• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Redoubt blew

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Looks like you Valley boys get to deal with the ash this time instead of us! Now just hope that the ash seeds the clouds and you get a big dump of snow to cever it up like it did for us in 89.

A
Oct 22, 2008
I had ash on my truck this morning and the air has a "dirty" look to it. Talkeetna is home for me.

Talkeetna, Trapper Creek and Willow are all having ash fall

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Cancelled AKAir flights to and from Anc, honey was supposed to go in for our daughter's appointments for tubes in her ears.

L

LADYREV800

Dec 1, 2007
MT2AK
Damn, I hope they are allowing flights out on Weds. If not we might be going to Arctic Man afterall

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
From what I heard, any flights that were bound northward were cancelled or delayed. Hopefully this thing will die down and it will snow and cover it all up.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
No ash at Nancy Lake here to speak of, but I hate to see what the river looks like... Rode it yesterday, still miles of deep untouched snow in the Delta Islands. What a waste:(

K
Jan 23, 2009
The title of this thread should be "Redoubt Blow's" not blew, as it is ruining all the awesome snow that we waited all winter for in P'ville.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
It blew yesterday around 7:30 pm according to this mornings news. Looks like Petersville is done for the year, way too much ash on the ground to risk damaging the sleds. I hope it doesn't come our way or this years riding will be over.

M
Jan 1, 2008
The ash will DESTROY your snowmachines. You all better be safe and park the sleds for the rest of the year as the snow is ruined. Better riding next year.

I, however, plan on riding till the end of May like last year:D

Mark

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
Even if we get new snow your sleds can still be ruined. Think about it, your riding out at Petersville right after a fresh snowfall which covered up all that ash. Your out there carving up some deep pow while in the meantime that ash is getting on your hyfax, skids, wheels, inside your shocks, clogging up your cooler and air filter, getting inside your engine comp and side panels.

Is it really worth taking that big a risk just to get in a few more rides? I don't plan on quitting yet, I plan on riding where there isn't any ash, if there is such a place by the end of the week. As of right now, south is the place to go or maybe up in Hatchers Pass, if they didn't get any ash.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
When Redoubt blew in 89 it was one of the best snow years ever here on the Penninsula! Every time it blew, we would get foot of new within days of it blowing. We were all concerned as well about our sleds and their engines,ect.. Once the ash was burried, it was no big deal other than the fact that come break up time, it happened fast! Once that ash gets exposed to the spring time sun, it heats things up quickly and the snow melts fast. But once the ash is wetted down or burried, I wouldn't worry much about damaging your sleds. Go tear it up guys.

Premium Features