• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Iceage ELEVATE kit - interesting!!!

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I also noticed the 18’ mountain cat dove. That was the biggest reason I didn’t go with cat this year. It’s frustrating when you have to slow down to almost a complete stop to pull it out of a dive.

The alpha does it as well but it’s very easy to correct. Just lean and it comes out of it. Overall the alpha reminds me of a Doo as far as ease of riding. It’s just much more predictable and easier to keep in a sidehill.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I also noticed the 18’ mountain cat dove. That was the biggest reason I didn’t go with cat this year. It’s frustrating when you have to slow down to almost a complete stop to pull it out of a dive.

The alpha does it as well but it’s very easy to correct. Just lean and it comes out of it. Overall the alpha reminds me of a Doo as far as ease of riding. It’s just much more predictable and easier to keep in a sidehill.

ya, I think the doo does dive too, but like you mention just lean to correct. I still need to try an alpha. Agree with racinstation too, twin rails are starting to seem old school in my mind now, like twin rear shocks on a dirt bike from the 70s...
I have my limiter all way out and FTS pumped up to 75/150, ice age kit looks very appealing...

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Bouncing back and forth between my proclimb with dropped case and my axys, I'm pretty tuned in to differences right now. IMO, lifting the front end like ice age is doing is awesome. If I had one sled I would like it to be that. There's just so much good about the cats but they do drag the front end. No way around it.

Like most though, I just can't swallow 1800 bucks for spindles and rails. But I'm absolutely convinced that's the setup to have with cats. That's why I really want to hear some feedback from people in case I'm wrong

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
why can't we just buy the spindles and re-locate the stock skid is what id like to know. I am not a bomber.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I believe the Elevate rails are taller and u drop the front mount to the lowest location (Tapered tunnel).
U could probably manufacture a wedge spacer to drop the suspension below the flat mounting locations?
Then u run into the angle on the front of the rails, may be a track stabbing issue?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
theres a hole already in the mounting plate right below stock, just have to drill the tunnel. I believe thats all they do, with lower hole in rear used also. I musta missed the part about rail profile.. Im thinking its the same bomber rail they sell to replace any stock rails 17-19.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Guys, we are super excited to roll this product out and get it in consumer hands. I will try and go through and touch base on most of the questions/concerns.

Overall Performance Goal

The second we rode the new 18 cats last year we knew cat finally had something. The Ctec motor coupled with the clutching and track system puts impressive power to the snow. The sleds get on the snow and move like nothing else. The fist thing we noticed when it was sitting in the shop next to the axys and g4 is how low and squatty it looked. The sled handles well in stock form but it still left us wanting more.

Hundreds of miles and piles of parts in the scrap bin later we have the Elevate Kit. Bringing the front end up 2" tapering back to 3/4" of lift in the rear has allowed the sled to show what its really capable of. The extra height helps the sled roll around more in deeper snow making for a more fun and less 'planted' feel. Having more height has also increase the angle you can sidehill before "paneling out". This was especially noticeable in our late season testing in hard spring conditions. You can now lay the sled into the hill and it just hangs there instead of trying to push you off. (see axys vs pro, xm vs t3 comments above) With the increased height getting the nosecone and panels so much higher out of the snow we now are plowing less snow allowing the sled to float on top with reduced effort. Our spindle is fully engineered (not just spacers bolted on) to ensure more strength from all angles even with the 2" taller base section. The spindles also include steering stops, this helps eliminate the possibility of bending tie rods all the time. You do not lose any steering angle because of this.

Approach angle/skid

We spent a TON of time tweaking and modifying on the approach angle and how we handled the drop in the rear. Obviously cat has the best approach on the market and the sled gets on the snow with ease. We DID NOT want to ruin this. The rails have a fully customized bend for this application to keep the approach as mellow as possible. We also remounted the front track shock and limiter strap allowing us to get more travel in the front portion of the skid. This helps the sled handle bumps on the trail much nicer. And obviously one of the biggest skid gains is the proven strength of our IceAge rails.

Balance

I see a lot of guys trying to jerry rig things or wanting to only do spindles and drop the skid. If it was this easy we would have done it this way and made a cheaper kit. Maintaining the proper balance of the sled and skid setup is paramount. You can VERY easily make the sled handle far worse then stock. After hundreds of miles and a pile of parts in the scrap bin, we can assure you, this is a fully developed system not just some bolt on widgets.

Specs
Spindle angle - Stock
Spindle height increase - 2.1"
Spindle weight - 3# 7oz (3oz heavier then stock)
Steering geometry - unmodified (same tie rod clearance to a-arms)
Height all added below ball joint - Stock shocks/geometry to fit any a-arms.
6061 T6 billet construction. This is a massive billet part.

skid is dropped .75" in rear and 1.2" in front.
Rails design is unique to the elevate kit
Custom bend profile
increased front track shock travel/stroke ( ~.625")
Wider ribs by ~50%
7000 series aluminum, much stronger then OEM.

From earlier in the thread with regard to approach angle and what is being done in the rear skid.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
If ur lazy, Alpha's are worse down hill.
Fall right over.... look like an idiot real quick.

Agreed. You cant ride the alpha as lazy as the mountain cat. Have to have your game on. The axys with narrow front isnt the same but similar in having to not ride lazy

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
After riding less than 1 foot pow setup snow last weekend, and a lot of super hard pack crap at low elevation getting in, I see where I like having a sled with a 2 rail setup still. The Alpha is a better deep pow sled for sure and has the best track out there.
But owning 2 sleds and riding different areas and types of snow during the season will always force me to have one of each rail setup for now. I think I might need to try out this elevate kit.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
CO 2.0 what don't you like about the alpha in the low/harder snow conditions?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Less bite of the track into hard snow. Diving and less predictable in hard off camber situations when you are not fully commited. Sometimes I like to ride lazy, which the 2 rail setup helps in hard snow. If you can get the track buried into the snow a foot+ you will like riding the alpha a lot better though. It's then a lot less taxing on your shoulders and body. I wish we always had good snow, but the last 5 years you get gaps of good and crap snow through the season. The fact that we now have warm temps in January sucks. Used to be it always stayed cold and even weeks between storms you would always have great pow.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
As much as I love the Alpha, I do think the elevate kit with an alpha track would be a killer setup as well. There is nothing wrong with the Alpha. It’s a beast, the funnest sled I’ve ever road, easy to ride, but in certain situations you have to be on your game. It’s super forgiving at times but can also get pretty wild. I am having to tweak my riding style/position and it’s going to take more time to adjust. But in my limited 200 miles this is what I’ve noticed.

- I’m still over riding in certain sidehill maneuvers, one of the biggest areas I need to adjust in riding style/position. Need more time to and it will feel more natural.

- As said above you cannot get lazy when things get more technical.

- It climbs like crazy but is a wheelie monster. At times that is super fun other times it’s to much. Again needs a change in riding position and getting comfortable with. The lockout flat works. Would be awesome to have the electronic version so you could push a button on the fly. I’m certain that is the future and likely will be on the top 2020 model.

- I have no issues with the trail ride, smooth or whooped out crap. I’ve been on both and no issues. I will add that I’m not a trail boomer rallying corners and all that stuff.

- On sidehills it does like to make its own track. It holds a great fresh track line and has a wide sweet spot. Still struggling a bit following my buddies line through the tight trees on a steep sidehill. Just need more time.

- Takes more throttle control when crossing tracks on sidehills. It will whip out on you wicked fast.

- The motor and clutching are awesome. The zuke was a great motor but the new motor kills it in every way. Yes durability still to be determined.

- The track, one word WOW....ok maybe two, AMAZING!!

- Cat was exactly on point marketing this as a purpose built sled. There is absolutely no doubt about that.

After all that do I have any regrets snowchecking an Alpha....hell no!! The best sled I’ve rode to date. However just like all of them they have their pluses and minuses. For me the Alphas pluses out way the minuses hands down. I can’t wait to spend more time on it. I just wish our snow was better in MT!!!

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
I’ve ordered the Elevate kit. Hopefully here this week and I have time to install on my 16 turbo cat with drop and roll conversion completed.
I have a trip planned for next week. 3 days of riding. I will post up my experience.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
ive asked the Caleb K. about it and it sounds like a win-win, his riding speaks for itself of course. be nice to get the review from someone who probably wasn't handed a kit tho.. (just guessing he's sponsored, I'm probably wrong again tho...)
allseasons: could you post a pic of the ice age and stock rail side by side, or just explain where the differences are? im not picturing anything getting interrupted by dropping the stock skid to the lower hole in front. many do the back already.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Sorry guys. US Postal service sucks. I paid for express shipping, and after 8 business days the kit hasn’t made it to the border yet. So I will not have a ride report next week.

nw-sickboy

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
Meridian ID
As much as I love the Alpha, I do think the elevate kit with an alpha track would be a killer setup as well. There is nothing wrong with the Alpha. It’s a beast, the funnest sled I’ve ever road, easy to ride, but in certain situations you have to be on your game. It’s super forgiving at times but can also get pretty wild. I am having to tweak my riding style/position and it’s going to take more time to adjust. But in my limited 200 miles this is what I’ve noticed.

- I’m still over riding in certain sidehill maneuvers, one of the biggest areas I need to adjust in riding style/position. Need more time to and it will feel more natural.

- As said above you cannot get lazy when things get more technical.

- It climbs like crazy but is a wheelie monster. At times that is super fun other times it’s to much. Again needs a change in riding position and getting comfortable with. The lockout flat works. Would be awesome to have the electronic version so you could push a button on the fly. I’m certain that is the future and likely will be on the top 2020 model.

- I have no issues with the trail ride, smooth or whooped out crap. I’ve been on both and no issues. I will add that I’m not a trail boomer rallying corners and all that stuff.

- On sidehills it does like to make its own track. It holds a great fresh track line and has a wide sweet spot. Still struggling a bit following my buddies line through the tight trees on a steep sidehill. Just need more time.

- Takes more throttle control when crossing tracks on sidehills. It will whip out on you wicked fast.

- The motor and clutching are awesome. The zuke was a great motor but the new motor kills it in every way. Yes durability still to be determined.

- The track, one word WOW....ok maybe two, AMAZING!!

- Cat was exactly on point marketing this as a purpose built sled. There is absolutely no doubt about that.

After all that do I have any regrets snowchecking an Alpha....hell no!! The best sled I’ve rode to date. However just like all of them they have their pluses and minuses. For me the Alphas pluses out way the minuses hands down. I can’t wait to spend more time on it. I just wish our snow was better in MT!!!

If you are lifting the skis to much or wheeling out on hill climbs add air to the rear track shock and run it on 2 or 3. If that rts is in 1 and the fts is in L (or has to much air) you should wheelie. Getting the wheelie to go away is easy. You have to manage your suspension on the cats. I adjust the settings on the qs3 through Out the day and it’s vwr simple.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Interesting that its been 2 months since the kits were supposed to start shipping and not a single ride report.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Interesting that its been 2 months since the kits were supposed to start shipping and not a single ride report.

So there’s a guy that lives about 45mins away from me, he installed the kit on his 18. Said it was the best mod he had done, ever, from all of the sleds he has owned. I dont really want to elaborate his words, but it is the major reason I pulled the trigger. The other reason, to get my chaincase off the ground/more clearance. After doing the drop and roll, my guards rub when lodingnonto my sled deck. That’s just goofy

Premium Features