• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Supplemental Tunnel Cooler added?

E
Nov 26, 2007
IDAHO
Any feedback on the extra tunnel coolers like the one MTNTEK has that mounts to the top of the tunnel for giving you better cooling in less than ideal snow?
:face-icon-small-con

maddogsback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2010
STEWARTVILLE, MN
I INSTALLED THE 5 FOOT ONE ON MY 2012 PRO RMK 800 163 AND MADE SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE IN KEEPING THE SLED COOL. WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE ADD ON COOLER FROM MTNTK. I PULLED A DEAD SLED 15 MILES BACK LAST REAR ON HARD PACK SNOW AND NEVER GOT ABOVE 135* AND WE DEF WOULD HAVE GOT HOT WITH OUT IT.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The 5’ cooler is stellar. I have installed it on 2 of my personal sleds. A turbo and a long rod.
Polaris cut corners in the wrong area to save weight.
Compare, Dragon/ PRO-AXYS

M
Dec 26, 2008
tunnel cooler

I put the 3 foot one my 2013 Pro 163. Made a 20 to 30 degree difference. Used to constantly watch the temp but now don't worry about it.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
So if you have a tunnel bag does it still work well?

A tunnel bag has no effect on the cooler capability.

I noticed in your first post you mention the MtnTk coolers being "mounted to the top of the tunnel"....his tunnel coolers are mounted between the OEM tunnel coolers on the underside of the tunnel, directly above the track.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Here is an alternative that mounts to the top of the tunnel, half the weight and half the cost. Proven cooling performance last year running 25 - 30 degrees cooler than sleds without. Tested on 2014 - 2017 Pro RMK machines.
iceboxxpro.com
Very little info on that web site, and sitting on top of the tunnel, how does that help the cooling, unless you tap into the coolers somehow? Or is it just a big heatsink of sorts? Also looks like you lose any space for a tunnel bag or spare fuel rack...
Picked up a MTNTEK 3 footer last spring, never got around to installing it... I'm sure it will work great once I do LOL

MTDAD

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
MONTANA
We have installed well over a dozen of the coolers. In my opinion it is one of the best additions you can add to your sled. It will help with the piston issues we all know about and a cool engine always performs better. We are MTNTK dealers and have a lot customers asking for them this year after riding with friends who had them. SUPRACING.NET

sledmeister

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2008
Yakima, WA
I installed one on my 2017 Axys RMK 800 and it made a huge difference. I went with the 3ft to save on weight. Installing one on my daughter's 2016 600 Axys RMK 600 as well. Buy one, you won't regret it.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Was looking at these but installed cable scratchers and sled stays below 130
They help but they aren't magic... depending on where you ride to get to the good stuff, and what time of year you ride. I thought standard scratchers work just as good if not better at kicking up ice or snow to cool, but maybe placement of the cable types helps. I understand the Axys sleds run cooler than Pro-ride too. Even a solid flap helps.

N

NickeH

Mar 7, 2014
Add stock cooler?

Hi, seems MTNTK cooler is out of stock and also expensive to get to sweden.

Can you buy a cooler from a STD RMK and put on the PRO?

What are they called, front and rear cooler on the STD? Only front on PRO?

/Nick

Polaris Pro RMK 163" 2014

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Hi, seems MTNTK cooler is out of stock and also expensive to get to sweden.

Can you buy a cooler from a STD RMK and put on the PRO?

What are they called, front and rear cooler on the STD? Only front on PRO?

/Nick

Polaris Pro RMK 163" 2014
Standard RMK additional cooler is in the bulkhead, and IIRC you would have to pretty much tear everything down to the bulkhead to install it. If you really need a cooler, I would wait for MTNTK to get more back in stock or you can go with Van Amberg but I believe their solution requires some cutting and welding... and I think shipping costs are going to hit you pretty hard either way. Good luck!

Premium Features