• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xtra 10 to soft

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
Last year I installed an xtra 10 skid into a indy 400. I bought new aftermarket shocks and installed them. I didn't replace the springs though. When I hit the gas or stand/sit further back on the seat the suspension compresses real easy, too easy. How can I fix this and stiffen it up a bit. Would moving the back pivot arm stop blocks to the forward position help. Would new springs also help. What would happen if i tighten up the spring tension on the front skid shock. Any help would be appreciated.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
My experience with that suspension in a 99 RMK 600 was that if the rear shocks needs rebuilt (or if it is a non-rebuildable, find a good set of Fox to get rebuilt), it will do this. Also helps to go to the larger diameter springs but that depends on rider weight.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Can you be sure the skid was mounted exactly where it was supposed to be? I wonder if the spacing between mounting points is off and you are not getting the coupling effect thereby holding all the weight on the rear springs.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
I took the mounting locations from the jbshocks site. Now I realize that there are supposed to be a couple different mounting measurements but I thought that they were for the longer 133/136 ones. I have no idea what it cane out of.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I put the Xtra 10 in a '94 XLT and had to play with it to get close. I ended up with a small gap between the scissor and the stop block but I gave up trying to chase that last bit.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
that gap between the front scissor stop seems kinda normal to me. mine wouldnt touch those unless you remove that useless rear limiter strap, and yank up super hard like when its stuck.
to the o.p: putting the rear sissor stops in the front hole, and even turning them to allow less movement will help a lot. once it hits those, it starts incorporating the front shock/spring, so stiffening that would be a step further.
you might also check the plastic slide that the rear springs slide up and down on. they are right behind the side bogies and use same mount. i got a x-10 here where those are worn clean through, and grinding their way through the aluminum underneath. this sleds a well used ol whore tho.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
Volcano buster. in that 3rd picture where the gap is, shouldn't the stop block be in one of the two the holes on the other side of the arm (left side in the picture). Or am I seeing something different.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
You would think so too. This is the way the skid was when I bought it in the 700 that it came with. Ideally there were blocks on both sides of the scissor arm but I didn't ride it long enough to worry about it.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
I took another look at mine and I have stop blocks on both sides of the arm. The ones at the rear are in the furthest back hole. When the suspension compresses it goes down until arm contacts the block and only then, the front shock starts to compress. When I finally get my sons f5 and my rx1 out of the garage tomorrow I will thaw the Indy out and move the rear blocks to the forward hole and see what difference that makes

Premium Features