• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

880 overheating..??

S
Mar 9, 2008
Montana
My 880 keeps overheating on long pulls. The coolant system is building pressure and does fine down the trail. Could this be a thermostat gone bad or maybe the water pump? Any help is appreciated. Btw..it didn't start this until after a couple hundred miles on the motor and it doesn't always do it. Thanks in advance.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
My 880 keeps overheating on long pulls. The coolant system is building pressure and does fine down the trail. Could this be a thermostat gone bad or maybe the water pump? Any help is appreciated. Btw..it didn't start this until after a couple hundred miles on the motor and it doesn't always do it. Thanks in advance.

I run without T stat, Add water wetter. A non ported track will not allow snow to hit the cooler very well. What track are you running?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Its not ported at all. But does this seem like a thermostat issue?

The 3 in track alone makes sled run 25% hotter even in the deep. The track spins MUCH less snow up with little ever getting to the front cooler. Without any porting my sled ran Much hotter than the 2.5 did with ports. Add one row down the middle Only behind the center paddle and you can physically watch the snow spray up into the cooler and drops temps considerably, The snow that flows through the track windows is towards the outer portion of track and does not hit the mass of the cooler.The porting behind the center paddle will not pull snow into the skid. I would also do T stat delete . Sled will make more power.

S
Mar 9, 2008
Montana
therm. delete

Is there a post on how to do this or can you tell me...seems easy enough but I've never done it. Also, do I drain the existing antifreeze or simply add water wetter to it? Thanks

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Is there a post on how to do this or can you tell me...seems easy enough but I've never done it. Also, do I drain the existing antifreeze or simply add water wetter to it? Thanks

Yes with pics. Sledrock recently posted pics and I see if he can put them up here, It a necessity on the 3 inch IMO.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes with pics. Sledrock recently posted pics and I see if he can put them up here, It a necessity on the 3 inch IMO.

Take a 1 in. hole saw and put it in a drill press. Turn her on and grind off all the teeth, then with dremmel grind a bevel on the inside about 45 * until you have a sharp cutting edge. This will cut and burn all the threads as you drill leaving a perfect hole without any loose belting,Sledrock pics will show where to put these to maintain all the tracks float, track will also be more flexible.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Take a 1 in. hole saw and put it in a drill press. Turn her on and grind off all the teeth, then with dremmel grind a bevel on the inside about 45 * until you have a sharp cutting edge. This will cut and burn all the threads as you drill leaving a perfect hole without any loose belting,Sledrock pics will show where to put these to maintain all the tracks float, track will also be more flexible.

Should look like this when finished.

misc 002.JPG

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
the XP have limited cooling even stock...

add 30 more hp = heat and you have to make a few changes...

1) drain ALL coolant and replace with engine ice for starters...

2) need a stock snow flap

3) plug n play keeps ECM happy...BJ

B
Feb 19, 2011
TRYGSTADS water manifold works real good

OR, you can DIY with two 90 degree elbows and 4 hose clamps to accomplish the same thing, for a fraction of the cost of trygstads manifold.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187041&highlight=stat+delete

remove the factory thermostat and housing, and simply connect the two large hoses together, and the two smaller together, with the 90 degree elbows and hose clamps. Sorry, I dont recall the sizes for the elbows. either measure the inlet/outlets on the tstat or just take take it with you to the hardware store and match up the sizes.

been running my 800/860 its entire life this way.

Last edited:

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Let me guess. $hit snow conditions? All of the 860+ cc sleds in our group will get hot first. Second is my Xp with the t-stat and front cooler removed. If you are in soft snow and it is still getting hot you need to do the t-stat delete at least. IMHO

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I put a stock snow flap back on my sled and also run the Trygstad water manifold. The port seems like an interesting idea though. What is this water ice stuff you speak of?

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
we can port are self's cut are own heads hell make are own big bore but for me I'd rather buy a kit .If your engine builder recommends delete than delete it,but the water manifold is not just a delete.Cheers

Premium Features