• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exciter or phazer??

T
Jan 13, 2012
I am either going to get an 89 exciter 570 with a 136 in track
Or a ported and polished phazer with a 2lb noss bottle and a 136 in track.
Which would be lighter or faster or better for boondocking

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I have owned several of Phazers and Exciters in my early years.

I am not sure how to answer this question. I will stand behind a phazer as one of the greatest lightweight boondooker sleds ever. But to be honest the noss has me alittle scared. I personally have not delt with noss on a phazer. The motors on those sleds were bulit proof. But if the porting is half azzed it could be a night mare. But I do like the idea of more hp for that light sled.

Exciters are liquid cooled which is a much better way to go but you gain weight. I upgraded to the Exciter from a Phazer. But I mine were never ported and polished.

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I too get nervous when I hear "port and polished" and NOS. The phazer has a bullet proof motor in stock form. When most people changed the porting it was only by adding the SX cut pistons. As far a boon docking. It was and still is one of the greatest sleds for that. On the flat it is amazing how much snow they can go through.

If it was me I think I would go for the Exciter though. 89 should have all the updates and be a very good running sled. Certainly not as light as the phazer, but still pretty light for a liquid cooled sled in those days. Narrow ski stance still makes it easy to tip for boon docking.

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
good choice, if you want some real power from your exciter, put carbs from a late 80's ext arctic cat 530 engine size, the exciter slides fit right in, also a aaen piope helps, and also the primary from the same cat, my exciter is a monster after those upgrades, good luck

Premium Features