• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hood Repair?

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Today, I conducted a demonstration of why we wear helmets when hillclimbing, immediately followed by a mountainside yardsale. My luck did not hold-- in the last roll at the bottom of the hill (its always the first or last roll), the hood came open. The hood broke just above the hinges. I haven't had to deal with this since the days of fiberglass.

Any suggestions on repairing? Any particular adhesives, or plastic welding?

Any suggestions on splints, fishplates, trusses, gussets, girdles, whiskey, what have you?

Thanks!
03RMK800

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
Was it just the hinges that broke off? If so I never use my hinges just buy a aftermarket hood tie down strap. A quick repair for hoods, but ugly, is drill holes and use zip ties or I like to use a peace of plastic behind and riviot it back together on bolth sides, a little ugly but strong. Make sure you drill a small hole in the end of the crack so it doesnt continue to spread. I don't think that most repairs would be strong enough to support the hinges. Iv'e seen some pretty cheap hoods being sold this year in the clasifieds if its really messed up.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Boxter,
Thanks - the break is between and above the hinges, so the hood can flop when opened. I riveted the hinges back in place. I will probably fishplate the hood as you have suggested.
I am putting straps on no matter how the repair goes.
03rmk800

Premium Features