• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Knee Braces

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
How many of you guys are running knee braces? When I ride Moto I wouldn't throw a leg over a bike without them, at this point i would find it weird to not have them on. With a sled I just cant get them to work. I have a set of mobious
braces and they are alright but they pinch in my gear and they pull my leg hair and move to much. I am trying to get feedback as to how necessary they are for sleds. Im not hucking big jumps Im more of a drainage/tree guy. Also if anyone had any suggestions for something they are using I would love to hear about it. I have thought about the Klim havoc boots as they work like moto boots and help secure the brace but at this point I do not think anything from Klim is worth the money.

Thanks!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My daughter has had three knee surgeries from basketball, my wife one from volleyball. Both have medically fitted braces they won’t play sports without.

Neither will wear them riding. They both claim the brace against the seat creates a leverage point that does more harm than good. Both were scared to try without, but very pleased with the results. Both would be in agony after a ride with braces. Both have around a thousand miles now without, doing very well.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
We wear asterisk knee braces on our rides but when either off us get on the sleds for the day they come off . The braces get in the way and are uncomfortable when maneuvering side to side on the machine . Sleds are not yet designed for them , they are getting better compared to the older machines that are just painful to ride with knee braces .

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
This has been my experience as well. Once I hop over they start moving and I am fighting them when I should be worried about the line Im working. I wear them religiously on a bike I just cant figure it out for sleds.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
I have a pair of custom fit CTi2 braces from my snocross days. I wouldn’t ride without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Nov 26, 2001
laramie wy
Wear asterisk braces and use some spandex so they dont pinch legs. In a monosuit I have yet to get cold. They help me stay more consistent warm, and I don't notice them in the way at all.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I also have custom fit CTI braces with the MX knee caps and wouldn't ride the sled or the bike without them.

BTW, I'm now riding a 2018 Summit SP and it seems to be mostly interference free.

Last edited:
K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
I also have custom fit CTI braces with the MX knee caps and wouldn't ride the sled or the bike without them.

BTW, I'm now riding a 2018 Summit SP and it seems to be mostly interference free.

How did you get your CTIs insurance or outright and how much were they if you don’t mind me asking. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
How did you get your CTIs insurance or outright and how much were they if you don’t mind me asking. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I know your question wasn't directed towards me, but I also have a pair of CTIs. I got my CTIs in 2005 (yeah, that's how good they are, 5 years of snocross, and many years of moto, and they're still in good shape)

I was fortunate enough to be sponsored by them, however IIRC around that time (2005) they were around ~$1,500 per knee. I have heard of guys going through their insurance...but everyone's coverage is different so it would be tough to say. Yes, insurance companies will cover the costs...a few grand is nothing compared to what they'd pay for knee surgery.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
I know your question wasn't directed towards me, but I also have a pair of CTIs. I got my CTIs in 2005 (yeah, that's how good they are, 5 years of snocross, and many years of moto, and they're still in good shape)

I was fortunate enough to be sponsored by them, however IIRC around that time (2005) they were around ~$1,500 per knee. I have heard of guys going through their insurance...but everyone's coverage is different so it would be tough to say. Yes, insurance companies will cover the costs...a few grand is nothing compared to what they'd pay for knee surgery.

I am really thinking this is the best option, I know it’s not cheap and I have known that for a while but I might have to pull the trigger and figure out how to get a pair.

M
Nov 26, 2001
laramie wy
My insurance said they would do one cti so the other was up to me to buy for the price( in 09) I think they were $1000 the asterisk were a bit cheaper and for a pair. Also now I wish the boa system was availabe. Would be a no brainer for that!

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
My insurance said they would do one cti so the other was up to me to buy for the price( in 09) I think they were $1000 the asterisk were a bit cheaper and for a pair. Also now I wish the boa system was availabe. Would be a no brainer for that!

IMHO, the Asterisk knee braces aren't even close to the same leauge as CTi2. Are they great braces? Yeah.

I had to meet with a doctor who then took multiple measurements (20+), and then sent the info off to CTi2. They then custom make your knee braces based on your leg measurements. Its like buying a suit off the rack, throwing it on and showing up to a wedding versus having a high end suite custom tailored.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven

Sorry, somehow I missed this. I went through insurance but it took MRIs on both knees, multiple visits to the ortho, and a couple of trips to the brace shop. If I were doing it again I'd check the cost to pay out of pocket and probably put it on an HSA.

Premium Features