• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommendation on Youth Sled for 12 Year Old Boy

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
NA

You've stumbled upon one of the toughest spots in all of snowmobiling.

Polaris would like you to believe that they just put out a great snowmobile for 12 year olds called the indy evo. Maybe.

Fortunately, the question is a lot easier to answer when you say that he will be mostly on the trail with just a little bit of off the trail. Here is my opinion in a very concise fashion. I'll expound more and give you the two page version if you ask for it.

If you have 9 grand and want a new machine, get him the 600 rmk 144.

If you have one or two grand and are ok with a 20-30 year old machine because you can work on it yourself, then get him a phazer (preferably mtn lite 1996-1998).

In the middle of those two you could consider a freestyle 550 but they are rare.

There are other options as well, those are just my favorites right now. Like I said, if you want a much more detailed answer, just ask. Or maybe others will chime in as well.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
These guys have you all the answers you need really. The 4 models they mentioned is as solid as you can get however I’ll throw in the M5 from 2005+ is also a great little unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
These guys have you all the answers you need really. The 4 models they mentioned is as solid as you can get however I’ll throw in the M5 from 2005+ is also a great little unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to mention the M5 or 6 as another middle of the road option.

The brand new M6 would also be comparable to the 600 RMK.

A Firecat EXT would be decent too, but very rare.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Clarification

I guess I should clarify one more thing. When I say 600 RMK 144 I am saying 2012+. 2011- will be a lot heavier. 2017+ will have the added bonus of even being in the axys chassis instead of pro chassis, but it didn't lose any weight, maybe even gained a pound or two.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Hard to answer for sure, but in general lower powered fan cooled sleds which would be most of your go to machines for a kid are less maintenance and repair intensive than their liquid cooled big brothers that have been passed through 2 or 3 wanna be sled necks by the time they only cost a couple grand.
I've been through as many sleds as I have fingers, and some toes, lol.
My kids have been on a 96 380 skidoo that I long tracked and a 99 rmk 550 long tracked to 144 as well. Other than little stuff like different skis and better tracks, both bone stock 100%. They've had them for 4 years now, have put idk maybe 800-1000 miles with zero mechanical repairs, haven't even replaced a belt after the first ride on them. Well had plug wires come loose on the doo and thought the stator was bad but it was a $0 repair. Bought the Doo in AK, driven by a little old lady, yeah right, 96 studs in the track and the running boards looked like an elephant rode it. Hadn't been greased in 10 years, most of the rear cross shafts were rusted in. That required a little work when I was turning it into a powder sled, but the 550 had been cared for by a guy who took pride in his sleds and that one has also only been routine maint and a new set of hand warmers.
Honestly a good way to get into the sport with simple, older easy to work on sleds.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
old sleds are also more durable for someone new to bounce off a couple trees. But if you're going to spend big bucks, IMO the best kids sled would be the newer Indy 550s in the pro chassis.

C
Nov 29, 2008
If the 12 year old is new to sledding and so are you then the 550 fan is likely loads of power - a 600 rmk will get them in trouble real fast - too much too soon.
The older sleds are getting a bit harder to find in good shape otherwise you get a deal then practically have to rebuild it ...

If you can find a couple of holdover Polaris 550's in the new style rmk chassis (not the old sit down edge style) it would be a good choice - capable enough and better riding position for starting out.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
This is what my 10 year old daughter is learning on.
A modified 97 Ovation 340 with 136"...

That's awesome!! I just picked one of them up for my 8 year old girl. She almost seems too big for it already, it had dirty carbs last ride so she rode her sister's Edge 550 Trail, she seemed ok on that so the Ovation may be for sale. The Ovy has e-start but a terrible track, it would need an upgrade if we were going to keep it.

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
12 year old boy...I vote 12 or newer Polaris 600 144.

I bought 2 of them. One for 11 year old boy and 1 for 13 year old girl. My daughter will likely ride hers forever...really no need for her to move up due to her size and riding style.

Both have electric start. I put the WRP lower seat on them, WRP footboard snow eliminators and narrow ski spindles that allow me to narrow skis to 37". I also added exhaust cans not just because they sound great, but I can hear where they are at when I loose sight of them.

IMG_4061.jpg IMG_5368.jpg IMG_5401.jpg IMG_4254.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My son bought a 95 Jag, 440 with his own money a few years ago. He was about 10 or 11.
That was good for a couple years. It was a heavy tank, but he couldn't tip it over. Lol

Two years ago, my dad stopped sledding and sold his sled to my son. It's a 2001 RMK 800, 144.
It's a little lighter and way more power than the Jag. But still not quite the sled I would pick for him.
Right now, he's 14. 5'4" and 105lbs.

If I had an unlimited budget and could handpick the exact sled for him it would be a AXYS 600 RMK in a 155. Gear down kit and some clutching... It'll rock for a long time.

IMG_20180113_124449932_HDR.jpg IMG_20180101_140012759_HDR.jpg IMG_20180101_135827017_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
H1Pilot,
I like your setup that, is sweet. I agree that the 12-16 versions are well served by better boards like you say. However, the 17+ versions have the better boards right from the factory.

I like your lower seat idea too, that's great. Can you point me to a link for these "narrow ski spindles"? That seems like something cool, maybe even for me!!

Looks like your kids are doing great on that setup. I would love to see some video of them tearing it up.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
12 year old boy...I vote 12 or newer Polaris 600 144.

I bought 2 of them. One for 11 year old boy and 1 for 13 year old girl. My daughter will likely ride hers forever...really no need for her to move up due to her size and riding style.

Both have electric start. I put the WRP lower seat on them, WRP footboard snow eliminators and narrow ski spindles that allow me to narrow skis to 37". I also added exhaust cans not just because they sound great, but I can hear where they are at when I loose sight of them.

I like where your going.
Narrow spindles. Low seat. Noisy exhaust.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
H1Pilot,
I like your setup that, is sweet. I agree that the 12-16 versions are well served by better boards like you say. However, the 17+ versions have the better boards right from the factory.

I like your lower seat idea too, that's great. Can you point me to a link for these "narrow ski spindles"? That seems like something cool, maybe even for me!!

Looks like your kids are doing great on that setup. I would love to see some video of them tearing it up.

Zollinger Racing Products.
Make sure you find the right model, but here is the link to the AXYS spindles.
I have them on my 2013 Pro.
Love em.

https://www.zollingerracingproducts.com/shop-our-store/polaris-1-inch-offset-spindle

They're great for the kids. But if an adult goes out and hops on it the first time, you'll probably override it and lay it over in the snow. Haha

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Narrow Spindle...the link posted previously is correct. I did have to wait for 6 weeks or so because I ordered 5 sets: some orange and some black.

I put them on all 4 of my sleds and one on a friends. I set my wifes up at 39" (2014 600 rmk 155) at her request, my daughter at 38" (2012 600 rmk 144), and my son and I are set at 37".

My son is nearly 13 and 130lbs. He has gotten really good and getting his sled on edge and loves the tippyness of his sled. It still rails the corners on the trail...much better than my 800 155.

The low-rise seat allows them to transition side to side very easily with their shorter legs. They stand-up ride 90% of the time...even on the trail. The low seat modification has been as beneficial for them as I had hoped.

I bought both 600 144's 2 years ago...the 2012 for 5200 and the 2014 for 6200. less than 500 miles on them. They were tough to find nearby, so I had to drive 5 hours to get them.

The picture shows the orange narrow spindle on one side compared to the stock spindle on the other.

IMG_4023.jpg

Premium Features