• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

why is my sled like this?

F
Apr 5, 2009
its been bugging me more and more over the last 2 season. when my sled is sitting normal in the gurage or on the trailor the skis are tipped from the top inward. i want to say the right is a little more than the left but im not sure. i just think with them like that makes me think something is bent or tweeked or soemthing but i cant find what. the a arms were staight when i had them off. any idea or anyone have this same problem?

thanks

leave 101.jpg uoin 001.jpg

mt st helens

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
vancouver, wa
What do your carbides look like on the wear bar. Sometimes your wear bar on the skis get so worn out all that is left is just a little metal and a bunch of carbide left. On a solid ground it would sit funny.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
If nothing looks bent and the spindle bushings look good (eyeball them or pull them apart), I'd pull the ski mounting bolts and check those and the mounting holes and ski holes for wear.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
This happens with all vehicles that have IFS. Its toe in or out depends on perspective. Cause wear all metal fatigues over time ditch bangers would see it the most. What to check!

All front suspension bolts and bushings if you find one problem there is likely more!

Causes:

Jumping is no.1
rough trail or choppy/washboard conditions
hitting rocks/ tree stumps etc.

FIXES:
CHECK FOR WEAR BOLTS,BUSHINGS ETC.
AND DEFINITELY CHECK TIE RODS ON STEERING FOR OTHER FATIGUE!

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
have someone put all their weight on the front bumper while you stand back a few feed and watch what your skis do.... you can watch them tip in and out with the travel of the suspension. all vehicles with independent suspension are like this. jack up the front of your ind susp vehicle (car, pickup, it doesnt matter) and look at your tires. they are all out of wack.

i just looked at your pics. they do appear to be tipped a little further than they should. check all the wear parts in the front suspension...

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Pull your skis and get a look at the mounting hardware. Maybe its just the skis. Take the skis off and swap sides. See if they lean out. Those are a race ski right? Maybe it is designed that way to help corning.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
it is most likely a bent ski from a trailer ski bar. My last set of skis twisted from sitting in the trailer with the bars latched down over the summer

D

DoubleP

Aug 18, 2010
Calgary, AB
If everything is tight you dont have a problem. I switched my HCR front out for an M8 and it looked weird to me as well but after looking at some other sleds I found that is the way it is supposed to be, nothing to worry about. Just ride her!

it is most likely a bent ski from a trailer ski bar. My last set of skis twisted from sitting in the trailer with the bars latched down over the summer

No way thats what it is with C&A skis, they are way too burly for a trailer bar to bend them. Its just the way they are, Picked up my sled with 50 miles on it and the stock skis were slightly pigeon toed like your talking about. I didn't think much of it then put my C&A's on and it looked like it was toed in about an inch on each side but then when you put some weight on the front end they flatten/even out.

The only other thing that might do this besides an obvious bend in hardware or parts would be when towing out if you tie the tow rope to both of the ski loops then up to the bumper of the sled towing you out. However that shouldn't be the case since your on a cat...

Last edited:
F
Apr 5, 2009
now that i think about it when i took the a arms off to bed liner them i wanna say that it was the upper right a arm bold was bent to where i had to put a vise grip on it and hammer it out. if that means anything. when i looked the a arm was fine.

A

AK800

Aug 31, 2009
Eagle River, AK
There is always some degree of camber ("tip-in") in any IFS suspension which helps with control and simply because of design geometry. The idea is when the suspension components come under compression, the spindle (and any attachments--the ski in this case) will remain perpendicular to the ground and give maximum control vs "tipping-out" under compression which gives much less control. Not really all that important in the M-series since a majority of riding is spent in deep snow where holding a line around a corner does not apply (hence why there is no sway-bar). Adjusting the skis inward by moving the spacers on the bottom of the spindle to the outside will also pronounce the appearance that the skis tip inward. However, if as you say, you have to force the A-arms apart, then there is something definitely bent and that also will have an effect on suspension performance. You should be able to lay all the A-arms flat on a table and they should NOT rock back and forth.

Premium Features