• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

~~The Official Phazer Thread~~

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Was looking at the picture of the 3 Phazers with the 15 wide tracks. Anyone know what is involved to widen the bulkhead area to do this. I have one here and a nice 15 wide track that would be just the ticket with 12lbs of boost

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Found the selenoid, thanks for pointing out the location. When I turn the key I get a one faint "click."

So to test it, as I understand, take a screw driver and put it in contact with both positive and negative post on the selenoid and then turn the key over. If this starts the engine then the problem is the selenoid.

You can turn it over with a screwdriver across the contacts, but it will not start because the relay also controls the fuel pump, at least my nytro and phazer would not run the fuel pump. To get ours out of a bowl where towing out was not an option we had to use jumpers to run the fuel pump all the time, and then used a screwdriver to short the contacts and start it. I just got my wifes solenoid in the mail and they are only like 26$ from south seattle sports plaza.

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
Trenching!!!

Ok, here's the deal. We were out this last weekend and got into some pretty deep sugary fluff and my wife's 09 Phazer MTX absolutely would not stay on top of the snow at all. Spent the whole afternoon digging it out time after time. It's my wife's backup sled and my brother-in-law was riding it. He's a little inexperienced but not totally new to the sport. Moved him over to the wife's 600 for a while and he did just fine. I rode the Phazer for a while and it did a little better but still trenched like crazy. I know the 14 inch track has a lot to do with it because of the lack of floatation but is there any adjustments I can do suspension-wise to keep the sled on top a little better. Out of the 6 sleds in our group the Phazer was the only one that really had trouble. Even my mom's Trail RMK 550 fanner with a 136 1.25 performed better. Phazer didn't seem to run out of power, it just couldn't stay on top and could never get any momentum to keep moving.
Don't get me wong, I'm not knocking the sled. It's a great little sled and a a lot of fun to ride but it was a total PITA the last weekend. Any suggestions on adjustments to reduce trenching would be very much appreciated.

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
Does a better track exist in a 14" design? Would like to go a little longer but I'm not so sure I'm comfortable cutting one:face-icon-small-sho pretty sure I would probably end up ruining it.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
The first issue with trenching , I believe, is the approach angle. Look at the Phazer track and then compare it to the Polaris that was in the group of sleds you were riding. You will find that the Phazer has a steeper approach angle. The sled is fighting to get on top of the snow. After that, the type of track is important. The Maverick track is for harder, packed snow, like in the spring. The polaris type 3 and type 4 tracks, along with the skidoo summit tracks are good choices. You just have to trim them down. I did a skidoo 16" wide track and cut about 1" off of each side with a skilsaw. The width ranges from 13 7/8" to 14 1/4" (I wandered a little bit) and it works pretty well.
I did a project of setting my rear skid back a few inches to soften the approach angle. You can see it earlier in this thread.
Just a couple of things to think about.

M

Mean Yamaha

May 3, 2008
Laramie WY
www.Team7220.zxq.net
Does Anyone have any advice for me. My wifes 07 phazer had a big problem the motor is blowen. There is a dime size hole in the block right above the starter. I need a new motor or something to stand on to fight with yamaha. It only has about 1000 miles on it. Any ideas??

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Earlier I had posted that I replaced my starter relay on my wifes phazer. The starter problem went away for about 2 rides and then it started again, no matter what I did I could not get it to start and run with out running jumpers straight to the fuel pump. I found on totally yamaha some people were having similer issues and that Yamaha issued a service bulletin to replace some ground wires that were over heating. Since mine is turboed I do all my own work and do not even mess with dealers, so I started looking for ground wire connections that looked melted and I found it on the main harness right behind the radiator. It is a small yellow terminal connection where all the grounds meet together, it had a burnt spot on one side. So if any one else had starting problems check this first before replacing the relay. This is not a recall, but it should be, if I was not riding with someone who had troubleshooting jumpers we would not have got my wifes sled back out of the bowl we were in, everyone should just keep an eye on it anyway.

W

Walden

Dec 18, 2008
Wisconsin
07 vs. 08, 09, 10

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a used Phazer MTX for my wife and son to share and am wondering if there are any drastic differences between the last four year models. Obviously newer will be a bit more and less is good, but if there are appreciable differences in suspension or that I can steer away from let me know. THANKS!

W

Walden

Dec 18, 2008
Wisconsin
thanks moto-psycho.. Is the a list or a thread with all of the updates that would need to be done on an 07? Were they all fixed on an 08?

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
There is a bunch of info here on SW and also at TY4Stroke.com

Just search "Phazer hard start", "phazer ice build up", "Phazer tunnel block off" etc... you will find what you need.

S
Sep 15, 2010
Utah
Phazer Turbo

Hello
I just bought a 2007 Phazer with a turbo on it.
It only has 390 miles. Does anyone have a phazer with a turbo.
I need to look and see how the turbo is mounted.
And is there anything to watch for?

Thanks

Luke

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Hello
I just bought a 2007 Phazer with a turbo on it.
It only has 390 miles. Does anyone have a phazer with a turbo.
I need to look and see how the turbo is mounted.
And is there anything to watch for?

Thanks

Luke

What are you looking for in the turbo mounting? If it is an MCX it mounts right under the seat and attaches to the seat frame. One big thing to look out for are cracks in the headers, they have been known to crack and get loud, at that point the heat can escape and melt the gas tank, causing some of the fires that turbo phazers have been known for. The other thing is the gas tank vent that goes down by your left foot, when you roll a phazer the vent can leak some gas out that may find its way into the header area and cause a fire, Totally Yamaha has lots of info on these two issues. I have had my wifes turboed for a year and it has been great.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Here is our newest version of Phazer Better Boards. I also cut the footbar off this sled as they don't anything but add weight and hurt your shins. Also added that back plate pretty much for astetics. I wouldn't advise people to hack a hole in that rear bracket. You need a giant hole to get any evacuation and then you seriously risk structural support there. Mainly just looks nice and hopefully the snow will pile forward and out that hole. We put a little cleat just incase.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

phazer cut out no footwell bar.JPG phazer front to back no rear plate yet.JPG Phazer quarter Better Boards.jpg Phazer close-up Better Boards.jpg

phblacks10

Premium Member
Oct 28, 2010
Minnesota
So i've been talking to a guy that is selling his camoplast freeride 136x14x1.5 track and rail extention from tracks usa for 400 dollars but i have been waiting for him to get it off his sled for two months now. I saw that tracks usa has a deel for the camoplast 144x14x2" track with rail extentions for 450 so i think im going to do that now. my only question is that a peer mountain track or is it ok for trail ridding too?

Premium Features