• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone tried the new SPOT CONNECT??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have a SPOT 2 as well, and it works great.

I am considering the SPOT CONNECT because it would interface with my iPhone 4S and allow back country messaging.

My "Failsafe" is a McMurdo 406/121.5Mhz dual band Fast Find Plus Personal Locator Beacon with the Arctic battery pack. This is a unit I would trust my life to as I know it will reach out and trigger the SARSAT.
fastfind_plus.jpeg

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
No other users?

I know old post but there is no snow so what the heck.

I have a spot connect. Used it a couple times last season.

I would charge it over night, throw it in my bag when leaving in the morning.

But i would forget it connect with my phone before we are out of service so other that for a panic it was most often times of no use.

When I was lucky enough to pair it with my phone before leaving the house it tracked great, was just the right size, i would clip it to my bag on my windshield, and leave it running all day.

At the end of the season it started doing some odd things and not working at all so I just tossed it in my bag of gear and did not mess with it again.

Now that I am thinking about it I am going to go dig it out and figure out what the deal was.

In retrospect would i buy it again, No.

I never did get it to send text messages, via phone number's or email to text using cell providers sequence.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I know old post but there is no snow so what the heck.

I have a spot connect. Used it a couple times last season.

I would charge it over night, throw it in my bag when leaving in the morning.

But i would forget it connect with my phone before we are out of service so other that for a panic it was most often times of no use.

When I was lucky enough to pair it with my phone before leaving the house it tracked great, was just the right size, i would clip it to my bag on my windshield, and leave it running all day.

At the end of the season it started doing some odd things and not working at all so I just tossed it in my bag of gear and did not mess with it again.

Now that I am thinking about it I am going to go dig it out and figure out what the deal was.

In retrospect would i buy it again, No.

I never did get it to send text messages, via phone number's or email to text using cell providers sequence.

You say you'd charge it overnight... this does not recharge. It uses lithiums ONLY, and if you used something else, I'm surprised it worked at all.

If you get a new phone, you need to sync it once while in service to get the phone to see what messages are on the system, THAT is my biggest bich about this setup, without that, it's 911 only.

I think I'd go with the new delorme system now that it's out... 2 way messaging, not sure on whatever quirks it may have though.

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Looking into a spot, I have an iPhone 5 that is always in my pocket when i ride, so the connect is interesting. I've read through this and see its pro's and con's, anyone have anything else to add?

Also looking at the standard spot 2.

Service price is the same, Anyone have any advice for me?

redrockwr

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2010
Moab, Utah
I have the standard spot 2 and I really like it. I also debated the connect but for me it came down to thinking about what if my phone battery died then I would not be able to send any messages. So I choose the spot 2 which the battery in it lasts a long time and I do not have to rely on two things with batteries.
Downside is you cannot type in custom messages into the spot 2. The connect is really cool in that aspect.
I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have the standard spot 2 and I really like it. I also debated the connect but for me it came down to thinking about what if my phone battery died then I would not be able to send any messages. So I choose the spot 2 which the battery in it lasts a long time and I do not have to rely on two things with batteries.
Downside is you cannot type in custom messages into the spot 2. The connect is really cool in that aspect.
I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Keep in mind you CAN still send sos/ 911 messages without the phone.

That main issue though is a big reason why I just called snowbigdeal today & got a new inreach on the way.

to me it's like having a connect, but also having the options that the 1/2 had to send ok messages without the phone.

There are a number of reasons I decided to go with the inreach, but I'm still very solidly on the side of saying the connect and spot are a great product.

I think the connect takes a bit more getting used to than an emergency product should have... but if it's important to you, you'll take the little time needed to get familiar with it. I'm stoked to check out the delorme & report back about what I think of it after a few excursions!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have the Connect. It's VERY easy to ride.

Love the phone app for android.

I'm glad I upgraded.

If anyone wants the original Spot, I have one for sale. Still in great working order.
Oh, and it's got new batteries.

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Awesome guys, looking forward to the reports. My season is just about over, but i'll be shopping for one for next season.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
On my connect, I've had batteries go down on two consecutive rides.

Could be a bad batch of batteries though, not sure.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think the connect takes a bit more getting used to than an emergency product should have... but if it's important to you, you'll take the little time needed to get familiar with it. I'm stoked to check out the delorme & report back about what I think of it after a few excursions!

FYI, got a number of uses out of my new inreach, and wanted to comment:

about as much hassle to set up as the connect, but more friendly & useable interface to deal with. more full featured when attached to phone, but my main thing I like is that I can send my 3 messages without using the phone.

I carry the phone with me still, but in reality I never need it for check in's, so I know the battery will be good if I actually were in a situation, and needed to have a conversation with someone, or contact 911 with specifics.

My check in on sat, done without the phone.
https://enterprise.delorme.com/textmessage/viewmsg?mo=5341190c64fe4842b318a1a0cd8c72aa2312683

Got a killer deal on it from snowbigdeal... pretty stoked on the unit as is, only real complaint is perhaps the cost of the service IF you care about tracking, which I don't, so it's pretty close to the spot cost for me.

Edit:

One thing that should be mentioned from a rescue perspective, the map it's displayed on IMO is a decent step up from the google maps that spot uses. IMO this map gives someone a better interface to figure out where you're at (in terrain mod this is) than the spot setup. Also someone can send messages from that map page easily, so return contact is pretty simple. (I've got this disabled for my "OK" messages, so that people don't waste my airtime, but my "I need help" messages are set up so that you can respond.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The initial batteries that came with mine crapped out in 2 months.

I tossed them and threw in what I had sitting around the house (which were NOT lithium). Those batteries lasted one ride.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I know the first ones were. They lasted just two months.

Premium Features