• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ammo reloading vs availability?

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Hey I need opinions about something. I need to buy a new press for loading rifle ammo and could get by with just a single stage kit. I have brass, powder, bullets and RCBS dies for my 7mmSTW. But I probably would not reload ammo for my AR-15 with this press. For the longest I thought that .223 (5.56) ammo was not worth reloading. That is until I placed my last order for 1000rds of Ultramax 55g FMJ for $230 and was told the wait is currently 9months. I also recently looked for 9mm Ammo for my Beretta Storm Carbine and cannot find that in stores without the price being obscene from what I'm accustom to paying. I'm also considering buying a .45 ACP soon and saw how much ammo has gone up for that. But my main concern now was if I buy a new press will it be worthwhile or will this thing soon change?
What I'm halfway stuck on is. OK I go out and buy the Dillon 650 Press that I've been researching cost etc. Estimate by todays bulk prices, I can push out 1000rds of a decent bullet for the AR at about $230 (retailers are selling cheap FMJ in Brass for $425+). Which right now is cost effective. But if this war ends within a year in accordance of the wisdom of the allmighty Obama. That could easily leave a huge surplus of .223 ammo and brass. I'm thinking prices might not be affected very much for the simple fact there is a Dem in office and all the scare of gun control. And they ammo supply may not come down because it cost so much for raw materials to make the stuff at the time of demand that they simply won't give the stuff away. So this is how I can Justify buying a multistage press and reloading all my rifle and handgun calibers vs. buying them from the store or my contacts. I sure as **** aint going to sit in front of a single stage and load 1000rds of .223 ammo.
My question is am I right to think the ammo will always be high regardless thus justifiying the purchase of a higher end press and reloading that ammo? What are some of your thoughts to what the frack is going on in the ammo world?

J
May 3, 2008
The war has been here for some time and ammo and reloading componet's have not been a problem,but when obama got elected everything is hard to get and prices went nut's,try to find small rifle primers right now in quanity is a joke!

B

bigbone

Nov 26, 2007
Iowa
Buy the press. If ammo gets cheaper you can park the press for awhile. You can slowly build up surplus powder,primers,bullets. Reload in your spare time.

S
Dec 3, 2007
Redding makes great presses that you will have a lifetime if you're looking for a progressive the Hornaday is a great bang for the buck it's like getting a 650 for the price of a 550B.

Premium Features