• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ms on rough trails?

J
Mar 21, 2008
As some read in the treads I have posted I have been thinkinbg about buying a used M depending on what I can find.
How do they ride on rough trails? I ride some in the up of MI and we will have 40 miles of knee deep or deeper whoops some days at the end.
are the sleds with the floats better or worse than the 07s?
Valving and shock work I can do myself, but how are they stock?

D
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
The stock valving is better every year, but M's are just not that great and whooped out trails. I am sure there are guys on here that have the valving dialed to handle the bumps, but IMHO you can't get forward enough to stand on the pivot point of the sled, so you are going to get bounced around no matter what. M is an excellent mountain sled, but not the best on the trail in and out.

J
Mar 21, 2008
Dam! for what these sleds cost now days I was hoping I could get both

The stock valving is better every year, but M's are just not that great and whooped out trails. I am sure there are guys on here that have the valving dialed to handle the bumps, but IMHO you can't get forward enough to stand on the pivot point of the sled, so you are going to get bounced around no matter what. M is an excellent mountain sled, but not the best on the trail in and out.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
07 will take the hits better than the 08-10 M the '11 is a little better. After you work over the 08-11 they work much better and if done right there pretty good but still not as good as the new cat, poo, doo. But good enough not to worry, I also cut my steering posts and weld them together with a forward angle to get farther forward but it doesn't change much on the trail. Put some raptor shocks on one and its a dream ride from what I hear

J
Mar 21, 2008
07 will take the hits better than the 08-10 M the '11 is a little better. After you work over the 08-11 they work much better and if done right there pretty good but still not as good as the new cat, poo, doo. But good enough not to worry, I also cut my steering posts and weld them together with a forward angle to get farther forward but it doesn't change much on the trail. Put some raptor shocks on one and its a dream ride from what I hear

So are you saying a float skid works better than an 07 after it has been revalved? Or just that the float skids are much better than they were before? I never have been impressed with cats shock valving, single stage stacks? WTF are they stuck in the 80s? LOL
The 07s seem to be cheaper than the newer ones maybee I just buy an 07 and put an ez ryde in?
Does the float skid do anything better or is it just lighter?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Stock form, its just lighter. I had a 07 m1000 that I could really pound the trail, and with the power no one ever kept up but it was a all out, hang the f*ck on, kinda pounding (4ft wind blown hits at 60+mph) and near out of control but it did it. I hate trail riding so I would just pin it and then wait for everyone to show up while I took a break. My 09 m1000, 3 2ft hits and bottoms out, just beat the heII out of you. I had it revalved by holz and now its better than the 07, it could be better but you would need better shocks like raptors, but then I think you could really run it.

J
Mar 21, 2008
Since you had an 07 and an 09... I have been looking into which sled to get and I dont want to have to spend the extra money for the newer sled, how did you like the 07 you had? The guys I ride with are tree riders more so than hillclimbers, I can have a good time either way, but would an 07m1000 be a good sled for tree riding? I have not spent much time on an m but I am looking at cats by process of elimitation, and I cant resist big power potential with small mods. I would think about an m7 also but I like power

J
Jan 1, 2008
Coming from a firecat SP and now riding an 08 m1k, the ride of the m1000 is great compared to the firecat. What you will find is that it spans the bumps a lot better than a short tracker. I can even get the 153 to go around a corner pretty decent, almost as well as my F7. Had so many damn studs in it, it tended to push. I wish the front arm spring was a little heavier but thats about it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I would take the 09 or newer and pay at least $2000 more to get it, its twice the sled.
Just needs a little tweaking.

I'm the guy with a new '12 in pieces to make it better, so take what you want from this but anyone will tell you the 09 and up M's are the way to go.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I think rider weight and style make a difference too. Coming off years of shorty race sleds, I think my 07M1000 rides pretty good in the bumps, but I have a Float conversion in it and am heavy enough that I like the Floats. (200-215 depending on if I have been in the gym packing on the weight, lol.) Long sleds span bumps, but they also can get rocking pretty good. Come down on the rear of the sled on a tall one, with skis in a hole and it will try to chuck you off the front. I love big bumps, always have, but that is why I also have a short track bump sled. ;)

N
Jan 2, 2008
Walla Walla, WA
I did the Burandt revalve last year on my 08. Made it MUCH better to ride than stock, and somehow improved the deep snow performance a bit too. Seems strange that such a small change could make such a big difference, but I was very happy I did that.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
07 M8 and 08 M8 here and I notice on the bumps when I'm starting off in the morning I can just bounce through the bumps and hang on for the ride, then stop and rest and wait for my wife. On the way out at the end of the day, my wife on the 08 with floats is usually 50 yards ahead of me, and isn't waiting.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
If you have 40 miles of knee deep whoops I would find a different sport! I've never seen any sled that would smooth that out.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana

When I up dated the o7's to floats, its was better, I think just a little better geometry for the rear shock. When I took an 05 and added the 08 front and rear arms with rear shock with coil springs it was better than the 08.

Then every year cat has made better float valving. Going to go with the o11 rear shock vavle / coil spring shock on an 06 m6. That I believe is a durn good mogul masher for m skid. Ridden ez glide.........ooops that one wasn't a mogul machine, maybe they can be, ok welded it up later for the guy.

40 miles of detour to ride, buy the cat 500 play racer ditch banger, rode some really wooped crap on the way out of Mtn Jefferson when they came out in the spring, fun fun fun . Glad I didn't own that one.

Premium Features