I will call Rich tomorrow. He was good about replacing the first one but that one popped right away. thanks for the input.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
I've had to weld mine up half a dozen times. cracks here and there. Its a coated pipe. Looks like crap but you cant see it in the sled anyway.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
If you've gone through two pipes in a short time period, I would think you have something else going on such as bad motor mounts, weak springs, rubber bumper that the pipe sits on, worn out donut on the y-pipe or can, rubbing on the steering stem, etc. Where are they cracking at?

Premium Features