• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does it hurt anything to pull skid back.

S
Jul 8, 2015
I am looking at a 98 polaris xc 700, I want to lower the mounting holes to the rear suspension/skid and extend the track, my problem is if I lower the skid my attack angle will be to sharp, is it ok for me to pull back the skid to make a better attack angle? Will it hurt anything? And if I extend the track to a 144 should I use a 136 extension and pull it back the extra 4"?

Thanks.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
You will need to do some tuning...

I'm not a fan of rail extensions. To answer your question, however... you can most definitely move your rear suspension back in the tunnel. Two things will result from this. 1) - you will have heavier steering, and will likely have to go to a stiffer front track shock spring to help correct this condition. 2) - you will be far more prone to stabbing the track - look into an anti-stab kit. Depending on your budget, you may be better off to find a complete rear skid from another longer tracked sled and install it into your chassis...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If you JUST slide it back and/or down with no spring or limiter strap adjustments:

You'll lessen your weight transfer and make your skis heavier.
You'll trench more.
Just don't get greedy and move it too far. Just move it back an inch or two at the very most.

Once you learn a lot about the geometry, you can mess with your spring pressures all around.
You can also mess with the rear scissor arm bottom mount.

Track stabbing could be an issue if you went a long ways or cut your rail tips off and shortened the front. However, moving your skid back just a conservative amount probably won't result in a track stabbing at all, especially if you have gone to larger drivers.

Premium Features