• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power valves won't close

Sep 12, 2012
So I have a 2003 edge x 700, I just replaced the bellows in them. The first time I drove it the valves stuck open, I could feel the exhaust coming out of the valves at idle. I don't know what would cause this so thanks for any help!:yo:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
If you have exhaust coming out of the hole in the bellows cap it is ripped or you forgot to put that one in.How do you know its stuck open?

Sep 12, 2012
Well I went back and looked at it, and it was not stuck open, that was my first thought. Nothing is ripped or anything so I don't know how the exhaust is open.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Do you have the nut on top of the valve stem and is the stepped washer under that on the other side of the bellows?

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Are you messing with me? i guess i do not understand what your talking about give a better description of what your talking about.

Sep 12, 2012
Are you messing with me? i guess i do not understand what your talking about give a better description of what your talking about.

Its hard to explain, I have it set up the exact same as when I took then apart except with new bellows. At idle it's like the valves are open (which they aren't) because the is exhaust coming out of the little ports on the tip of the valves. That should only be happing at a certain rmp when they are open.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Its hard to explain, I have it set up the exact same as when I took then apart except with new bellows. At idle it's like the valves are open (which they aren't) because the is exhaust coming out of the little ports on the tip of the valves. That should only be happing at a certain rmp when they are open.

They have to be assembled wrong if air/exhaust is coming out of the "little hole" on the top of the valve assembly (that is what Hardass is asking). Or your rubber bellows are torn and allowing air/exhaust escape. When the valves open they just allow a larger open path out to the Y pipe and exhaust system.

Sep 12, 2012
They have to be assembled wrong if air/exhaust is coming out of the "little hole" on the top of the valve assembly (that is what Hardass is asking). Or your rubber bellows are torn and allowing air/exhaust escape. When the valves open they just allow a larger open path out to the Y pipe and exhaust system.

I can for sure tell you the bellows aren't torn, they are brand new. Last night I completely took apart the valves and cleaned them. I am all most possitve they are assembled correctly, I am almost positive it has something to do with the new bellows. The bellows are not the same as the stock orange ones, they are black and more of a dome. By chance could the require a different or new spring?

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
OK. Pull your exhaust valve assembly and while holding the assembled assembly in your hand, push the blade up and then put your finger over the little hole on top, when you let go of the blade it should stay up in the assembly. When you remove your finger from the little hole, the blade should release and go back out. Is yours working like this? That is how you can test your bellows and springs.

How to clean exhaust valves with assembly pics
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194020

Sep 12, 2012
OK. Pull your exhaust valve assembly and while holding the assembled assembly in your hand, push the blade up and then put your finger over the little hole on top, when you let go of the blade it should stay up in the assembly. When you remove your finger from the little hole, the blade should release and go back out. Is yours working like this? That is how you can test your bellows and springs.

How to clean exhaust valves with assembly pics
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194020

Ok, I did the test and they both passed. Only 1 leaks now after I went through them and cleaned them last night. But what I am really worried about is I put each I the valves in the opposite cylinder, and the good one leaked, and the valve that I thought was bad didn't. So I am worried its something having to do with the internals if that sounds possible.

Sep 12, 2012
Ok, I did the test and they both passed. Only 1 leaks now after I went through them and cleaned them last night. But what I am really worried about is I put each I the valves in the opposite cylinder, and the good one leaked, and the valve that I thought was bad didn't. So I am worried its something having to do with the internals if that sounds possible.

Might I add it is the left cylinder that is leaking now, it doesn't matter what valve I put in it.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
These valve systems are not complex, don't get overwhelmed. Valves clean? New bellows? New gaskets between valve housing and cylinder? Hole in cylinder that allows cylinder pressure to open valve clear? Holes in valve housing clear? If yes to all those, go ride your sled. If it runs correctly, you're imagining things are wrong.

Are the plastic caps that hold the bellows tight against the aluminum housing warped? I think the newer plastic caps have brass inserts whereas the older ones are just all plastic.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2012
These valve systems are not complex, don't get overwhelmed. Valves clean? New bellows? New gaskets between valve housing and cylinder? Hole in cylinder that allows cylinder pressure to open valve clear? Holes in valve housing clear? If yes to all those, go ride your sled. If it runs correctly, you're imagining things are wrong.

Are the plastic caps that hold the bellows tight against the aluminum housing warped? I think the newer plastic caps have brass inserts whereas the older ones are just all plastic.

The valves are clean, new bellows, going to get new gaskets, and the hole in cylinder is clear. The sled isn't running good at all, the low end is horrible, but the high end is good. I will be getting new plastic caps to.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Bad low end, good top end. Hm. The usual effect of inoperable valves is no difference on low end, but poor top end because they won't open. Either your valves are actually stuck open at all times, or you have another issue.

Judging by your Snowest join date, Sept 2012, and your username, this sled is new to you? Has it ever run correctly for you?

Sep 12, 2012
Bad low end, good top end. Hm. The usual effect of inoperable valves is no difference on low end, but poor top end because they won't open. Either your valves are actually stuck open at all times, or you have another issue.

Judging by your Snowest join date, Sept 2012, and your username, this sled is new to you? Has it ever run correctly for you?

I have had the sled for a year, and I have put about 400 miles on it, it has run great for me, but once I put the new bellows in t the left cylinder side has been causing me problems. At idle you can put your hand over the little hole on the valve and feel exhaust coming out. The other valve is fine.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I would try getting a set of the new orange bellows and put them in, they are the newest revision i think.

Its possible you have the bellows designed for a different sled?

Premium Features