• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

One Cylinder Not Firing

H
Jan 25, 2014
So I have a 2004 800 and as the title says I have one Cylinder that is not firing. The clutch side seems to be running fine, but the other side, not sure the technical name for it, isn't firing consistently. If the throttle is wide open it seems to kick in and it runs fines. As soon as It is idealing or mid throttle I have problems. I thought it might be the Carb or spark plugs, so i took that off cleaned it and changed the plugs. It didn't help much, so then I checked the reeds, made sure there were no cracks in the rubber boots connecting the reeds to the carbs. I even took the head off to make sure that I didn't melt or blow out an O ring. While the head was off I inspecting the cylinder and the wall, and it looked good. There was no scaring or rough spots, it looks like it has been definitely been getting oil and moves up and down without any issue. I am about out of Ideas at this point. One thing I have read a couple times is people having the choke stay open, so I will check that. As far as the electrical side of things I don't really know what to check besides the plugs. Are there any ideas out there?

you might try changing the o-ring on the on the float/assembly. because it might be leaking creating a to much fuel to air mixture at low speeds. Polaris does not have this part but these work Arctic Cat 6505-875. Or Regulator return line= GM#22516256, cross part number at any auto parts store.

Last edited:
H
Jan 25, 2014
Thanks I will put the O-ring on my list of things to check. I think I am pretty well done for the season so I am not in a hurry at this point.

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
You can isolate this to indicate it's a problem with that side or in the electrical by simply switching the plug wires from cylinder to cylinder. They batch fire so it won't hurt.

If you move the wires and the issue follows the wire then it's a bad wire or something in the electrical, CDI? I think. If the same cylinder stays dead then it's an issue with the carbs or something wrong internally in that cylinder.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
First you unscrew the plug connector for the plug wire. Then you snip about 1/2" off of the end of the plug wire. Then you screw the connector back on. Do the same for both. If that doesn't work, by pwc plug connectors, because they are waterproof, and install them. If that doesn't work, change out the CDI box from a compatible sled with the same box. If that doesn't change anything, change out the coil with a compatible sled. Carl's Cycle internet site give part numbers for all polaris sleds, so you can see if your buddies sled uses similar parts. If that doesn't work, well I don't know what to tell you.

Premium Features