• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viking Pro reverse issues

C
Nov 14, 2011
Seattle, WA
i have a 2006 yamaha viking professional and when i put it into reverse its fine until i give it gas.

it then makes a loud slipping metal on metal noise. seems to be coming from the right side of the engine compartment.

i asked someone about it and they said maybe the chain box.

What is really going on?
How do I fix it?
How much does that cost?

thanks
conrad

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
not good, sounds like its time to take it to the shop, unless you are familiar with taking apart these chaincases. there are a lot of parts in there.

B
Dec 5, 2010
There is an adjustment rod that may possibly need looked at. Over time they can get out of spec and have troubles shifting. Open the hood and loosen the jam nuts on the shift shaft and try going one way or the other a turn or so and see if it gets better or worse, should be all it is. Oh and remember to put some grease on the roller and guide.

C
Nov 14, 2011
Seattle, WA
you were talking about the adjustment rod and shifting issues.... a few times when trying to reverse it made the metal on metal noise then popped into drive some how..

does that give you anymore info to confirm that its the rod?

M
Oct 1, 2009
The reason its making that noise is because the reverse idler gear is not fully engaging with gear on the driver shaft.

To fix it, you need to take off the hood/cowling and actuate the reverse linkage to see which direction it moves. You will most likely need to lengthen the adjustment rod to gain more throw in the idler gear. You need to adjust the rod "more" in the direction that the rod moves.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
The reason its making that noise is because the reverse idler gear is not fully engaging with gear on the driver shaft.

To fix it, you need to take off the hood/cowling and actuate the reverse linkage to see which direction it moves. You will most likely need to lengthen the adjustment rod to gain more throw in the idler gear. You need to adjust the rod "more" in the direction that the rod moves.

this typically does not magically go out of adjustment to the point that reverse wont work at all. Very slight adjustments are sometimes required, but for it not to go into reverse at all makes me think something has gone wrong inside.

C
Nov 14, 2011
Seattle, WA
it does go into reverse. it will go back like 2 or 3 feet. it varies and then when i give it gas again it makes the noise. it does seem like its popping out of gear or something.

C
Nov 14, 2011
Seattle, WA
also i am pretty inexperienced. how does one go about lengthening the rod?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2008-Yamaha-Apex-LTX-Reverse-linkage-2006-2007-ball-/11/!B61DTvQ!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKogEy+jC)otJBMyen8TygQ~~-1_35.JPG

thats a link to what i think the rod you are talking abou it.
i have one vertical and one horizontal one both move when i shift from forward to reverse.

are these the rods you are talking about?
and how do i lengthen them

Premium Features