• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SideWinder reviews?

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Rode new sidewinder heavy typical Yamaha not for me. Sled tends to dive in deep snow reminds me of nytro.

Wow, that's the first I've seen of that. Every other review I've seen says that they don't really notice the extra weight.

Anyone else think they feel heavy when they ride them?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Anyone else think they feel heavy when they ride them?[/QUOTE]

I haven't...the first I've heard. I think people go into them with a prejudment that they won't like them. Either, they can't admit that they are great mountain sleds or they don't know how to ride...also most powerful. I mean it, they don't know how to ride. Think about it, if you are a good riding you should be able to ride anything...I understand people will say I don't want to ride a heavy sled in the mountain because they will be worn-out by days end....and other don't include them in mountain sled talk...also, not to be able to see any good from a 4 strokes sled. So, I find my self riding the trees, in the step and deep, with no problems, and no getting tired or worn out...while others watch...and then I'm told, "WELL YOU HAVE A TURBO". Please. That's why don't value their opinion.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK

I haven't...the first I've heard. I think people go into them with a prejudment that they won't like them. Either, they can't admit that they are great mountain sleds or they don't know how to ride...also most powerful. I mean it, they don't know how to ride. Think about it, if you are a good riding you should be able to ride anything...I understand people will say I don't want to ride a heavy sled in the mountain because they will be worn-out by days end....and other don't include them in mountain sled talk...also, not to be able to see any good from a 4 strokes sled. So, I find my self riding the trees, in the step and deep, with no problems, and no getting tired or worn out...while others watch...and then I'm told, "WELL YOU HAVE A TURBO". Please. That's why don't value their opinion.[/QUOTE]

Yea, just trying to figure out whether this guy is FOS or if it's a real issue. Like I said, every review I've seen seems to be the opposite. Wondering if this guy even rode one since everyone else seems to have a different impression.

And I know what you mean about people complaining about how heavy the four strokes are. I'm still riding an 03 RX1 without boost and constantly have people telling me how heavy and incapable it is. And when I'm making pulls they can't and riding in the trees, they still tell me how heavy it is...when they have never ridden one. I really don't understand why they care so much about what I ride, but I really do like my RX. Over 8000 miles and never been towed and tons of torque is attractive to me.

I'm in no position to buy a Sidewinder right now, but I'm very curious about how they stand up to the competition. Maybe I will be someday.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
https://youtu.be/Qjdb9HfUbUk

My buddy just bought one. I love this sled. We both have 174 3" MTNTK turbos. I think maybe some guys that won't like it are over riding it. This sled doesn't have to be ridden wide open like a 2 stroke. Half throttle is perfect for milling around then crack it open when you need it. He dropped 30 lbs of his sled with down pipe and battery. He's within 70 lbs of my 174 pro, and don't notice the weight at all. Did I say this sled is awesome yet?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I'm sure he didn't ride one or maybe he got on one....went down the road a mile...came back and said I don't like it...it's to heavy. You can't tell what a sled can do if you don't spend time on it. Please. Think about it. I've seen doo's ride poo's, also cats...visa versa...ride it for a few miles...then turn around and say this is a piece of @#$%. The best is when their sleds get broke in and they think it has any noticeable horsepower increase. Please. What a joke.

RX1 have strong motors. I wish they would use the apex motors in the new chassis or the yxz as an option. I would buy one. But think about it...you're out riding people on on newer sleds...what does that tell you about your riding ability? If you want to be a great riding learn to ride a 4 stroke.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I agree with both opinions on this page, how is that? Well, the sidewinder has that same weak front skid shock spring the Viper has, and with all the weight on the skis and rear of the track its going to dive and feel heavy.

NOW the early order LE has floats all the way around so it does not suffer this issue.*If you rode a demo or a spring order you probably rode the good one and if not you probably rode the weak spring one and did find it heavy in the front. $75.00 spring from Zbroz fixes it though just like it does in the Viper.

I am 165 pounds weight and with the spring mod I can grab the bumper and lift the skis off the ground. Always seems to amaze guys in the parking lot when they are checking out my Viper and I ask them to lift it themselves. Don't try that with the stock front skid shock spring though!

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
I'm sure he didn't ride one or maybe he got on one....went down the road a mile...came back and said I don't like it...it's to heavy. You can't tell what a sled can do if you don't spend time on it. Please. Think about it. I've seen doo's ride poo's, also cats...visa versa...ride it for a few miles...then turn around and say this is a piece of @#$%. The best is when their sleds get broke in and they think it has any noticeable horsepower increase. Please. What a joke.

RX1 have strong motors. I wish they would use the apex motors in the new chassis or the yxz as an option. I would buy one. But think about it...you're out riding people on on newer sleds...what does that tell you about your riding ability? If you want to be a great riding learn to ride a 4 stroke.

Sharp, you bring valid points to the table! Just this past weekend I found myself unanimously voted to pull a broken Poo out of the mountains in Togwotee country! No other riders volunteered! Funny how the Tapex (oldest sled in a group of 14 riders-5400 miles) was unanimously voted in!?

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I'm with you guys for the fact that the viper is easy to ride.. but you can't doubt the fact the 2 strokes are easier. I have both right now, and I have a hard time taking the Yamaha key over the Polaris. Even my Expedition Extreme sees more action.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I'm with you guys for the fact that the viper is easy to ride.. but you can't doubt the fact the 2 strokes are easier. I have both right now, and I have a hard time taking the Yamaha key over the Polaris. Even my Expedition Extreme sees more action.

For me it's the horsepower. I have two Pro's that don't get ridden much...let me see 270hp or 150hp with 120hp when I get to the 8000 feet...ah it's not hard for me to decided.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND

I haven't...the first I've heard. I think people go into them with a prejudment that they won't like them. Either, they can't admit that they are great mountain sleds or they don't know how to ride...also most powerful. I mean it, they don't know how to ride. Think about it, if you are a good riding you should be able to ride anything...I understand people will say I don't want to ride a heavy sled in the mountain because they will be worn-out by days end....and other don't include them in mountain sled talk...also, not to be able to see any good from a 4 strokes sled. So, I find my self riding the trees, in the step and deep, with no problems, and no getting tired or worn out...while others watch...and then I'm told, "WELL YOU HAVE A TURBO". Please. That's why don't value their opinion.[/QUOTE]

I ride a turbo pro and have been riding mts since 91 have owned over 20 new sleds and a lot of Yamaha. Imo you areally fooling yourself if you can't feel the weight. I rode one for over 5 hours on and off in the backcountry. I can ride any sled out there but chose to ride one that fits me best. Have visited with other owners of this sled any they all said in deep powder the sled tends to dive when letting off throttle.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I agree with both opinions on this page, how is that? Well, the sidewinder has that same weak front skid shock spring the Viper has, and with all the weight on the skis and rear of the track its going to dive and feel heavy.

NOW the early order LE has floats all the way around so it does not suffer this issue.*If you rode a demo or a spring order you probably rode the good one and if not you probably rode the weak spring one and did find it heavy in the front. $75.00 spring from Zbroz fixes it though just like it does in the Viper.

I am 165 pounds weight and with the spring mod I can grab the bumper and lift the skis off the ground. Always seems to amaze guys in the parking lot when they are checking out my Viper and I ask them to lift it themselves. Don't try that with the stock front skid shock spring though!

Why didn't they put heavy spring in all of them Then? One other thing I think is lame is where the key is at why not a pushbutton start on handle bars was cleaning snow out every time to start also seems to have an issue with powder snow making steam coming out of vent by handlebars and fogging goggles. Far from a refined 14000 dollar sled.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Here they come...I guess I'm a fool and sophisticated sleds because of key location or steam coming out of an engine compartment covered with snow. Please...two more jokes.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Yeah if horsepower was an issue for me I'd just turbo my Polaris. I'm at 1500-2000ft for the most part. So power isn't an issue. I have a 190 kit on my Viper and my stock axys can do anything the Viper does.. usually better actually. Its almost crazy, its like it just wants to pop out of the snow where as the viper would rather plow it. I can make due with the Viper and still have fun. but not having the front end dive in, or oil puke out of the exhaust every time the sled is on its side or rolled over is a nice benefit as well..

I guess if you are happy with what you have then that is great! but the masses would rather a lighter sled. and the sales reflect that. its an undeniable fact. it has nothing to do with how good of a rider you are, its 100% about the fun factor. Lighter sleds = more fun. they may also = more down time, but that's the risk most people are willing to take.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I haven't...the first I've heard. I think people go into them with a prejudment that they won't like them. Either, they can't admit that they are great mountain sleds or they don't know how to ride...also most powerful. I mean it, they don't know how to ride. Think about it, if you are a good riding you should be able to ride anything...I understand people will say I don't want to ride a heavy sled in the mountain because they will be worn-out by days end....and other don't include them in mountain sled talk...also, not to be able to see any good from a 4 strokes sled. So, I find my self riding the trees, in the step and deep, with no problems, and no getting tired or worn out...while others watch...and then I'm told, "WELL YOU HAVE A TURBO". Please. That's why don't value their opinion.

I ride a turbo pro and have been riding mts since 91 have owned over 20 new sleds and a lot of Yamaha. Imo you areally fooling yourself if you can't feel the weight. I rode one for over 5 hours on and off in the backcountry. I can ride any sled out there but chose to ride one that fits me best. Have visited with other owners of this sled any they all said in deep powder the sled tends to dive when letting off throttle.

YOU ARE CORRECT, at least in stock form. The XTX and MTX were sent with a 110 pound front skid shock and mounted to make it even weaker than the same spring on an M8. Should have had a 160 or 180 in it.

This sled MUST have a spring change and the Zbroz spring is slightly longer and does the trick for 75 bucks. No more diving and feels like power steering. WHY OH WHY would Yamaha/Cat put such a turd spring in then never change it??

Try a Viper/Sidewinder with air all the way around or the Zbroz fix and then say it feels heavy :)

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Yeah if horsepower was an issue for me I'd just turbo my Polaris. I'm at 1500-2000ft for the most part. So power isn't an issue. I have a 190 kit on my Viper and my stock axys can do anything the Viper does.. usually better actually. Its almost crazy, its like it just wants to pop out of the snow where as the viper would rather plow it. I can make due with the Viper and still have fun. but not having the front end dive in, or oil puke out of the exhaust every time the sled is on its side or rolled over is a nice benefit as well..

I guess if you are happy with what you have then that is great! but the masses would rather a lighter sled. and the sales reflect that. its an undeniable fact. it has nothing to do with how good of a rider you are, its 100% about the fun factor. Lighter sleds = more fun. they may also = more down time, but that's the risk most people are willing to take.

You were repeatedly told how to fix it but instead you continue to bash it. After the spring fix I can pick both front skis off the ground by hand and I am a small guy. All the weight on skis and back of skid makes it plow bad. $75.00 and 20 minutes fixes it. Fix it or not, but continuing to say ***** after you have been told how to fix it just makes you look bad.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Why didn't they put heavy spring in all of them Then? One other thing I think is lame is where the key is at why not a pushbutton start on handle bars was cleaning snow out every time to start also seems to have an issue with powder snow making steam coming out of vent by handlebars and fogging goggles. Far from a refined 14000 dollar sled.

Actually that "vent" should be taken out and a goggle bag put there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-SR-Viper-Goggle-Holder-Bag-SMA-8JP53-00-00-/252325620289?hash=item3abfc76a41:g:pKgAAOSwBLlVaNKp&vxp=mtr

A
Jan 28, 2010

More fun my ***, the only time I ride one of the axys is when there is no powder fun factor is no comparison in 3ft of fluff between a 270 hp sled and one making half of that. Ps turbo your axys and have fun for the three hundred miles you get before she grenades

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
You were repeatedly told how to fix it but instead you continue to bash it. After the spring fix I can pick both front skis off the ground by hand and I am a small guy. All the weight on skis and back of skid makes it plow bad. $75.00 and 20 minutes fixes it. Fix it or not, but continuing to say ***** after you have been told how to fix it just makes you look bad.

I don't know how many times I need to tell you I did your little 160lb spring trick. I also did the 38inch arm and 16 spindle kit from zbroz that you rave about. both made the sled slightly better.. If I had my time back I would have tried the barcode performance kit. I think that would have been a game changer for me.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
More fun my ***, the only time I ride one of the axys is when there is no powder fun factor is no comparison in 3ft of fluff between a 270 hp sled and one making half of that. Ps turbo your axys and have fun for the three hundred miles you get before she grenades

I'm not saying you are wrong, but most people would argue with you.

Like I said, if you enjoy heavy sleds then that's great. I cannot argue opinions. However I can argue sales, and the sales of mountain snowmobiles make it very clear that most people buy light 2 strokes. That's a fact.

I won't be turboing my axys anytime soon. I'm basically at sea-level.. However I do know they should last more than 300 miles lol. At least at low boost levels. and trust me, you don't need 270hp in an axys to have a good time.

anyways.. just beating a dead horse here.. My opinion is this for anyone looking at buying a sidewinder mtx... Take one for a day and put it through its paces. If you can't ride one before you buy then don't buy one. Simple as that. They are way too much money, and way to hard to re-sell to not know that it is exactly the sled you want.

My next sled will be a sidewinder.. 137. and it will be a strictly trail machine... just as soon as my Viper MTX sells.. :juggle:

T
Mar 30, 2010
All these ride reviews and i yet to see a picture of a sidewinder being weighed yet?

the two big problems vipers have faced since day one and nobody is asking

Will the sidewinder shut off like the viper did when you have it climbing steep situations?

Does it leak oil when sitting upside down? (without a $400 rollover valve)

Premium Features