• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

i put her to bed....

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
...in the big garage, took off her side panels, checked everything over...topped off the gas and oil, checked both belts, no leaks, no bends in front end, opened up all zippered bags etc. to air them out, set a small electric space heater a few feet away to help dry her out....hung boots and gloves, parka and bibs and helmet in the coat room and walked into the house....my other she watched me through those big blues with maybe a little bit of jealousy, "how's the new girl she asked", "sweet ride" i replied...."i'll bet" she said sarcastically.....:face-icon-small-dis...a new sled does that sometimes................picked up the new Alpha 7 weeks ago....belt drive, can, y-pipe, boards, clutching changed for high altitude (8.5-11k), zip-tying wire bundles, sealing exhaust leaks, spending time to learn where everything was and where a connection or location might cause me grief later...getting bags and tool kits ready for contingencies....all the stuff a mountain rider needs to do................break in rides, more inspections.....learning new balance points, foot positions for terrain changes, noting what sled does well (get on top of snow quick, awesome traction, easy learning curve with this one (congratulations cat)............finally several days of snowing followed by a bluebird day, 3 ft of new on top of 2-3 old....sled rides nice on trail in, not much different than a 2 rail sled.......sled's amazingly easy going side to side, carves easy and predictable, no big balance points to overcome, no struggle to keep ski up and on edge.....thru trees, traction, clutching, engine response, steering and balance are all excellent.....hitting throttle, no big dig in, just forward thrust on top of even soft in the trees snow....loving the day, ride all day with little fatigue, rider (me) is staying fresh without the giveout i sometimes get at the start of the season........over to the big hill, i already have a feel of the clutching and traction, an engine that flat gets after it and stays pulling, 8200 rpm that spins the track and won't back out of it, confidence builder for sure....approaching the hill i notice only a couple have gone over it, and obviously with some effort judging by their lines....approaching i don't stop, just slow down to walking speed, i know the 15 or so sleds have noticed the alpha and are curious to say the least....base of the hill is about 9600 ft, the top about 10500......with just enough room to get the track speed up, i hit the hill, a lot of deep trenches at first that i cut thru with no problem, as i get above all the turnouts and the track is getting a fresh bite at things the alpha really is coming into it's own, where others have struggled i can change lines at will, never a feeling that i might have to turn out, just turning snow into propulsion, did i say confidence ?......the hill starts to shallow out, and i roll from side to side, ain't no thing i'm sayin'..............new girl ? yup, and a fine one she is...:face-icon-small-hap

N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
...in the big garage, took off her side panels, checked everything over...topped off the gas and oil, checked both belts, no leaks, no bends in front end, opened up all zippered bags etc. to air them out, set a small electric space heater a few feet away to help dry her out....hung boots and gloves, parka and bibs and helmet in the coat room and walked into the house....my other she watched me through those big blues with maybe a little bit of jealousy, "how's the new girl she asked", "sweet ride" i replied...."i'll bet" she said sarcastically.....:face-icon-small-dis...

a new sled does that sometimes................picked up the new Alpha 7 weeks ago....belt drive, can, y-pipe, boards, clutching changed for high altitude (8.5-11k), zip-tying wire bundles, sealing exhaust leaks, spending time to learn where everything was and where a connection or location might cause me grief later...getting bags and tool kits ready for contingencies....all the stuff a mountain rider needs to do................break in rides, more inspections.....learning new balance points, foot positions for terrain changes, noting what sled does well (get on top of snow quick, awesome traction, easy learning curve with this one (congratulations cat)............

finally several days of snowing followed by a bluebird day, 3 ft of new on top of 2-3 old....sled rides nice on trail in, not much different than a 2 rail sled.......sled's amazingly easy going side to side, carves easy and predictable, no big balance points to overcome, no struggle to keep ski up and on edge.....thru trees, traction, clutching, engine response, steering and balance are all excellent.....hitting throttle, no big dig in, just forward thrust on top of even soft in the trees snow....loving the day, ride all day with little fatigue, rider (me) is staying fresh without the giveout i sometimes get at the start of the season........over to the big hill, i already have a feel of the clutching and traction, an engine that flat gets after it and stays pulling, 8200 rpm that spins the track and won't back out of it, confidence builder for sure....

approaching the hill i notice only a couple have gone over it, and obviously with some effort judging by their lines....approaching i don't stop, just slow down to walking speed, i know the 15 or so sleds have noticed the alpha and are curious to say the least....base of the hill is about 9600 ft, the top about 10500......with just enough room to get the track speed up, i hit the hill, a lot of deep trenches at first that i cut thru with no problem, as i get above all the turnouts and the track is getting a fresh bite at things the alpha really is coming into it's own, where others have struggled i can change lines at will, never a feeling that i might have to turn out, just turning snow into propulsion, did i say confidence ?......the hill starts to shallow out, and i roll from side to side, ain't no thing i'm sayin'..............new girl ? yup, and a fine one she is...:face-icon-small-hap

This should help

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Nice job Ernest!

Did you sidehill the thing? I didn't get a chance to sidehill any really steep stuff when I rode it last spring. It was great on moderate stuff but still interested in an Axys comparison on some truly steep sidehills. Other reviews are saying no problem but wondered what you thought?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Nice! Did yours spit oil out of the y pipe connection to the main pipe section? Did you address that and if so how. Mines making a mess and I haven’t even ridden it yet.

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
Nice! Did yours spit oil out of the y pipe connection to the main pipe section? Did you address that and if so how. Mines making a mess and I haven’t even ridden it yet.

I had same issue. Took the pipe off, cleaned the donuts and contact surfaces and applied Permatex Copper Ultra RTV gasket maker. The excess burns off but it has always sealed my pipe connections. I do this anytime I take the pipe off because it is a mess when they leak. I apply it very heavy and wipe off the excess.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
...yes, got some 2000 degree sealant that is used for wood burning stoves to seal the doors, sealed y-pipe and pipe to can...doesn't spit anything out now..:face-icon-small-hap...local hardware store stocks it

Premium Features