• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FASTRAX P85 CONV. V/S 09 CAT PRIMARY

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
I like what i see so far
cat 11.4 lbs calibrated
p85 9 lbs flat
2.4 pounds, that's worth a grin:face-icon-small-hap
ya its just a digital bath scale, but the difference in
weights is what i am concerned with.
MM

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
So what affect will the lighter clutch have on the motor I wonder? Does the motor benefit from the dampening of the heavier Cat clutch?

Very interesting... so the Cat clutch weighs 2.4 pounds more but breaks easier... hmmm.

sled_guy

M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
I have noticed a couple things with my P85, one its quite a bit harder to pull over when cold starting, and two it feels like it revs up quicker with a smoother engagement. Now if only we could get dumped on with snow I would be happy!!

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Fastrax, but you ain't gonna like the price!

Yeah, what are they thinking.... trying to run a business in this economy.... :face-icon-small-ton

This season I have a STM billet 11" secondary to go with the P85, geared it down to 2:17 and put a 3" camo on it. One ride so far and I had to max out the heel on the Heel Clickers. Grin city all day...
BTW, I can run the 1115 Polaris belt now.... :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I have noticed a couple things with my P85, one its quite a bit harder to pull over when cold starting, and two it feels like it revs up quicker with a smoother engagement. Now if only we could get dumped on with snow I would be happy!!

The quicker reving makes sense because it's both smaller diameter and lighter.

Not sure the clutch has anything to do with being harder to pull over though. With proper belt tension it should actually be easier for the same reasons that it revs quicker........if you could feel anything at all that is.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
The quicker reving makes sense because it's both smaller diameter and lighter.

Not sure the clutch has anything to do with being harder to pull over though. With proper belt tension it should actually be easier for the same reasons that it revs quicker........if you could feel anything at all that is.

Ever tried to start a sled motor with no clutch on it? It is damn near impossible. The clutch is defiantly a damper.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Ever tried to start a sled motor with no clutch on it? It is damn near impossible. The clutch is defiantly a damper.

Actually no, so maybe I am talking out of my a$$ here.

I could see how having the weight would be a damper, but why would less damping (lighter clutch) make it more difficult to actually start? Spins too fast?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Actually no, so maybe I am talking out of my a$$ here.

I could see how having the weight would be a damper, but why would less damping (lighter clutch) make it more difficult to actually start? Spins too fast?

The weight of the clutch helps the engine rotate while pulling over. Take the clutch off and try to pull it over! It will take two hands and it feels like the engine is locked up.

Premium Features