• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High EGT's temps

M
Oct 29, 2011
On my 08 M8 i run a pump delete and speedwerks full exhaust and this year installed egt's to get a better understanding of my motor. I'm ran 40:1 and my temps are border line melt down. How do i cool it down. Heard a fuel controler is the next step. Which is better then the other. Looking for any problem with fuel controllers on the market. Or any advice on how to cool my temps down.

C
Jan 12, 2008
What are your egt's running for temp ? Mid range you should see 1150-1200 deg. Wot you should see around 1100...

Elevation your riding at ? Anything above 6k you should not need a fuel controller with your set-up...I would highly suggest the BDX AirBox mod with your pipe etc...Really wakes that motor up.

Max rpm's at Wot should be around 7900 rpm's

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You really need to tune MAX EGT to your plugs. There is no one special max EGT. Every sled can be different.

Get the sled dialed in reading piston wash and plugs. Do a full throttle run and TURN OFF THE SLED at the max RPM with a solid pull.

Some sleds run great at 1200 Degrees and other will burn down there. Don't use someone elses numbers

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
You really need to tune MAX EGT to your plugs. There is no one special max EGT. Every sled can be different.

Get the sled dialed in reading piston wash and plugs. Do a full throttle run and TURN OFF THE SLED at the max RPM with a solid pull.

Some sleds run great at 1200 Degrees and other will burn down there. Don't use someone elses numbers

I agree.
My 07 800 would run over 1400 degrees in the mid range. It was stock except Carbon Tech reeds and I backed off the oil pump 1.5 turns

Ran over 5000 miles like this.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
My 07 M8 also runs up around 1400. I think it really depends on probe location.

X2!!!!
Even an inch or two difference away from the piston compared to another set up I believe makes quite a difference. When the exhaust gases are that much hotter compared to the cold air around the pipes and outside, I think it will drop in temperature VERY fast. Imagine a block of ice that you put outside when it is 33 degrees, it will melt because 32 is freezing but it will take much longer compared to that same block of ice outside when it is 100 degrees. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the bigger the difference in temp between the two the faster one will become the same temp as the other, and if you figure the egt is 1400 degrees and outside it is 30 degrees, that is a HUGE difference in temp. So the temperature will drop EXTREMELY fast. Another thing to think about is that you can put your hand at the end of the muffler so the exhaust is hitting your hand and it won't burn you but your egt gauge will tell you it is 900 degrees, if it were that hot coming out it would melt your hand into nothing. So in the short amount of time it leaves the cylinder and comes out the muffler, the temperature has dropped a TON.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
On my 08 M8 i run a pump delete and speedwerks full exhaust and this year installed egt's to get a better understanding of my motor. I'm ran 40:1 and my temps are border line melt down. How do i cool it down. Heard a fuel controler is the next step. Which is better then the other. Looking for any problem with fuel controllers on the market. Or any advice on how to cool my temps down.

you tune your egts to your motor..not your motor to your egts

if at a wide open throttle test..15 sec..your plugs are good..(hard to get a wash indicator) and your temps are a million degrees you are safe..
go to 30 sec wide open test..plugs are good..temp at a million degrees..your safe

do same tests at 3/4 1/2 1/4..the indicators of the plugs and wash is what tells you what egt temps are ok...

so corrolate the egt temps to what the engine says..and double check again later if ya want..and keep a careful eye regardless

i know its scary having a egt temp near the point of melting aluminum but if the plugs are telling your a differant story then don;t be scared of what the egt is telling you..i have temps around 1170 wot and good plugs..i am alot hotter 1/2 to 3/4 range (1300)but the plugs seem ok..but i still don;t like to hold a steady throttle position in these ranges..but be careful cause their are lean spots often..

regardless a person is always on the edge of worry..lol..it goes with aftermarket territory..a fuel pressure adjustable regulator is the cheaper answer often (bdx is the best)..but will increase the fuel throughout the whole range..so if ya can live with a few psi increase and still have what ya need in low med and wot without loading and bringing your plug readings safer the the fuel reg is the answer

Last edited:
M
Oct 29, 2011
Rode hard today max temp was 1320 mid range. On the trail wot was about 1270-1290. Climbing it was about 1120-1150 on hard pull. Tommorrw I'll do the plug test figure out where i am on the plugs to make sure my egt's are where they need to be. Thanks a ton for the advice everyone. If you have any more suggestions keep them coming.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
A half inch to close or to far away from the piston skirt will make a difference of close to 100 degrees on your egt. Mounting location is CRUCIAL !!

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
The thing to remember when you think you are at the melting point of aluminum. There is coolant cooling the head and cylinders down. That is the temp of the gasses, not the piston heads.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
tape off your gauge so you cant read it. run plug tests as stated above, when you look at the wash, and it is fine, pull the tape, run the same tests writing down the egts, that same instance, and same conditions (same outside temp as well). set your warning levels, and run it.

it is best to run these tests at different out side temps (hi and low) to get a solid basline, so you know where you are when the outside temp swings. a controler will help you adjust your fuel curve for the temp swing. adjustable fuel pressure gauge is a good investment as well.

ive seen sleds melt at 1000 on the egt, and run great with 1400 or higher. alot depends on probe placement.

dont worry about the numbers, until you run plug chop tests.

ski

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IT sounds to me that it is safe if you are only getting 1160-1200 on hard pulls the mid range on all of the laydown motors are real high. when i ran slp twins on my rkt m-7-8 it would run 1450 in the mid and it was find plugs looked good

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
If you have run the past couple years without a controller and the same mods, I would just keep on running it like that and dump the egt gauge. If it hasn't burned down yet it probably won't now. If you get another airbox, I would run one though.......

Aaron

Premium Features