• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard starting '07 Phazer

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
My 2007 phazer mtx doesn't start all that great when it's hot. You seem to have to crank on it more than you should to get it going. Any ideas?

Thanks
mark

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
I read that this happens when the valves are out of adjustment. When the engine heats up, the stems on the valves expands and gets longer. Therefore, the valves are't seating and sealing completely when the engine is hot and not making the compression necessary to start it (or easily start it).

Makes sense to me.

A guy on Totallyamaha said that he was having that problem with an Apex or RX1. He said that he wasn't getting the power that he was getting when it was new, wasn't hitting the RPMs and it was hard to start when hot. He checked the valves and the exhaust valves were out of spec. He adjusted them and said that it felt like he had gained 20 HP, he was hitting his RPMs and it started when hot.

It would be worth looking into.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I had three 2007 Phazers, two of them boosted. All 3 started like crap until the update was done. Ran much better after updated ECU too. Now this Yamaha Bulletin and recall was for cold starting but the new ECU helped mine start better both hot and cold. New ECU was just for the 2007 model Phazers

New updated ECU is 8gp-10 if yours says 8gp-00 you have the old one that had starting problems.

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
phazer

I will take a look at the ECU. Thanks for the great information.

Mark

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
The number on the ECU is 8GP-10, it looks like I have an updated one. Could it be valves?

mark

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
My idle rpm when warmed up is around 2800, I turned it down to 1850. We'll see if that helps.

Premium Features