• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where can I get a fuel pump and could a weak fuel pump be affecting performance alot

C
Mar 20, 2011
So where can I get one and how much are they. Also if my sleds still pulling full rpms like normal could a weak lift pump or one that was going over all last year still affect the performance a lot. Sorry about no use of questions marks the button isnt working I spilt juice on the keyboard.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I have one off of an '08-M1000 that has a pressure regulator and gauge on it I would let go. PM if interested.

Aaron

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch it, then you will know if its bad. It should be reading 43-48psi, Most gauges can be off a few lbs. Do that and get back with us.

First thing I would look at is the secondary

C
Mar 20, 2011
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch it, then you will know if its bad. It should be reading 43-48psi, Most gauges can be off a few lbs. Do that and get back with us.

First thing I would look at is the secondary

Thanks I was just wondering cause i had a problem with starting made a thread got a bunch of feed back and came to the conclusion with everyone its the fuel pump and others had the same problem. Was just curious if it would affect performance alot. Thanks though guys I'm gonna hook up a fp gauge to it and see what it reads and then also check the secondary. WYoBoy what should i mainly look for ?

A
Nov 26, 2010
http://apeusa.com/ here is a great pace, its an original walboro pump, built for cat, most use the gsc 404 go to site, on left side, cick on pumps only, then scrol halfway down page, look under specialty pumps. cat ones are listed first.

Last edited:
C
Mar 20, 2011
What exactly is the problem

Well I already made a thread and went over this twice with guys one suggested cracked reeds but most suggested or experienced same problems and said fuel pump. But anyways last 2 or 3 rides of last season I noticed it was getting harder to start before that like 3 pulls max when cold usually a pull or 2 and when i got up higher 2 pulls max. It got bad especially when parked down hill the odd time it would start 2 or 3 pull usually 5-8+ like i said worst when parked down hill and when it was down hill and started i had to hold the throttle a bit for a couple seconds letting it get fuel but once i started and drove it was all good and normal. Had one time last year came down was loading up and parked on a downhill and had to start it and it took at least like 12-15 pull seriously no joke pulled it out from cover this year started fine but moved it around a couple times usually 2 or 3 pulls but have had a time or two where it took about 6 pulls. Going up this weekend so gonna check fuel pressure tomorrow then go and see if it still does it this year. But makes sense to be that especially since its harder to start on a downhill. What do you think ?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Well I already made a thread and went over this twice with guys one suggested cracked reeds but most suggested or experienced same problems and said fuel pump. But anyways last 2 or 3 rides of last season I noticed it was getting harder to start before that like 3 pulls max when cold usually a pull or 2 and when i got up higher 2 pulls max. It got bad especially when parked down hill the odd time it would start 2 or 3 pull usually 5-8+ like i said worst when parked down hill and when it was down hill and started i had to hold the throttle a bit for a couple seconds letting it get fuel but once i started and drove it was all good and normal. Had one time last year came down was loading up and parked on a downhill and had to start it and it took at least like 12-15 pull seriously no joke pulled it out from cover this year started fine but moved it around a couple times usually 2 or 3 pulls but have had a time or two where it took about 6 pulls. Going up this weekend so gonna check fuel pressure tomorrow then go and see if it still does it this year. But makes sense to be that especially since its harder to start on a downhill. What do you think ?

How does the sled run in general? Fine? When you say pointed down hill, how steep we talking?

You should pull the whole assembly out of the fuel tank and check for cracked lines or broken pickups. You may be loosing prime on your pump by sucking in air...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If the pump was weak it would run bad after starting also. I would look at the smart valves if its a down hill issue, if the one in the back of the tank is not shutting all the way when not under fuel it could be sucking air.

If you install a gauge you will be able to tell if its fuel pressure or something else.

Because you where riding it late last year it could be a heat issue, if the temp sensor gets to much heat it will lean out the sled and keep it from running until it cools down. Always let the sled idle down before shutting it off.

C
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks guys i do let it idle down before shut off for a good minute usually. Anyways it still did it on flat but was worse on a downhill. Like any sled the odd time on a steep down hill it is harder to start once in a while but this isn't anywhere close to normal for this sled. I will check over all lines and what not. Where is the fuel pump exactly i look it the tank see the sender and all and a fuel rail going to the injectors and the return line in the tank but where is the fuel pump ? Also im going up on sunday gonna see how it is as i drained all my old fuel except the tiniest but also if it runs good ill leave it see if it does it again but out of curiousity im gonna switch my mbrp can for my stocker see if that does anything or if it helps in power never ran the stocker and think the mbrp was on most of its life and the sled has 3700 miles so its worth a shot in the dark. My main question right now is where is the fuel pump and is there a spot to plug a gauge in ? Also like i said once its running its fine and normal. Anyone got other ideas. Thanks guys !!!

Edit: Also could like low fuel make it harder to start or just bad fuel all together ? Also if someone can tell me where the fuel pump is that would be great !! Thanks again.

Premium Features