• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1992 Formula Plus E 582 electrical problems

J
Feb 12, 2011
SW Michigan
Hey guys. Here it goes. This sled ran great last year until the very end of the season when the rpm dropped from around 1900 to 1500, but held that rpm ok. This year it idles anywhere from 2500 to 1500 and wants to die out now in the lower range. Did all the obvious. Went through carbs, all jets holes, soaked body. Checked intake boots, no problems. Set air speed to 1.5 as per manual, synched carbs and tried to get the idle at around 1800-2000. The idle will not adjust smoothly, either too high or too low where it dies out. Revs up great, no bog and holds 4000 rpm without problem.Now i see ALOT of oil in exhaust and on spark plugs. Oiler set same as last year and doesn't over smoke when running.

OK, so I noticed the battery(which has never held a charge since i bought it last year) was hooked up backwards, my fault. So now the battery is not charging (did last year), but all gauges, headlight/taillight work. Checked and tested inline 30A fuse to starter/battery and checks out good. Pull tested stator and it puts out 10-11 volts (avg of 7 readings). Also pulled one plug wire at a time and it never died. Could hooking it up backwards damaged any ignition components causing weak spark?

Last edited:
J
Feb 12, 2011
SW Michigan
I looked at the elec diagram for this sled and now see that the elec start(which this has) are the only models with a rectifier all others had regulators only. So i guess this means all lights and gauges are AC and the rectifier only charges the battery. Does this sound right? So would a reversed hook up on the battery damage the rectifier?? I will have to put everything back together to test it for voltage.

How are the crank seals checked? Leak down test? Have done this on 4 stroke but never 2 stroke. Not sure if it would work for these seals on these. Thx

J
Feb 12, 2011
SW Michigan
That's a thought. something to ck. Can't wait for temps to drop. Gonna be in upper 50's and 60's here for at least a few days. Is it ever gonna snow:face-icon-small-con

J
Feb 12, 2011
SW Michigan
OK so I tested the stator and here's what i found. Can someone decipher...

- Resistance on generating coil came back at 0.0 - not sure how this is possible. The spec range is 40-76. How could it even run like this??
- AC voltage was between 10-11 ( avg after 7 pulls w/ spark plugs removed ). No idea what this should be
- Lighting coil ck'd out good

J
Feb 12, 2011
SW Michigan
OK, so I did a leak down test. What a pain, but I am confident in the seals now. Repeated test several times on each cyl. just for the heck of it I retested the electrical. I was surprised to see the stator(generating coil) now showed 54.5(cold). This is well within the specs of 40 to76. So i seen that this test I have the connector to the ignition and what not unplugged. Plugged it back in and got a reading of 0.0 again. So I had an AHA! moment. I pulled the kill switch retested and now the stator tested 54.5 again.
Now it makes sense to me...duh. So the kill switch grounds the coil so no spark and thusly shows no resistance to ground when it's on. I have a new PTO side needle jet on order (last owner installed a slightly larger size) and one size smaller mains. Since I don't run this thing in very cold weather, I have no problem doing this. Can always switch them back if too lean. So i'm gonna install the jets soon, put it back together and wait for some cooler weather. We'll see what happens

modify_inline.gif

J
Feb 12, 2011
SW Michigan
I'll look at the top gaskets and when I get the correct jets in, probably monday, i can put her together and mess with the primer lines. I'm almost 100% it's fuel related. I know the fuel lines are staying full so no pump issues. not much left to check out. Just waiting for the parts now. Thanks everyone. i will be sure to post if they work out. So annoying when u never find out what the solution to the problem was. thx again for the help

J
Feb 12, 2011
SW Michigan
Well, we finally have some snow so i have 40 miles on it and it runs good with the new jetting. Definitely a noticeable change at full throttle. The idle issue is still there though. Also at mid throttle it seems to lack power. Overall very rideable.

Premium Features