• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How long before we have an electric Rocky Mountain King?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
After watching Volkswagen crush the already insane Pikes Peak record for ANY car/class.... with an all electric monster... It makes me wonder...

No more clutches or alignment issues... maybe motor in drive shaft setup...

Torque on demand, and independent of altitude!

Batteries being the only holdback...probably in SnowCross or RMSHA first...but heck... who knows.

I'm on board WHEN it comes !!

Just watch this!!

<iframe width="935" height="526" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4uZLQvuwsgg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
i’m on board to. elec dirt bikes are already here. believe ktm has one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
I just want to be clear tho. I’m all for electric. It seems insane that there isn’t. But the first models will be trail or utility models. Then Yellowstone will close up to two smokers.

If it didn’t come with green peace and California compliance stickers I would be all over them. Wish there was more disconnect between performance and going green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
All political stuff aside, I don’t doubt that an electric sled could perform incredibly well. The battery and motor technology is getting insane amounts of R&D every day and is growing rapidly. On something like a snowmobile, there are obvious advantages like simplicity, drive motor placement and battery location(s)

But for a mountain sled, it’s hard to imagine having enough battery life to do what we expect to do on an average day in the mountains.... but that’s also where technology will continue to raise eyebrows. I’m definitely curious...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Regenerative technology.
That will help A LOT!

I'm sure you guys have seen the electric sled that hit social media this spring.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
How long before Polaris buys them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Taiga just needs the right chassis to put their technology in.

Their weight might even be lighter than a fully wet, ready to ride two stroke.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
NO POWER LOSS AT ELEVATION!!!!

I don't know what's political about that, it's just awesome.

www.altamotors.co is the dirtbikes. Those things school the KTMs

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Probably see it in a trail sled first. As there would be more opportunity for regenerative braking, due to the higher cruising speeds. Also it would be much easier to install charging stations at various points along the trail system in places such as in the mid-west.
Cool technology though! Less moving parts and a much quieter ride for long distance riders.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The AMOUNT of current needed to drive that car, UP pikes peak, that fast (7min 57sec) is staggering!!

But who knows... hydrogen cell batteries, or new developments in batt tech may make a mountain sled possible in the near future.

Last edited:
Premium Features