• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI Supercharger Pulley Failure

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Like I said in a previous post its all about the shopping. IMO if you lay out 4 5 6 or 7 grand for a turbo or supercharger or whatever it better come with a fuel box that works. Its total BS to have to pay another grand plus to re do the fuelling. I mean REALLY? Sledders accept this as just a normal part of doing business with these companies? Give your head a shake.

There have been a zillion threads on this already but with the economy the way it is (this ain't 2007) if you can't thoroughly test your product and deliver it flawless then stay the Fawk out of the business cause you are destined to failure I don't care how good your service is. MCX is a gigantic company now and you as Joe blow turbo systems inc are going to compete, well probably not for more than a few years till you lose your shirt. Talk to Paul at Impulse, if turbos were his life blood he'd be broke already, he basically takes no money out of that company for himself, its not his only income. I build tons of stuff, I get pms all the time from guys wanting tunnels, but why would I do it, theres no money in it Thats just the way it is fellas the small guy is going the way of the dodo, your product better work on day 1 and still be working on day 100.

M5[/QUOTE

M5 I know you along with some other guys on here have many builds under your belt. What Turbo kit do you recommend and why?

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I have a stage three Mpi supercharger, right now I have it pullied down so I have around 230 hp, but it is capable of 300+hp. The only thing I do not like is the stutter between mid and full throttle, they pretty much told me it is just the way it is with the gems unit and to fix it I would need to go with stand alone fuel injection, not sure I am ready to spend another $1200. Do the turbos have this same problem with there fuel injection controllers?

Not sure if you are asking about the MPI turbo, or other turbos in general. I have a push kit and there is no stumble whatsoever. that is with the stock settings, it runs perfectly....have never needed to touch the box. (9-12,000k)

You would sure think with as long as MPI has been making superchargers that they would be able to perfect the pulley design so they don't fall off.

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
[/QUOTE

M5 I know you along with some other guys on here have many builds under your belt. What Turbo kit do you recommend and why?[/QUOTE]

I'm really reluctant to answer this question because I know whats going to happen instead I have another idea. I think its time people started to examine these products and make their own decisions based on fact and hard data and the best way to do this is to examine the components 1 by 1. Against my better judgement I'll start a new thread where we can look a the parts plain and simple then when its done people can make up their own minds because there is no perfect kit and there is no kit that will be perfect for everyone but there is a kit for you out there.

M5

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
M5, We know what will happen here. You can talk about opinions/specifics all you want and beat it to death, but Snowest is not ready for this. There are too many brand loyalists and the minute you start expressing an opinion that doesn't fit with someone elses opinion all hell breaks loose. This forum isn't mature enough to have a grown up discussion about said topics. We have seen it a million times here for the last 10 years. It must be human nature for most people when something they own is garbage and they can't tell it like it is.

Eg. Recently i asked some easy questions on a forum of a product. I didn't form an opinion rather looking for info for some friends. The product didn't add up. Big claims and no info/tech data to support it. The minute i questioned it i got jumped on by the owners of said product. People who couldn't even grasp the basics of the product let alone have the knowledge to explain to me how this magical product worked. They didn't even question their own product. They believed it was what it was because they were told it just worked that way. I was the whipping boy because i asked the hard questions which the developer couldn't even answer on the forum or to my face. Trying to have a meaningful exchange of data on snowmobile forums is not possible LOL, people can't accept the fact they spent money on something that didn't meet their expectation !

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Could be as simple as that then.

And just think.
With all us NYTRO Owners, how boring would life be with a bone stock sled that never failed or had any issues at all.

Where's the fun in that?

Do you really believe that it is normal to have issues all the time because your sled is modded ? Try having a sled that is modded and never have issues ! Its much better to be riding all day long for 5 days in a row than wrecking all your friends riding days because you chose a poor product. There is no fun in sitting around wondering how your gonna get your friends fat pig off the mountain !

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
There is no fun in sitting around wondering how your gonna get your friends fat pig of the mountain !

well not so many years ago a group could NOT escape this issue because thats just the way it was with the sleds....and the FRIENDS were up to the challange and were there for each other..

If the new better QUALITY sleds means less QUALITY friends then i think i would rather ride an Elan

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
well not so many years ago a group could NOT escape this issue because thats just the way it was with the sleds....and the FRIENDS were up to the challange and were there for each other..

If the new better QUALITY sleds means less QUALITY friends then i think i would rather ride an Elan

Believe me i'm the first to hook up to a friends sled and try to yank it out of the most precarious of situations. When a day or two wrecks your 5 day trip its no fun ! Its ALOT MORE fun to all be riding with no issues ! Mod or not. My point WAS, its not okay to accept issues because of mods.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Believe me i'm the first to hook up to a friends sled and try to yank it out of the most precarious of situations. When a day or two wrecks your 5 day trip its no fun ! Its ALOT MORE fun to all be riding with no issues ! Mod or not. My point WAS, its not okay to accept issues because of mods.

I'll vouch for this cause Summitboy changed his plans and drove an hour out of his way to come up the hill and pull me out of a $hit hole where I'd left my sled over night one time. In 8000k my Nytro has been on the rope that one time and it wasn't my fault it was the previous owners using crap fuel in it since then perfect. Knock on wood LOL

M5

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do you really believe that it is normal to have issues all the time because your sled is modded ? Try having a sled that is modded and never have issues ! Its much better to be riding all day long for 5 days in a row than wrecking all your friends riding days because you chose a poor product. There is no fun in sitting around wondering how your gonna get your friends fat pig off the mountain !
When you make EXTENSIVE modifications all at once it comes as no surprise that you have issues.

Coming from a background of building high performance boats, it comes as NO SURPRISE to me at all that things fail and don't work as planned.

Thats just part and parcel of the game.

I am an early adopter of new technology.
And as such that means I will suffer from a higher failure rate than those who wait and allow the same technology to mature and become stable. That is the price I am willing to pay to be out there on the edge.

For me, its an acceptable cost/benefit trade off.

For you, perhaps its not.

M
Jan 14, 2004
When I built my first turbo sled back in 2004 MPI had the super charger out there cause I seroiusly considered buying one so it's not exactly bleeding edge.

M5

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In specific I agree.
But I am referring to my sled in general.
The list of mods I did this summer was rather large.
To expect that I would have NO ISSUES at all was simply unrealistic.

Add to that that I am no mechanic and I was bound to have some problems.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Yes you learned the hard way ! LOL. Ditch that MPI junk and your problems will disapear !:face-icon-small-sho

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
MPI is not junk I mean come on. I have had it for 4 years pounding 5000 miles of trails in the midwest no powder puff here and I have never had a failure, hiccup, stumble, etc. I changed the belts as PM but have a pile of used ones collecting dust. Something obviously had to happen here outside of the design of the kit. I mean if a mcx had a header crack would you call the kit junk too? Im all for calling a kit junk if it proves to be but my MPI kit including the GEMS has never even hinted at running differently other then stock with the exception of a 100 extra hp. There are a lot of kits out there all performing flawlessly.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Zero issues with my MPI turbo kit last winter. The only thing I had to do was build a snorkel kit for deep snow, that is my only complaint.

I am not building a 2013 sled, but if I were - I would go the exact same route and do the MPI 180 turbo kit from Yamaha. I am 100% satisfied with my MPI purchase, the 180 turbo kit works great for me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Finally got the sled into the Garage and up on the stand.
Side panels are off.

Need to drain the oil and remove the tank and then we will see what we see.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
M5, We know what will happen here. You can talk about opinions/specifics all you want and beat it to death, but Snowest is not ready for this. There are too many brand loyalists and the minute you start expressing an opinion that doesn't fit with someone elses opinion all hell breaks loose. This forum isn't mature enough to have a grown up discussion about said topics. We have seen it a million times here for the last 10 years. It must be human nature for most people when something they own is garbage and they can't tell it like it is.

Eg. Recently i asked some easy questions on a forum of a product. I didn't form an opinion rather looking for info for some friends. The product didn't add up. Big claims and no info/tech data to support it. The minute i questioned it i got jumped on by the owners of said product. People who couldn't even grasp the basics of the product let alone have the knowledge to explain to me how this magical product worked. They didn't even question their own product. They believed it was what it was because they were told it just worked that way. I was the whipping boy because i asked the hard questions which the developer couldn't even answer on the forum or to my face. Trying to have a meaningful exchange of data on snowmobile forums is not possible LOL, people can't accept the fact they spent money on something that didn't meet their expectation !

I want to premise this post.

I am NOT starting a pizzin match - quite the contrary, and I will offer NO retort to a negative response.

SummitBoy, you have irritated me to no end in the recent past... several posts, issues, comments - whatever.

That being said...

There have been points you have made that are spot on, dead nuts, and EXCELLENT. You have gotten ZERO credit from myself or most others on this forum for any of your points or observations - until now...

You have my attention (in a positive way) for the moment.

First, you are very intelligent - it shows in your vernacular. Second, you share MY affliction of wanting to PROVE you are intelligent - problem one (I should know).

You simply turn people off by offering YOUR opinion in the way you do... it is in a bit of an "offensive" manner. (My narcissism causes ME the same problem)

We are ALL brand loyal to some extent - We ALL have to justify to OURSELVES why we spent all of that money on good, bad or plain ol' stoopid stuff.

When you point out something that someone else may have reservations about, OF COURSE they are going to bark back

- they don't 100% believe it was a wise purchase either... but they want affirmation - Not somebody telling them they are stoopid. (Even if they know they are.)

I think you have a wealth of knowledge to offer your fellow sledders... I just wish you would create a new and more productive method of delivering it.

From this day on, I will try to sift through your BS, 'cause I think you have some very good points, and they are worth listening to...

Best Regards,
Moto

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Get a life.
What a stupid thing to say.

Christopher, you crack me up you really do. You spend all this time and effort building a sled that obviously has issues. Your on here crying your sled doesn't work, front end is falling apart, MPI kit can't even make one ride to Revy. People help you out and your still on here with posts like "Put me out of my misery". I don't get it ! One minute your defending the worst products of the season for you and the next your crying about them, which is it ?

All i said was get rid of the things that are obviously causing you grief. I tell it like it is. I can give you my MPI supercharger opinion if you really want it.

Since i have seen them on the snow they have had nothing but issues ! Starting from the Apex kit. Alignment issues, belts breaking, running 50/50 race fuel. Leaving their customers high and dry when support was needed, Won't answer their phone etc etc. This list goes on and on. Not to mention the GEMs box, pulleys that can't stay on unless you tighten em before every ride ?. Read this forum since the kits came out ! I know your kind of new around here but the info has/is around. MPI went through a really bad stretch. Who knows if they turned it around, don't know don't care ! I would never spend my hard earned money on anything with the letters MPI on it.

If you like send me that Nytro and i will fix it for you. Hell i'll even test it and make sure it runs right for you and will personally go riding with you so we don't have to hear about your issues anymore. I can guarantee though the MPI kit will be at the bottom of my trash bin along with your Skinz front end.

Get a life ? Dumb thing to say ? Really ? Your the one saying how its okay to spend hard earned money to test pilot stuff and think its okay to go on your "dream trip" and have your sled break and then defend the very junk your on here complaining about ? I know you guys are all brand loyalists, but channel your anger towards the people that dump this crap in your laps !

Premium Features