• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carb or EFI on 06 M7

R
Dec 24, 2011
I am going to check out a 2006 M7 and I want to make absolutely certain it is EFI since they made both that year. I've tried searching for pics and everything seems to show a cover over the TB/carb area. Are there some high pressure EFI fuel lines that are visible without removing anything? Any ECU part numbers that are different? Any visible fuel pump, or connector going to a fuel pump on the EFI sleds? Does the carb model have a visible choke that the EFI doesn't have? If I have to take something off to see, what is the easiest to remove, and any special tools (other than standard sockets/wrenches). Bonus credit for any pics you can point me to.

While we are at it, are the plugs easy to get to and remove for a compression check?

I have tried searching and I seem to be doing something wrong as I cannot get my searches narrowed down sufficiently. All of my multiple word searches seem to be "or" instead of "and"? Any guidance there would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
carb vs efi

as you mentioned, carb models will have the normal cat choke lever on the dash.

when you raise the hood and look in front of the engine the carb models have a vertical looking rach mount with cable adjustment in the middle between the carbs, the efi is a squatty looking set of injector bodies rack mounted no throttle stop or idlel adjustments anywhere to put a screwdriver too.

carb models work ok, never run quite as good as the efi, they can, but require jetting changes. been there, had one of my gandsons riding a carbed M yesterday, 05 been stone cold reliable, but always requires some direct gas down a plug hole for the first fire out of the covered trailer each fall. My efi sleds, three pulls afer 6 months sitting, whoooom.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Carb vs. Efi should stand out like a turd in a punchbowl. Carb sleds will obviously have carbs, Efi will have fuel injectors. Throttle pull will usually be heavier with carb as well.

R
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks for the help.

I have not seen one in person, but from all the pics I was able to find online, I couldn't see any injector, fuel rail, or other distinguishable feature as they appear to buried. I also wasnt sure if the efi had a cold start knob that looked just like a choke (my FI YZ450f has one) and I didn't want to make assumptions.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Thanks for the help.

I have not seen one in person, but from all the pics I was able to find online, I couldn't see any injector, fuel rail, or other distinguishable feature as they appear to buried. I also wasnt sure if the efi had a cold start knob that looked just like a choke (my FI YZ450f has one) and I didn't want to make assumptions.

Nope, carb will have a choke, efi wont. The throttle on the carb will be stiff feeling vs the efi. Throttle pull on the EFI is effortless. Also, seams like the EFI's had a EFI sticker on the hood somewhere.

S
Sep 16, 2010
The biggest giveaway is the choke switch. The EFI won't have anything like it. If you can tell the difference between a carb and a fuel injector, you will be able to view them. They are not covered by anything.

The carbed M7s aren't as common. I haven't heard of any problems with them, but considering the huge advantages of EFI, I wouldn't consider an M7 without it.

Getting at the spark plugs is not terribly difficult, but you have to remove the pipe to get at them. Remove the pipe springs, remove the pipe, and the spark plugs are right there.

Good luck. M7s are great machines!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
the carbs or fuel rails are right under the y-pipe so if the choke lever dont give it away look there. also all the carbed ones were green 153" sleds and only available in '06.

i've been running a carbed m7 since '06 and they're nowhere near as bad as all these people make them out to be and nothing to be afraid of. i ride with a few efi m7s and i've seen nothing to make me wish i would have bought an efi one. my sled starts on 2nd or 3rd pull everytime at the beginning of the day and on the first the rest of the day and stays running, one of the efi ones on the first start up of the days usually fires for a second then dies and needs restarted, every ride. the other one wont tach over 7500rpm no matter what, its bone stock other than all the different clutch setups we've tried to fix the prob. but no go. i dont have none of the engine issues the m7s are known for like, fuel pressure issues, over oiling, getting a bog if you so much as put a can on it, worrying about frying the comp if you take the hood off or a light goes out etc, etc. i ride anywhere from 6000-9500ft and never touch the jetting and the sled runs just as consistantly as any of the efi sleds i ride with poo or cat and is one of the top performers in our group.

sorry for the long rant, i just think its funny how they get such a bad rap(usually from people that have never even seen one, let alone rode one) for the "old" technology that hasta make them crap just cuz its "old", been lisyening to it for years. ya, there is poorly setup ones out there but that can happen with any of them. i'm just sayin i wouldn't be scared of one for that reason.

DISCLAIMER: i'm not sayin carbs are better than efi, just that they can run just as good as the relatively simple M7 efi. i also have no doubt the the efi of now is far superior to the carbs or the m7 efi. merry quanza to all my nigerian friends.:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
After effin around with my M1k chasing down a chaffed wire that killed my spark IN THE GARAGE and quitting on putting in the extra motor mount and push stop due to having to gut the machine like a dead fish to get it done, there's something to be said for a simple carbed sled.
Not that I'm b!atching, my M7 EFI and M1k both run well, but My last 2 sleds, a ZR500 carb and RMK 800 carb both ran fine, jetted once for altitude and left them there always started good and dare say ran as spot on or moreso than the efi's.
I wouldn't turn down a M7 in good shape because it was a carb model.

R
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks guys. The sled I was looking at was an 06, green 153" which is why I was being extra careful.

Sure enough, the TB's were in the open and the injectors and fuel rail were readily visible and identifiable (to anyone with basic FI knowledge). For anyone searching later, all other items mentioned here were found to be correct as well; the lack of choke should be visible in most pics, and there is in fact a sticker that says EFI on the hood just in front of the headlights.

BTW: I bought it...:tea:

Premium Features