• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are aftermarket seats worth the money?

E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
I recently bought a new seat on my M7. I had been looking at the options,but mainly looked at 2010 m-seat, I was looking for a used one,but got a great deal on a new one at "country cat overstock" $249. I haven´t ridden it, but I am sure I will like it because most people are.
The reason I am talking about this, is when I was looking at the options I found most of the aftermarket seats are ridiculously expensive. New Boss seat is $488.

So I am just curious to know are backcountry mountain guys really willing to spend around $500 for a seat the hardly use, except when they are on the trail?

If I am really honest I bought the seat also because I think it will make the sled look a little bit better or more modern, I am standing 80-90% of the time and the old m-seat is great to swing your leg over when sidehilling.

So are aftermarket seats mostly about getting the the sleds to look better? what do you guys think?

I know on some new sleds the are getting to high like on the new proclimb. and shorter guys need lower seats, but I am mostly talking about the m-series in this threat.

thanks
Einar

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
I received the cat boss seat when I got my 09 M, took it to a local fabric/funiture cover repair place. Had them cut it down 2in and then replace the rock hard foam with some softer stuff. Lowered the seat made it softer and kept it light. Yes aftermarket seats if found for the right price is worth it.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
IMO the 2010 Cat seat is the best bang for the buck.
I like taking weight off my sleds where possible, but $200 for a Cat seat vs $500 for another brand after market for a few lb savings isn't worth it. Plus the Cat seat fits the sled well and has HUGE storage.
I think they're fine for shorter people. My wife is 5-3 and she loves the 2010 seat on her M7 vs the old M seat.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I bought an axess seat from R&M, yes it was expensive but it is a couple inches taller (which I love!!), is considerably lighter (didn't weigh but you can feel the difference holding one in one hand and the other in the other), and has more storage than probably any other seat out there. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend to get more imo.

Not a great website but you see basically what the seat looks like:
www.rmproducts.info/index.html

Premium Features