• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2018 Mountain Cat

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Well I just bought a new carryover 2018 Mountain Cat!! Should pick it up
on Monday. I haven’t owned Cat since late 70’s, and those were my Dads...
Pantera and couple of Jags! Anything I should know or be watching out for?

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Congratulations! Great sled, I love mine. A common issue people mention on here are the gaps in the air intake system allowing snow ingestion. There are two problem locations; one is at the intake screens. Mountainfit makes a kit to help with that or you can use weatherstripping and silicon (still need silicon with mountainfit’s kit, gaps just aren’t near as big after install). The other is in the nose cone on the front of the hood, again, a little silicon and you’re good to go.

http://stores.mountainfithoods.net/2018-ascender-chassis-intake-reinforcement-kit/

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Which do you think is better, mtn fit or w/s and silicone? And are you talking the
Foam type weatherstripping?

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Yes, the type you can pickup at any auto parts store or Home Depot. Really either method works OK, I’ve done both now and at the end of the day both did the job. If the gaps on yours are wider than what weather stripping will plug then get the mountain fit kit and it will pull them closed.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Congratulations and welcome back! I think you'll enjoy the experience of being back on a Cat! We look forward to hearing your thoughts as you ride your new sled. Very cool!

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Power valve cables were out of spec,the update is fuel line rubbing on bulk head, zip tie injector wires up, and rubber dipped clamp the harness to voltage regulator.

Stupid intake screen leak

Mds clutch kit was nice.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
What’s everyone’s thoughts on a well built can for the ctec? I don’t want annoying loud, a slight increase in dB I like. Thinking HPS or SLP or SSI.

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
I like my cutler can. Deep tone. Watch the bottom mount though, they tend to rub on the oil line gaurd/ lines. I ground the corner down so it fits nicely, contoured to the sheilding

There's one on ebay, think it was $180

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
did the slp and it has a low tone and perfect at WOT and I like my cans quite!
also look at the pull rope just under the hood on the pto side. the bracket holding the pto coil pack some times is just a bit too close to the pull rope and rubs on it. just take and bend it out of the way.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
did the slp and it has a low tone and perfect at WOT and I like my cans quite!
also look at the pull rope just under the hood on the pto side. the bracket holding the pto coil pack some times is just a bit too close to the pull rope and rubs on it. just take and bend it out of the way.

Which SLP can are you running? They show two on their site.

Premium Features