• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aditional Cooling on a Boosted Nytro?

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Ya, I am a bit concerned with clearance.
Between the KMOD suspension which sits higher in the tunnel and the Skinz under tunnel exhaust I have to be careful what I try and stuff up in there! :face-icon-small-hap

My track touches the tip of my muffer right now. You can see where it has cut a line in the track from repeated impacts. It was find before the KMOD was installed, but that suspension sits just high enough up in the track that when it is fully compressed it touches the exhaust tip.

I run a KMOD and have a custom gas tank that drops into my tunnel 2.5 inches, plus a cooler for my air/water inter-cooler from NM.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Sorry for the wait. The pics are a little dark, so I did my best. The cooler is built according to your tunnel size and mine was a 174. I will say that the cooler took up the entire tail section of my tunnel. so I assume it will do the same for a 162 and so on.

My cooler measurements are:
25 inches long
16 3/8 wide

My gas tank sits 2.5 inches down into the tunnel and there is 3 3/8 inches between the top of my 2.5 Cam extreme and the bottom of my tank with a 2013 KMOD suspension.

There is 1.5 inches from the top of my track to the bottom of the cooler extrusion that runs along the top right of the tunnel

photo 1 (9).JPG photo 2 (9).JPG photo 2 (10).JPG photo 3 (4).JPG photo 4 (4).JPG

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Pelon can you post a side picture of your sled? Im going tube tunnel and kmod this year and am now concerned with tunnel clearance. Id like to see the profile of your tunnel.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
. The cooler is built according to your tunnel size and mine was a 174. I will say that the cooler took up the entire tail section of my tunnel. so I assume it will do the same for a 162 and so on.
How did I miss that tidbit of information on their web site?
I thought they were selling a "One size fits all".
If they are custom manufacturing it, then you could get all the cooling your heart desires in the tail end of the tunnel.
That would work VERY WELL for my situation!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
i was just on ebay and there is a used set of the mpi coolers for $250 shipped which seems like a decent deal. (not mine of course)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-14-Yam...Parts_Accessories&hash=item417a04e201&vxp=mtr

$_14.JPG

$_14.JPG

$_14.JPG

Mountain Performance Inc. large tunnel coolers for Yamaha Nytro MTX. Used. Perfect condtion.

SUPER SIZED NYTRO TUNNEL COOLERThe OEM Nytro cooling system is often inadequate for the higher cooling demands of high horsepower supercharged and turbo charged snowmobiles. Drawing from our 12 years of Yamaha Tunnel and Cooling experience base, we designed the tunnel coolers to work with even the largest tracks without modification to the tunnels appearance.This kit can be used with or without the OEM radiator. This makes it possible to shed even more weight from the snowmobile while still enhancing the overall cooling system. This is no little cooler. The actual extrusion measures just over 8 feet long. YES! E I G H T FEET. Compare this to the OE tunnel cooler that isn't even 2 feet long!!Performance improvements are HUGE! Typically 60 degrees cooler with our tunnel cooler and the OE Radiator. Typically 40 degrees cooler with our cooler only (that's you eliminating the OE radiator and OE tunnel cooler). Our XTX Nytro (stock radiator and No OEM Tunnel cooler) ran typical temps over 200deg. WITH OUR NEW COOLER AND THE OE RADIATOR our max temps are 150deg and 110deg in the powder (actually to cool). We are going to pull the OE cooler on this unit.Our 2010 MTX Special Addition (stock radiator and OEM tunnel cooler) ran typical temps close to 200deg. With our new cooler only (deleted the radiator), our max temps are 160deg. The sled without the radiator actually idles cooler because without the sled moving, the OE radiator is actually adding heat. FEATURES: - Best Heat Exchanger Design Available. 8 feet in length!!! - 100% Tig Welded & Pressure Tested - Works with Stock and most Aftermarket Exhaust Systems - Includes Hoses, Clamps & Rivets. Everything required.The Radiator delete kit includes a degas bottle to help keep the air out of the system and provide a location for filling. It uses the OE Yamaha radiator cap.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
How did I miss that tidbit of information on their web site?
I thought they were selling a "One size fits all".
If they are custom manufacturing it, then you could get all the cooling your heart desires in the tail end of the tunnel.
That would work VERY WELL for my situation!

I called them to order mine and she specifically asked what tunnel size I was running. The 174 will require a little more reach.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Much COLDER day today than last weekend.
Much more fresh snow.
And NO overheating waring lights.
Was able to do some LONG full throttle pulls, 3/4-1 mile without triggering the warning light!

Shows what a big impact ambient conditions have on the engine cooling system.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Christopher I am in the same sitch as you. On days with any loose snow sled runs cool. On hard trails it over heats. I am still going to put a u cooler in the back of the tunnel and dump the radiator on my 270McXpress Nytro. It will run better, safer and make more power if I can get the coolant temps on the 150-165 range and keep them there. I am also going to put a guage on it so I know what's going on, not just that its too hot. I also like opening up the area behind the intercooler and moving weight off the front.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think I will also add additional cooling. Not sure if I will go for the radiator delete or not yet. I DO like the idea of reducing some of the steam coming off the front end though..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Just to clear up a few questions I've had regarding the tunnel cooler kit we offer.

The new style design runs down and then returns back upside down. This creates a shelf for the snow to rest on and allows us to DOUBLE the amount of cooling we get from our design by cooling on BOTH SIDES.

This photo is looking down through the top.

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
I think I will also add additional cooling. Not sure if I will go for the radiator delete or not yet. I DO like the idea of reducing some of the steam coming off the front end though..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

get rid of the rad and fan. It is an un-necessary addition when a proper cooling sytem such as MPI or Van Amburg is used.

good luck and bottoms up:face-icon-small-coo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
get rid of the rad and fan. It is an un-necessary addition when a proper cooling sytem such as MPI or Van Amburg is used.

good luck and bottoms up:face-icon-small-coo
You really think there is just NO NEED for it at all after the additional cooling is installed?

Premium Features