• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

550 fan heat problems??

S
Jan 15, 2016
Utah
I have 2 550 trail fans, one gets hotter than the other, "My wife's". It runs good but just gets to hot for my liking. After reading all the problems with the heat and burn downs on these 550 fans. I'm scared!
I ordered the oil return kits to get the air bubbles out, and now I want to wrap the exhaust with heat tape, Will this help me keep it cooler ?? Please advise. Thnxs

hunterdon

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Deer Lodge, Montana
shedhorn; 1 installed oil kits and hood vent kits on 3 of these sleds last year. You really should do the vent kit. It makes a huge difference and helps this great little engine survive.

hunterdon

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Deer Lodge, Montana
That is it. It is hard to start cutting on a perfectly good hood and the templates force you to ruin a decal, but it is a matter of saving that motor. I used a utility knife - heat the blade with a torch and it slices right thru the hood. Take your time - it is worth the effort!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Idk man, if ones running hotter than the other and it's the one that's likely not running as hard then vents aren't your problem.
My boy runs a 550, older one gen II, but it never gets hot, even in warm wet heavy cascade concrete.
About the same venting a s a pro hood as well. Jmo but venting may work but it's masking whatever the real issue is.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Pull the head cover/pan off the top of the engine. It may have leaves, mouse nest, or something blocking the cooling fins. Oil laden fins also cause heat issues.
I had taken one apart and it had a starter rope lodged in the fins.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
could it be her driving style or does it do it when you swap sleds for a long time too? could be clutch heat. both belts/clutches in good shape?
good on you for putting the oil vent kits on before they locked up. might wanna look up the exhaust ports sometime and check that damage hasnt already started.

Last edited:

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
On our 2014 Indy 550 one of the foam rubber pads came unstuck from the inside of the cooling shroud and plugged the air flow. I'm sure it would have wrecked the engine if I wouldn't have caught it quick.

S
Jan 15, 2016
Utah
Checked under the shroud cover, clean, no leaves, oil etc. ran cooler today because I road it a little harder. I'm going to get the oil lines on and look into cooling down the pipe, it's so dang hot it started to melt the black down spout above the aluminum heat plate from factory. Engine didn't feel that bad but pipe was ridiculous. Please keep advise coming in. I will get this under control, I hope!

S
Jan 15, 2016
Utah
Checked under the shroud cover, clean, no leaves, oil etc. ran cooler today because I road it a little harder. I'm going to get the oil lines on and look into cooling down the pipe, it's so dang hot it started to melt the black down spout above the aluminum heat plate from factory. Engine didn't feel that bad but pipe was ridiculous. Please keep advise coming in. I will get this under control, I hope!

Rider1958

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
Woodland Park, Colorado
I thought the fix (one of them) was to install different (thinner) needles and richen the pilot and main jets slightly to make the engine run less lean and therefore cooler...

Premium Features