• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Special Set up

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Just picked up a 99 PS 700, the rear skid mount is mounted in the bracket below the tunnel, but I can see a mark where it was mounted to the hole above tunnel at one time, the front is in stock location but it does have the knockout inside tunnel ,where I can drill it out to match the rear, should I leave it, drop the front, raise the rear, also where should my limiter straps be out or pulled in, and how abt. gearing , my last 02 MC 1010 with NOS I ran 19/39, same for this?whats the best setup to get on top of the snow, I don't need trenching, we don't have much room to turn out here in the northeast, it's all trees, when you're climbing a long logging road straight up a mountain in 4' of fresh and it's trenching you're done! So I'm not too worried abt. trail set up , want the best powder set-up. Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
By the way, does anyone know if the way it's bolted now is stoc, also with some research I see some guys suggesting running the straps tighter? Also moving the skid back, help it's snowing, oh and whats the best clutch engagement spring for no trenching it has a red spring now.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
I can't help much as far as set up but can tell you what you have is not stock. Stock '99 PS's did not have drop brackets. Do you have or can you get some pics? Would help in IDing what is not stock. Did previous owner just add drop brackets? Did he put on a replacement tapered tunnel? Replacement skid? Or? Do you have anymore info? How long is the track? Etc.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Here's some pics, I think the rear bracket is factory, In 2001 performance manual MC shows mounting to that lower bracket, ZR's mount above, but can't find anything about 99 definitive, I do know 01 had a slightly different tunnel, because I had one and removed it to do a VanAmburg hillclimb tunnel on that sled. Also see in the pics there are no lower front holes only rear ones abt. 2-1/2" back, there are rear holes in the rear brackets also, I'm thinking they may be for a 141" track as if I moved the skid back to those holes I think the track would be too tight, where is everyone running there's for best powder performance? There's a few stock options, what are they for, should it be where it is, or did this guy have it set up for trail?

100_2989.jpg 100_2990.jpg 100_2991.jpg 100_2992.jpg

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
C'mon guys I see like everyone on this forum with Powder Specials in your sig, no one wants to give up their' set- ups. Someone must know if what I got is good or no good, heeeeeeeeeeelllpp!

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
that drop bracket looks like mountain cat stuff, maybe somebody swapped in a MC skid?

I just looked it up and Cat parts diagram shows the bracket on the tunnel so it's stock, but is it supposed to be used, because I can see where it was mounted up on the tunnel at one time. Also shows the red primary and yellow secondary springs as stock, but I wonder if there is anything better? What are you running?

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Well, I'm totally fricking confused at this point. My '99 PS EFI 600 has a black tunnel as I thought the '99 700 had as well. My recollection was that when Cat went to the unfinished tunnel in 2000 or 2001 they also went to the tapered tunnel which this does not appear to be. The bracket appears to be black which further confuses me. I see the bracket on the parts page that mtnx refers to but I think that is the riveted on tunnel reinforcement bracket rather than a drop bracket. I'll try to remember to get into my trailer this weekend and take another look at my PS. Hopefully someone on here can make more sense of this than I can.

T
Sep 10, 2009
meridian ID
I just looked it up and Cat parts diagram shows the bracket on the tunnel so it's stock, but is it supposed to be used, because I can see where it was mounted up on the tunnel at one time. Also shows the red primary and yellow secondary springs as stock, but I wonder if there is anything better? What are you running?

i was actually not referring to the bracket itself, i was talking about the piece that goes from the drop bracket to the skid. I have an 01 MC800, so im afraid that im probably not alot of help

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
I called my local dealer last night and he looked it up and said the cat book shows the tunnel and bracket, but book says to never mount the skid to the lower hole/ bracket, but he could'nt explain why or what would happen if it's there , which it is. I looked under there last night and it seems if you drop the rear to where it is now it would kinda turn the rail tips up in front , which would lessen the attack angle, I think, which should be better for powder, no? Also my straps are out (longer), it seems if I tighten the bolts which would pull them up (shorter) it would also lessen the attack angle, no ? Less attack angle is better in powder? Please let me know if I got this right? Also he confirmed the red spring in primary, yellow in secondary with a straight 51 degree helix were the factory set-up which he thought should be pretty good for powder as the red would engage real low which would help to not trench. He's an awesome drag sled guy, but like he sad, I don't get out in the powder much, so maybe you guys can confirm since you're in it more than not.

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Less approach angle is good. The thing you need to be careful of is your rails spearing your track at the front. This maybe why the book says not to use this hole... I have homemade drop brackets dropping the track down even lower but I also have a Mountain cat skid so everything was different. I say try it and see what happens. Go home and make adjustments.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Less approach angle is good. The thing you need to be careful of is your rails spearing your track at the front. This maybe why the book says not to use this hole... I have homemade drop brackets dropping the track down even lower but I also have a Mountain cat skid so everything was different. I say try it and see what happens. Go home and make adjustments.

So if the rear skid mount is lower it would give you less angle? And what abt. the straps tightened ( shorter) less angle also, just want to make sure I'm getting this right? Also wondering if they don't want you to use this hole because it throws off the center of gravity. Did you have a factory bracket before, where was it mounted before you moved it and what differences do you see with the drop bracket?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I would mount the rear in the lower hole. I would mount the front in the lower hole and suck the limiter strap up aways. These sled were trenchers, partly set-up, partly track but I found with a setup like I described they would trench less and maintain better track speed because the tunnel to tunnel clearance would not get snowbound. Track stabbing was not an issue with the 2.52 pitch.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
I would mount the rear in the lower hole. I would mount the front in the lower hole and suck the limiter strap up aways. These sled were trenchers, partly set-up, partly track but I found with a setup like I described they would trench less and maintain better track speed because the tunnel to tunnel clearance would not get snowbound. Track stabbing was not an issue with the 2.52 pitch.

OK it's in the lower hole in rear, the front has only a rear hole with plastic cap on it as you can see in pics, will that work or should I drill out the tunnel to drop the hole down, if so how much, or I have heard there are partial holes that need to be drilled out from the inside , I can check. Just curioues though if I drop the front I know what you're saying abt. more clearance but would'nt that make the angle steeper,? how is aways on the limiter strap 3/4 of the threads? How abt. the front shock ,did you lewave yours looose? Thanks and have a great Xmas, Louie

Premium Features