• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo smart boost controller question

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Hey guys i was wondering who has taken the ball and spring out to help with boost spikes and if it works. Thanks:beer;

J

j_w10

Mar 8, 2009
ball and spring

I have one and just installed a impulse. first little run on it it ran at 15 psi with the dial turned all the way out. instructions say waste gate is set to 12 psi. Talked too paul about it he said that if i take it out it should drop about 5 psi. i took it out just got no snow too try it now.

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
Spring

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the ball and spring acting as the check valve? The more turns in on the dial adds spring pressure holding the valva closed longer creating more boost. Was my understanding anyways. Its just a simple control valve, I actually have the same one on my car.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You can run it either way. I run mine without the ball and spring. It is supposed to eliminate spiking. I know guys who run with the ball and spring in. My thought is just a couple less parts to freeze up.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Even on the turbosmart web site they say if you take the ball and spring out that will help with spikes.. I have taken mine out.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Okay, so what in the world is the reason for the ball and spring? They must have a reason to put it in there.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Different applications. It is the gate system that is being disabled to prevent spiking. Can't attach the whole file but here is the bit that matters:

BOOST SPIKING
If boost spiking occurs and is undesirable for your application, the gate system can be removed to give you a less aggressive boost
curve. This modification is only required in a minimal number of applications.
IMPORTANT NOTES ON GATE SYSTEM REMOVAL
The gate system can be removed by the following steps.
Perform this modification on a clean bench so that the ball and spring are not lost
• Allow the engine to cool down before removing the Boost Tee from your vehicle
• Identify the input nipple with the restrictor at the end. Loosen the input nipple and remove the ball and spring.
• Check that the internal air passages are clear and free from debris
• Re-install the boost controller by following the instructions for your setup
• You will need to re-adjust your boost settings after the removal of the gate.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
I have one and just installed a impulse. first little run on it it ran at 15 psi with the dial turned all the way out. instructions say waste gate is set to 12 psi. Talked too paul about it he said that if i take it out it should drop about 5 psi. i took it out just got no snow too try it now.

The only way you will lower it is to lengthen the wastegate rod, it will have a threaded end. The boost valve (controller) won't let you adjust it any lower than the wastegate rod adjustment.

Premium Features