• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking for 12 volt dc adaptor

M

mngoat

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Polaris doesn't make Part #2872214 which is a 12 volt power adaptor for sleds w/o battary. Would like to hard wire gps unit that runs on 3 volt dc. So i need a reticfier of some kind. Garmin makes the regulator to 3 volts either as a cigarette adaptor plug in or they do make an straight hard wire harness for dc. Any suggestions on getting from ac to dc. Thanks.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
If you've got a soldering iron and some electronics know-how it shouldn't be too hard to cobble something together to power a GPS. I can't imagine they draw much moar than 100mA, and DigiKey/Allied have a wide selection of voltage regulators that will easily handle that current.

Bridge rectifier/capacitor to take AC off the stator to DC, run that highly unregulated output through a 3v regulator, than plumb that into the GPS. I bet it wouldn't cost $20 and take more than an hour once you have the parts.... I bet even radio shark would carry most of what you'd need.

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
I think you may be looking for this:
Schematic

I just bought this: Battery I connected a female cigarette plug to it with some spade terminals and use my car adapter for my Magellan Meridian. I put the battery in my windshield bag. I recharge it with a battery tender.

B
Dec 3, 2007
Rogers, MN
I think you may be looking for this:
Schematic

I just bought this: Battery I connected a female cigarette plug to it with some spade terminals and use my car adapter for my Magellan Meridian. I put the battery in my windshield bag. I recharge it with a battery tender.

OK, I could build that easy enough. So, does anyone know where there is a good spot to hook up on a Polaris Edge sled to get the +/- unregulated AC voltage? I think I used to know this when I hooked up a heated shield power supply to a sled some time back, but I can't recall now...

Thanks,
Rob

Premium Features