• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GPS for snowmobiling

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
My buddies and I use the Rhino 120 or 130 series GPS. They have 2 way radios and gps built in...very happy with them.I dont mount it on the sled fear of losing it. Just carry it in my pocket and have never been lost or not gotten a signal.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
The Rino line is the way to go for sure as long as your buddies have them as well.

They have a feature where you can ping each other so you know where your buddies.. Hopefully no more lost riding partners.

That would be nice if you got lost riding with your buddy.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I have a oregon that works great, and if you decide to not go the rhino route I might sell this oregon. But only because the others in my group want to go rhino LOL.

I love the touch screen on this and the controls of the rhino seem to be a step backwards, but everyone thinks the radio will be worth it. Might be.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
We use the rhino's. they work great, and we have used the radio when one of the group goes a-wal in the trees and gets stuck. I have mine mounted on top of the steering post, come in handy when you cannot see the guy ahead of you. My sled has been involved in many roll overs and never had the gps fall off, but I have a safety strap attached just incase it would happen.
you can see it in this pic.
valentines2010016.jpg

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I still use the old school Rhino 120..... carry it in my chest pocket where it is easily accessible.... the radio has a glitch once in a while but other than that I have no complaints, other than maybe having to feed the thing a steady diet of batteries. Use Energizer lithium batteries and you will get many days from a set, but watch out as they go from showing a full charge down to dead real quick when they finally do die. Carrying spares is a must!

J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Almost everyone I ride with has a Rino. We typically run the 520 or 530 models. I really like the rechargable Li-Ion battery in the 500 series. I can use it for almost 4 days with no recharge!

One nice thing about the Rino is if you ever lose it (last year one buddy lost his 3 times!) they are easy to find, even if burried under the snow. With another rhino, you poll the other radio for its location and then you can to it within a couple meters. Then use the radio to locate it by sound (key up mic and talk). I found my buddy's Rino all 3 times that way! Just make sure to have the volume turned up on the radio!

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
We use the rhino's. they work great, and we have used the radio when one of the group goes a-wal in the trees and gets stuck. I have mine mounted on top of the steering post, come in handy when you cannot see the guy ahead of you. My sled has been involved in many roll overs and never had the gps fall off, but I have a safety strap attached just incase it would happen.
you can see it in this pic.
valentines2010016.jpg

Cool pic man!!!!! Is that behind your house. LOL:face-icon-small-hap

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I have a rino 530hcx and I love it but I can't use it to it's full extent because everybody I ride with refuses to put them on their sleds and usually keeps them in their backpacks. I have also used a vista c for many years with great results. I u-bolt mine to the handle bars with a ram mount.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
Get a RAM mount!!! They are tough as hell. I've rolled my sled many times and the GPS has never fallen out.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I have a rino 530hcx and I love it but I can't use it to it's full extent because everybody I ride with refuses to put them on their sleds and usually keeps them in their backpacks. I have also used a vista c for many years with great results. I u-bolt mine to the handle bars with a ram mount.

I was one of those keep-it-in-your-backpack guys until about 2 years ago.... if important things like a GPS (or water for that matter) are not easily accessible it is unfortunately just human nature to be lazy and not bother using it. Or at least to its full extent, as you said. :pizza::beer;

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Almost everyone I ride with has a Rino. We typically run the 520 or 530 models. I really like the rechargable Li-Ion battery in the 500 series. I can use it for almost 4 days with no recharge!

One nice thing about the Rino is if you ever lose it (last year one buddy lost his 3 times!) they are easy to find, even if burried under the snow. With another rhino, you poll the other radio for its location and then you can to it within a couple meters. Then use the radio to locate it by sound (key up mic and talk). I found my buddy's Rino all 3 times that way! Just make sure to have the volume turned up on the radio!

I've always hardwired my GPS 76CSx to my sled/ATV/bike in the past. The batteries tend to fade under normal riding because of the vibration. I think the physical connection the battery makes is unreliable in the presence of vibrations.

Anyone have a good way of hardwiring for power from the sled? Though about making a rechargeable battery pack to put in the windshield bag, too....

Did you every get a gps yet steelman? I was looking into them as well. Amazon has the 530 for 360 some bucks and free shipping. Just wondering if you got one and if ya like it. Also question to everybody, does it also act as a beacon if your covered in snow?? If others can see you on the trail can they see you if you have been covered.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
They will show where you are only if you all are programed and hit the call button. They will have no idea if you are burried. Your group better have beacons and know how to use them if that situation ever happens.

Premium Features