• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hot Hot Clutches on 2011 m8

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
If your sled is making a whining noise I would make sure your DD has adequate fluid in it. Is there any oil type residue behind your secondary anywhere at all? My DD on my old 08 did that a few rides before the DD grenaded, from lack of oil, and yes, it was my fault. This could very well be your problem. Good luck.

Here is the vid clip where I actually blew the DD. You can hear the sled whine through the entire video. If yours sounds like this, you need to service your Diamond Drive ASAP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ozVTb0KiQ

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
clutch hot

we all know that hot clutch's simply means rubber slipping on aluminum.

So slipping also means as your engine goes around, your track is not going around so much. Some would call that poor performance.

So slipping can be minimized, takes effort, some of it mundane. 1000 threads on here to fix the problem. So take the sled to someone that knows and pay them money and don't act hurt when its expensive.

Or........slow down, take the time to read and test and experiment. Or take up chess.

Instant gratification is..............elusive.

B
Oct 29, 2011
I am going to take the M to the Arctic Cat dealer in Anchorage this time, different dealer. He seems to have an idea of what might be going on. He said you have to use a different alignment bar for the 2010 and 2011 M8 sleds. If you are using an alignment bar from 2009 or older, it's the wrong bar and your measurement will be off. Some dealerships don't know this I guess. He also said there is good chance the bearing in the DD may be bad and they have a better replacement. The sled is still under warranty so getting a second opinion. I'm also going to do some venting and install the M7 torque stop check motormounts and track tension. Will report what they find

Last edited:
B
Oct 29, 2011
Update. Dealer in Anchorage said Alignment on secondary was way off. Way too many shims. Lesson here is not all dealerships are equal. This service department was much more knowledgable on the M8. I'm not bashing the other dealership, maybe they don't see many m8s but these guys were abel to answer all my questions, not just tell me clutches get hot, deal with it. Also the strange whine is gone. Just wanted to let you guys know the outcome

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
That sounds good, glad to hear that they got it figured out for you. Should be able to rip on it now.

Premium Features