• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

670 power loss problem?

O
Mar 13, 2011
Hi,

My summit 670 lately has been running good when cold started and idling and after i take off its got good power, and crackin the trottle full it goes to about 7400 rpms, but after riding for a while, and i stop and its still running it barely can idle at all and i have to keep it going with the throttle, and after i take off again i can only get about 6200 rpms and seems to run really rough the rest of the ride.

So what could cause this??, and feedback would be appreciated.
and ive donea quick clean on carbs and still the same thing so i dont know??

Thanks!

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
You should be getting near 8000 on the top-end....

Does it seem rich? Loading up at idle? Does it leave a black exhaust track on the snow everytime you hammer the throttle? Maybe your HAC has gone south.....

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
The HAC's are common to go out. When they do, the sled goes full-rich, and can make it a real boggy turd. If you think that this is a problem, I have covered removing the HAC several times here on the forum, do a search, and you should be able to find it. Simple solution, it only takes buying some main jets and some pilots... But, before you get drastic and rip it all off though, look over all the HAC hoses, making sure one did not come off, cracked hose, etc. If the system is not sealed, it does not work...

Another thing- Clutching on 670's is critical. If you have old, worn out or dirty clutches, it will make it a dog on the bottom and even worse on top. Go through your clutches thoroughly.

O
Mar 13, 2011
The HAC's are common to go out. When they do, the sled goes full-rich, and can make it a real boggy turd. If you think that this is a problem, I have covered removing the HAC several times here on the forum, do a search, and you should be able to find it. Simple solution, it only takes buying some main jets and some pilots... But, before you get drastic and rip it all off though, look over all the HAC hoses, making sure one did not come off, cracked hose, etc. If the system is not sealed, it does not work...

Another thing- Clutching on 670's is critical. If you have old, worn out or dirty clutches, it will make it a dog on the bottom and even worse on top. Go through your clutches thoroughly.

Thanks for the tip!, my hoses look good so how do i know if the HAC is bad? and my clutches were just checked and my primary was rebuild 2 years back so i thing they are good, but how do i know if they are dirty or not??
Thanks!

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
If your carbs are clean, adjusted properly, the float levels are correct, and your sled suddenly seems to be running "rich"... your HAC is bad... lol

Honestly, I know of no real way to check its calibration. It has a rubber diaphram inside, that if it gets damaged (by age, wear, exposure to fuel, etc), it simply quits regulating the air pressure in the float bowels, and the carbs then go full rich. You can either buy a new one (expensive), a used one (hope that it too, is not bad), or just get rid of the darn thing. I ride within a 2000' elevation spread, and for me, I don't need altitude compensation, so I have always removed them...

I have one, possibly two HAC assemblies laying around. Not sure if they work or not, but you are welcome to them for the price of shipping, if you wanted to give that a try...

O
Mar 13, 2011
Thanks! My compression shows 145 on both cylinders and at this point looks like it might be either plug caps or wires?

Premium Features