• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tahoe National Forest

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
just a heads up that the rec officer for the entire forest contacted me last week regarding filming permits. i told him that last season, each time i came up, i called the law enforcement officer, officer reese, to inform him we would be filming and that i would like to get a permit. i guess they didn't have their ducks in a row last year, an open position or something and no one ever called me back. this year, they called and said if i didn't get permits...they would 'deal with me another way'. regardless of this, i had a good conversation with the head rec guy and he's referred me to 2 different district guys to gain permits from. i'm going to call them today to start the process. i'm trying to work out a blanket 'seasonal' permit so i don't have to guess which days i will be filming. the current FS rules on commercial filming/photography are ridiculously outdated and need amending. i just wanted you guys to know what was going on in case any of you that are riding and have a video camera on you are approached by an officer. as i told the head guy last week, we are a snowmobile club first and make a movie second. if they see team summit stickers on a trailer or a sled, it DOES NOT mean we are necessarily filming. second to that, it is NOT illegal to bring a video camera (or use it) in the backcountry. this is where it gets sticky for the FS to enforce. technically, no rule is broken UNTIL footage is USED commercially. in other words, any of us can ride, film, take stills...whatever, but as soon as you/we/i gain commercially from it, from money or sponsored trade merchandise, we break the rules. the FS has stated to me that they do not agree with this interpretation of the rules and that, since we DO make movies, if we are seen in the backcountry with a camera, we can be cited for INTENT. intent is NOT referred to in the 14 page FS commercial filming document by the way. SO...my suggestion for any of you who are contacted by a FS officer about filming without a permit is this...

be polite. a bad attitude is the wrong way to begin a discussion with anyone.

While you might be a member of Team Summit and have a video camera with you, the footage you are going to/have recorded is not intended for use in any commercial film. Please refer the officer to me.

do not get defensive...even if threatened by the officer with a citation. The rules are very clear on this. If an officer is unfamiliar with the rules he/she has been charged to enforce...that is a FS problem, not yours. again, you need to simply state you are filming for your own purposes and not for any commercial film. at that point, the discussion is over. If they want to do anything after that...they will be in violation of your constitutional rights.

Remember, I am shooting most of the film myself. I will attempt to cover the other camera-people that are helping me into the blanket permit deal. Everyone else can do what they want but I did NOT want anyone to be blindsided, especially someone who may simply have a team summit sticker on their sled and a video camera in their pack but has nothing to do with our movie.

Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Jeff

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
It is very common up here. Tons of people film for skiing everywhere in the backcountry. The problem you had last year, is most of your guys have stickers bigger than thier trucks telling everybody how cool they are. Keep it on the down low and you wont have a problem. I guarentee they will be waiting at the trucks again if they see stickers.
You make a very good point about staying cool. Everyone is going to have to tune down your ego's when dealing with the Forest Service, even if you are a 100% in the right...they can make your day miserable. Remember, we need a good relationship with them in order to keep our areas open. Also, make sure your sled is registered before you ride. You are going to have a much better outcome if they dont find other things wrong.
It is not uncommon for all of us up here to have the attitude of....its easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. We already asked for forgiveness last year...they will not forget who you are. Team Summit, I'm sure, has been brought to every officers attention. Don't be afriad to kiss a little *** when approached. IMO!

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
....great, I just spent all this money on Team Summit stickers for my trailer. O'well, thanks again for the heads up and some real good points made by both Jeff and Jason(SnoJunkie) regarding interactions with the officers. We need to try to keep these guys on our side and not piss them off.

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
....great, I just spent all this money on Team Summit stickers for my trailer. O'well, thanks again for the heads up and some real good points made by both Jeff and Jason(SnoJunkie) regarding interactions with the officers. We need to try to keep these guys on our side and not piss them off.

I talked to my buddy who has been in a ton of films for skiing (many filmed up here). I told him what happened and his first question was...do they have stickers on thier vehicles? I understand you guys being proud of Team Summit...as you should be! There is no doubt that your vehicle is a great promotional tool....I just think you will find it a lot easier if you didn't give any reason for the officer to think you are filming.
Unless Jeff can get a "blanket" permit to cover everyone who is on the team.

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
you're right jason...the whole sticker thing is a touchy subject but still, if you're not filming for the movie...you're not filming for the movie. i really want to be above board with the FS on this. i tried last year and even offered to pay a permit fee after the season for the days we rode/filmed and no one from the FS would call me back.

remember...we are a charter club of the CNSA first. if approached at a trailhead because you have TS stickers on your truck or sled and i'm not there with you filming...you're not doing anything wrong. this is what needs to be calmly explained to any FS officer. that's all i'm saying. if we can negotiate a reasonable permit-use deal...then we DON'T have to sneak around like the ski movie guys do. that's been my whole point with the FS...make the rules easy and reasonable to follow and we'll lead by example.

we'll see how it goes. the main thing folks is do not let the FS bully you around because you have some stickers on your gear. be polite...be calm, make your point and have a great ride.

jeff

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
100% agreed Jeff. I have had to deal with them on the Disabled Sports end of things. They held up one of my trips a few years ago for about an hour thinking I needed a permit to continue with the ride. They were wrong, but made the trip start off on a negative note and took up a bunch of time. I was just thinking you guys wouldn't have to deal with any of this if you kept it on the down low.
I can appreciate you keeping it on the up and up.

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
an update...

i spoke with the rec officer for the yuba district...very cool guy and sounds like he's open to a blanket permit idea. we're going to work on it next week. i'm waiting to hear back from the truckee district next.

thanks.

jeff

S
May 16, 2008
Reno
Wow Jeff thanks for all the hard work I did not relize how much dam work it is to do a film so thank you thank you. I have to agree with Jeff I will NOT remove any ts stickers from my sled, truck, trailer or gear I am proud to be a part of the TS team and I am not affraid to show it off, I have worked and waited a long time to be a part of something like this, now is my chance to show it off. Like Jeff said I am not filming so I am not doing anything wrong, I have my green sticker so as far as they know I am just a fan of TS and I will conduct myself in a proper way, I have dealt with the FS a few times and have come out smelling like roses so I plan to keep it that way.....

W
Nov 26, 2007
Shaver Lake, CA
www.westcoastsleds.com
Fs !

Yea smash....No Seattle drive through tantrums.....Where the heck am I gonna put my green sticker???? My sled looks to pretty;)

Jeff....Do other guys who film on FS ground have this problem or is it a Cali thing???? Sounds like there picking on TS????:confused:

S
May 16, 2008
Reno
Yea smash....No Seattle drive through tantrums.....Where the heck am I gonna put my green sticker???? My sled looks to pretty;)

Jeff....Do other guys who film on FS ground have this problem or is it a Cali thing???? Sounds like there picking on TS????:confused:

LMFAO I forgot all about that dumb B!tch LOL no I will not freak out I think that was the boos talking plus I was hungry. LOLOLOL that is to funny wait till that chick see's me this year OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
it is NOT illegal to bring a video camera (or use it) in the backcountry. this is where it gets sticky for the FS to enforce. technically, no rule is broken UNTIL footage is USED commercially. in other words, any of us can ride, film, take stills...whatever, but as soon as you/we/i gain commercially from it, from money or sponsored trade merchandise, we break the rules. the FS has stated to me that they do not agree with this interpretation of the rules and that, since we DO make movies, if we are seen in the backcountry with a camera, we can be cited for INTENT. intent is NOT referred to in the 14 page FS commercial filming document by the way.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

" the FS has stated to me that they do not agree with this interpretation of the rules"..................Boy does that sound familiar, hell I think that was what the officer said verbatim as he wrote our group $2,500 in tickets for crossing over the Pacific Crest Trail at Sonora. He said technically he thought the trail was under the 8 feet of snow, but what the hell , here is your $425 ticket.

Your better off with a mob controlled forest, pay them off at the beginning of the year, and then they leave you alone. Just another example of government sticking their nose into citizens lives to charge you yet another fee or fine. Who's forest is it really?

Good luck, Jlowe...........next time our group sees a FS buzzing in the neighborhood......we don't stop riding

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
It finally clicked, I now understand why landmarks are rarely noted in most of the sled videos, and I thought it was to keep the areas a secret from us sledders. I hope this blows over, I can name 101 other things the FS officers can be enforcing to benefit the public use of public lands.:rolleyes:

Premium Features