• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pull cord problem

Sep 12, 2012
So I have a 03 pro-x 800. Just got done replacing the snapped recoil rope. I went to start it, and the first couple pulls were fine, but when it started it wouldn't go back in the housing. I think it's something with the spring not a 100% sure. Also is there anyway else to get into the housing besides party pulling the motor? On the pro-x models there is a support brace. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Recoil

Not sure if there is another way to get the recoil out.
There is a notch in the rope spool that will allow you to wind the spring tighter. Just pull the rope out a little then reach inside the recoil and grab the rope. A pair of needle nose pliers works well for this. Then put the rope in the notch and wind the spring tighter. The notch allows the rope to slip by the lip on the housing.

MTNTK

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2009
Ashton, ID
mtntkperformance.com
The spring is damaged and is not staying hooked to either the back of the recoil pulley or the recoil housing. Usually on hard to remove recoil starters, I will remove a couple of motor mount bolts and either lift the engine or pry it to allow clearance. Then you do not have to remove the engine, but I am not up exactly of that model and you may have a specific issue in removing.

S
Feb 25, 2008
Craig CO
On the pro-x because of the bulk head you'll have to remove the motor. You won't have to disconnect the water lines, just pop the carbs out of the boots and lay them to the side, remove the pipe pull the motor mount bolts and pick the motor up enough to get to the recoil off. You might have to pull a few more things like the fuel pump inpulse line. Find a manual or a how to video on what to look for on your recoil and how to rewind it. A friend had a pro-x that was realy bad about eating ropes start to finish I could have the rope replased and running in half an hour.

Premium Features